I <3 the treadmill!

Options
aippolito1
aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
Last night, I decided to leave my phone/pedometer in my pocket and see how the calories differed from what the treadmill tells me I burn. My phone has me put in my weight and height, versus just my weight like the treadmill does so I figure it's more accurate. I ended up burning 60 more calories than the treadmill said and ended up pushing myself harder because of it!

I ran half a mile in two separate intervals, each a quarter mile with walking in between, plus a 5-minute warm up and cool down of walking. I used to think my breathing during running was fine but lately I've been working on the 2-1 breathing, 2 steps breathe in, 1 step breathe out. And I'm really getting the hang of it...and it's helping me to be able to run further & faster! I'm up to 5.7mph from 5.0mph in January and even that feels like I'm JOGGING now! I love ittt!!!

I can't wait to run again today. I'm seriously getting addicted now. I was doing the elliptical for "easy calorie burn" before but now I'm back to my beloved treadmill. I just can't give it up!

Oh, and get this... my phone tells me my fastest speed was 11.3mph. That can't be right...can it??

Replies

• miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    Glad you are pushing yourself harder, that will give the body the shock it needs, to make you burn more.

Good job, keep it up
  • lpuggi
    lpuggi Posts: 31
    Options
    I've just started running again myself, and I know that feeling of loving it! Keep up the good work!
  • JJRunning
    JJRunning Posts: 146
    Options
    That's awesome!! What phone do you have? Also, the MPH is probably right. I usually run at 6.0 to 6.3 and the treadmill says 6.0 is 10 MPH (I would think the distance calc on the treadmill is more accurate than the calorie calc). Anway... good work! Glad you enjoy running!!!! :laugh:
  • aippolito1
    Options
    I have the Sony Ericsson W580i. You can select "running" and it tells you how many steps you've gone, how many miles, calories burned, plus average speed, highest speed and of course, time. Since I actually had it in my pocket, AGAINST me, I definitely think it's more accurate than the treadmill but the whole 11.3mph thing is throwing me off... that's a big difference from the treadmill!

Since 5.7mph last night seemed slow, tonight I think I want to try 5.9mph or 6.0mph!!! Last summer, I tried running at 7 and I thought I was going to die but it's fun to work my way up! I want to be FAST!!!
  • pearlyfatcat
    pearlyfatcat Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I think what may be confusing you is that 6 is a level not mph so if you are running on level 6 you could be going at 10 or 11mph. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!
  • aippolito1
    Options
    No, I'm pretty sure it says "mph" somewhere on the treadmill - I'll look tonight when I'm there.
  • pearlyfatcat
    pearlyfatcat Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Ok, now I am confused too! Let me know what you find out!
  • aippolito1
    Options
    So the treadmill says "speed"... I guess I just assumed it was MPH. Boo.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!