Has anyone done Bodypump?

Options
And if so did you get good results? I think I am going to start this class after the first of the year but I am wondering if it is worth it or if there are better classes out there. I think i need the class setting rather than just going to the gym not knowing what I am doing.

Replies

• Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I do it 2 or 3 times a week. I find it's a good change of pace from the usual cardio of running and biking I do. I think it's a good all around workout
  • Jo5ie
    Jo5ie Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I've done pump twice a week for nearly 2 years and the results are obvious. It will tone every muscle you have and it's fun. I love it so highly recommend you give it a go!
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I've taken a few classes. I'm not a fan because it's more like cardio with weights than actual strength training, which is fine for some people. Also you have to take like 3-4 classes before you actually get a good idea of just how much weight you should be using for each exercise which can get annoying because it makes you feel like your first two weeks worth of classes were more practice for the workouts than actual workouts themselves.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I've never done it - but I have several friends who really like it and go regularly.
  • traceytwink
    traceytwink Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I've been doing body pump for the last year now, it's toned me up no end its great if you want to lose inches as well as weight go for it you will enjoy it x
  • Momwasix
    Momwasix Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I've tried one of them on youtube look it up.
  • Phoenixchichima
    Options
    used to belong to a gym with it & very much liked it. unfortunately the gym closed...
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I loved it so much that I am now an instructor. The results aren't going to be the same as the weight room, but I've seen adding this to a regular schedule really make fat loss impacts for many participants. I'm also a body step instructor and I can tell within 6 weeks when one of my cardio bunnies adds 3 days a week of pump to their schedule.
  • mamenta
    Options
    It has good music, it is a fun atmosphere and you use all of the muscle groups... The first time
    you should use low weights because each song could last up to 5 minutes..
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I've taken Group Power which is similar.... and LOVED IT!
  • anonymousKel
    anonymousKel Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    its awesome once you get into it..then take a break for hols or whatever, you really miss it. Some weigh lifting only guys tried it thinking this is easy but couldnt keep up. They didnt listen when the instructor told them to lower the weights they usually lift as its a longer exercise and many more reps.

Works a treat. Enjoy. I cant wait to get back to it ..twice a week.

K x
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Only if the class is of a finite length and can teach you the basics of lifting.
  • deegee44
    deegee44 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Body Pump is fab! you will see a difference if you do it consistently. Spinning classes are great for weight loss also. Go for it girl! :smile:
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    Options
    Only if the class is of a finite length and can teach you the basics of lifting.

Hey, Taso, what do you mean "of a finite length?" As far as basics, that is one of the reasons I'm such a huge proponent of it, as long as you have a good teacher who knows what they are doing its a really good introduction to bar lifting. It has some safety measures that they use to enhance safety in a group lifting environment that you wouldn't really see in a weight room environment though.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

Hey, Taso, what do you mean "of a finite length?" As far as basics, that is one of the reasons I'm such a huge proponent of it, as long as you have a good teacher who knows what they are doing its a really good introduction to bar lifting. It has some safety measures that they use to enhance safety in a group lifting environment that you wouldn't really see in a weight room environment though.

I guess that's what I mean... that it lasts for a certain amount of sessions. Like 12 or something. And after 12 (or however many) sessions you should have gained some good understanding and can venture out on your own without attending the class.

I guess I'm a little biased against group fitness classes. I feel (possibly unfairly) that they're a racket designed to make you keep coming back. Instead of teaching you some skills that you can take away.

Like, imagine going to a cooking school, but any time you want to make some dinner, you need to head out to cooking class and see what they're "teaching" on this particular evening...

My wife goes to Yoga regularly and I give her crap about it for the same reasons.
  • laurarpa
    laurarpa Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    it's fun. I still mix it in with regular weight training. It's a good way to get bit by weight training bug :). And sometimes I'm way more sore after a BP class than I am from a good lifting session.

Start off slow but don't use the same very light weights week after week after week (I see that a lot in some of the classes I take) ... as you adjust, challenge yourself. enjoy!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    Options

I guess that's what I mean... that it lasts for a certain amount of sessions. Like 12 or something. And after 12 (or however many) sessions you should have gained some good understanding and can venture out on your own without attending the class.

I guess I'm a little biased against group fitness classes. I feel (possibly unfairly) that they're a racket designed to make you keep coming back. Instead of teaching you some skills that you can take away.

Like, imagine going to a cooking school, but any time you want to make some dinner, you need to head out to cooking class and see what they're "teaching" on this particular evening...

My wife goes to Yoga regularly and I give her crap about it for the same reasons.

I suppose it's dependent on the type of environment you're in and the available instructors. It's not like with some personal trainer where they can customize each workout to such an extent that they keep you dependent on them. Bodypump is set up by song warm up, squats, bench press, glutes back & hamstrings (rows, dead lift - mainly Romanian type, and clean and press variations), triceps, biceps, lunges, shoulders, abs, stretch.

If someone comes to me about moving into the weight room I'll suggest some lifting programs, but I'm not a personal trainer so I can't offer them personal training. However, I will invite my friends to join me in the weight room. Bodypump is lifting for endurance and uses a lighter weight. Bp you squat for 5 minutes constantly, weight room you for x number of reps for y number of sets aiming for failure.
  • sjeagle30
    sjeagle30 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the comments. I am looking forward to starting it next week!!!