Fitbit or Bodymedia fit... or........

Options
Looking into these trackers. Any suggestions?

Replies

• crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I don't have experience with those, but I like my Striiv. It tracks steps, stairs, calories burned, distance, and running steps. It's also designed to be addictive - gives you challenges throughout the day, donates to charity the more you walk, etc. - so you get up and move more.
  • sirabe
    sirabe Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I love my bodymedia fit.
  • mrsbrodeur
    mrsbrodeur Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I was curious about fitbit myself (seeing the adds everywhere).
  • gvheintz
    gvheintz Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit ... I've had it just over a month.
  • idream2bgwen
    idream2bgwen Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    OH! I want to see what everybody says on this! :bigsmile:
  • Kris1997
    Kris1997 Posts: 241
    Options
    I need instant gratification LOL I'm hoping that since the scale takes forever to change. That seeing my efforts on one of these might keep me motivated.
  • Jentorres8814
    Jentorres8814 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I use the bodymedia..it's GREAT! I did have an activelink but I lost it during a road race. The bodymedia fits nicely on anyone's arm so you don't have to worry about losing it while your being active.
  • meeka472
    meeka472 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I actually have both. I use fitbit for the social aspect (i.e. tracking activity with friends) and for tracking general steps. I link my bodymedia to myfitnesspal because I feel that the calorie burn on there is more accurate.

Of the two if I were to choose one for weight loss I would choose the bodymedia.
  • emilybeatrice1
    emilybeatrice1 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I love my bodymedia... its awesome
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kitkat40
    kitkat40 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit, love it; but i keep losing the darn thing I"m on number 4! It does work well with MFP.
    If you get it ~ go to Radio Shack and get warranty they cover stuff like it was counting stairs wrong so they ordered me a new one right away! Never heard back from fitbit!
    Fitbit really keeps me walking more. Also, theres a website, earn it where you can get points to exercise and win free stuff (no strings / and you can use other products to get points)
    Hope this helps!
    Kathy
  • foxbat2828
    foxbat2828 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Just got a FitBit for Christmas yesterday from my in-laws. Used it yesterday and today for about 24-hours of tracking. Seems to do a decent job so far, although I've only been using it for about 24 hours. Tracked sleep last night and it seemed to be accurate on waking/sleeping estimates.

Calorie burn on elliptical seemed to be higher than the elliptical machine at the gym estimates for calories, but I'm also just using general settings on the elliptical for age/weight, so I'll probably need to monitor that a little more. Like the steps monitored ... got a pretty good glimpse of how sedentary I was for Christmas Day ... it's always a "pajama day" for the kids and we always tell them that we will not go out and that the whole day is just our family being together ... so it tends to be a "sitting around" day. Today's much different and back to semi-normal ... time in the gym, shoveling snow, etc. so I'll be interested to see how the various step goals, etc. pan out. Seems to accurately measure stairs climbed as well (living in a 3-story house it's pretty easy to verify FitBit's counting).

Still getting used to the synching with MyFitnessPal and FitBit, but it looks like it's synching up correctly. The biggest thing that I need to take a look at is how it tracks/estimates the differential between the two sites. So far today, it's showing my differential as the gym activity, but I can't imagine that it will be that specific (perhaps it's already made it's original estimate and is now doing incremental estimates). Again, will need to verify this more.

FitBit's pretty non-intrusive, but does take some reading to figure out ... not overly intuitive from scratch. Nonetheless, it's pretty easy to get it working once you read the directions ... not overly complicated in set-up or using it.
  • FitForLife81
    FitForLife81 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit and love it!!! I have been maintaining off using this in combo with my heart rate monitor for high impact cardio. I also like that it is small and no one knows you are wearing it unlike the bodyfit media!
  • johnnlinda
    Options
    I've had the fitbit one for 2 months now. I am still using it and loving it. It logs, steps, calories, stairs and sleep. I never knew I wake up so much at night. I love the competition side of it. I have about 4 people that I am always trying to stay ahead of. Keeps me moving.
    It is small enough to hide under your clothes. The only downside I see is I am always checking to make sure I didn't lose it. I'm actually looking into the Nike+Fuel band to complement my fitbit.
    Or the Basis, when it comes out. It looks really good.
    https://www.facebook.com/mybasis
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    100% BodyMedia Fit Link if you have a smartphone, for sure... Having a real time calorie count that is monitored even when you are resting really helps you get an idea of your TDEE and how it can change from day to day. If you're going to spend 100 bucks or more on something, it definitely seems a better bang for your buck, especially with all of the integration that you have now with MFP, HRMs, and scales.

FitBit only works if you are moving around so I guess if you want to monitor exercise only, it could work but for me, I wanted something that could give me a total picture. When I first adjusted my numbers with the BMFL, I was stuck, and then started dropping about 3lbs every 6 days or so. There's so much good information that it can provide you, and it is great that it can link up with smartphones so you can see your calorie burn up to the minute, as well as use the built in MP3 player to create workouts with prompts to your own music, and see your intensity in real time during workouts.

As you can probably tell, I think it's one of the best investments I've made for my fitness.

Oh, and FYI... while the BM is designed for your left arm, you can also where it on your calf if you are worried about it being seen. However, I've found that it's been a great conversation starter and actually helped me encourage people in my office to look into becoming more active along with me. I'm not ashamed of getting healthier... :) Also, when my doctor saw me wearing it, he was absolutely elated.
  • Donna6017
    Donna6017 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Love my Fitbit One!
  • chelery04
    chelery04 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've had the Bodymedia Core for about a month now and I love it. I was always waking up tired and since it keeps track of your sleep it really helped me out with that one. Plus it works well with MFP, seems to be more accurate too. Highly recommend it :)
  • Kris1997
    Kris1997 Posts: 241
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I have some cash from Christmas, so I'm trying to figure out which purchase would be best.
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I had a Fitbit, now I have the BodyMedia Fit Link... I think I'd go with the Fitbit. My only issue with it was that it would fall off if I wore it on my pocket. I was clipping it to my bra but it's kind of awkward when I want to see how many steps I've taken. Reach down into my shirt... yeah you get the idea. I am debating selling my BMF and getting the Fitbit One...
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I have the BodyMedia Fit and I have not regretted it at ALL. I would recommend it for sure. My mother used to be a FitBit user, but has defected to Bodymedia now as well.