very easy healthy bag dinner

rb32497
rb32497 Posts: 16 Member
edited September 20 in Recipes
This meal is so easy. It has became one of my favorites. It's a great way to get plenty of veggies in your diet.
I have been buying these oven bags at the store. You put can any kind of meat in them. Last night I used 4 pork chops. I stopped by ingles salad bar and picked up about 1/2 lb of veggies like mushrooms, onions, carrotts, onions, and peppers. I did this becuase the are pre cut and cheaper than buying each veggie whole. I believe they cost me 3 bucks. I had a can of mixed can veggies at the house. The can had potatoes, celery, peas, and carrots in it. Make sure you buy the ones that are cut large and not the small cut ones.

Now, all you do is throw all the meat and veggies in the oven bag. I usually add some things like salt, pepper, garlic, lime, and beer. Tie the bag and cook the food. It taste so great! The meat will flavor the veggies and the veggies help flavor the meat. I have done this with Chicken as well and the chicken taste the best I think. Cook the pork on a low temp. If you use chicken cook it on 325. This morning I threw the left overs in a pan with an egg. It was even better!!!!

Let me know what you'll think.

Replies

• Granny2b
    Granny2b Posts: 91
    Sounds yummy..........ill try it X
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Oven bags like you'd use for a turkey? I never thought of that! I want to try it. :)
  • emarcia28
    emarcia28 Posts: 140 Member
    ooh cool..reminds me of a crockpot since u throw everything in one pot but its a bag u throw in the oven nice...gotta try it!
  • Are you using the small oven bags or a larger one? Also do you put any sort of oil or spray on it first?
  • rb32497
    It is just a medium sized bag. No I do not put any kind of oil or spray in it. It has never stuck to the bag or any thing like that.

I generally marinate or pre season my meat and veggies. I let them sit in the bag all day while I teach School. Tonight I am having steak. I have 2 ribeye's marinating with green beans, snap peas, onions, mushrooms, and peppers. It is marinating in a teriyaki sauce. For my veggies I will usually grab them from the Salad bar at ingles. This helps so I do not have to cut up my own veggies. I usually get about 1/2 of them. Sometimes I will add a can of Veg-all
  • rb32497
    It is just a medium sized bag. No I do not put any kind of oil or spray in it. It has never stuck to the bag or any thing like that.

I generally marinate or pre season my meat and veggies. I let them sit in the bag all day while I teach School. Tonight I am having steak. I have 2 ribeye's marinating with green beans, snap peas, onions, mushrooms, and peppers. It is marinating in a teriyaki sauce. For my veggies I will usually grab them from the Salad bar at ingles. This helps so I do not have to cut up my own veggies. I usually get about 1/2 of them. Sometimes I will add a can of Veg-all
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    I'll have to try that. I've tried the steamer bags for veggies like green beans and asparagus but I haven't tried the oven bags yet.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Are you using the small oven bags or a larger one? Also do you put any sort of oil or spray on it first?
    I think the box they come in suggest adding and shaping like a 1 T. of flour before you fill it so the bag doesn't explode. Don't know why it would as they also suggest you cut slits at the top for steam. I just do it. lol

Love the salad bar idea, definitely a great way to get lots of veggies for a meal without having to buy bags all seperate!! Thanks for the tips!
  • rb32497
    I've never added flour or anything like that. Just a couple slits and maybe a dash of beer. Never had an explosion or anything
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    I've never added flour or anything like that. Just a couple slits and maybe a dash of beer. Never had an explosion or anything
    maybe it's the beer, never added beer, might keep it from exploding:drinker:
This discussion has been closed.