Ladies-Birth Control Question

Options
Hi All! I have some questions about birth control and weight loss as I'm amping myself up for getting back into the groove after the holidays. Anyway, some background-

I started my journey the end of January last year at a starting weight of 207 lbs. and wearing a size 20-22 (ugh!). From January to June, I lost a total of 37 lbs. and am now wearing a size 14. In June, I hit a stand-still in my weight and figured it was all due to the dreaded plateau. I kept up with watching my food intake and working out 5x a week. Since June, I am still at the same weight as I was in June. I'm not gaining, but I'm not losing either. Oddly, though, I have dropped almost a full size since June, even without weight loss. I am still confused as to why things haven't progressed since the summer.

I was thinking about this the other day, and realized that I had my last pap smear at the end of June. At that time, my doctor switched my birth control to Tri-Sprintec, which I had never taken before. I have noticed some mood differences and after scouring the internet for information, I am starting to wonder if the pill switch is causing some difficulty in the weight loss area. I have cut my calories since I have lost quite a bit, so I'm keeping up with the rearranging on MFP after losses.

Also, my husband and I are talking babies as of recent and are discussing stopping the pill within the next month and using a back up form of bc until we are ready to actively try. I had a friend tell me that stopping the pill may improve my weight loss, but I have been on the pill for 8 years now and have no experience off of it. My doctor feels comfortable with me getting pregnant at my current weight, so I'm not too concerned if something happens off of the pill.

So, after a lot of background and long-windedness (sorry!!!), my question is this: Does anyone else have any experience in this area? How much do hormones really mess up your system/metabolism/weight?

Replies

• Minki1990
    Options
    Bump - I would like to know as well, currently I am not using any
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I have been on birth control, and switched birth control, numerous times while using MFP. It has not inhibited my weight loss in any way.

The only way it would is possibly causing cravings and pushing you beyond your self control. I believe after numerous studies the only birth control PROVEN to inhibit weight loss or even cause weight gain is the Depo Provera shot.

Best of luck!
  • r0ckclimbingm0m
    Options
    http://www.webmd.com/sex/birth-control/birth-control-pills-weight-gain

There you go. In a nutshell - most women will not have any issues with weight gain due to the Pill, and if you are one of the few who do, have your doctor switch your prescription. There are many options these days.

Best wishes!
  • travlinjess
    travlinjess Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies. I had very painful and near violent cycles and was put on the pill at age 15 to control it. I gained approximately 20 pounds within the first 2 months...and to be honest, have been battling it ever since (I'm now 28). There were several times I attempted to get off it and lose the excess weight, but my next menstrual cycle gave me no choice but to get back on it.

I do know that my pill is on the lower end of the hormone scale. If your doctor changed up your hormone balance in June, I would say that it could influence your change, or lack of change, in weight. However, (s)he should have discussed this with you prior to changing it up. I moved to a new country and they found a pill with a similar hormone level to put me on, so I've never experienced a change in hormone levels.

As for losing a dress size, could be your body is changing in response to exercise and toning...and maybe it is a plateau to blame instead of a hormone change.

Again, all this is from my experience...I'm no expert and can't give you any definite answers!

Keep up the healthy diet and maybe change or step up the exercise routine and you may see results again. And good luck with your baby-making! ;)
  • glitteredgrave
    glitteredgrave Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I take ortho tricyclen lo, and I haven't had any issues with weight gain or trouble losing. It's a low dose pill. If you're struggling with your current birth control, you may want to try one of the low-dose ones. BUT... since you're wanting to have a baby, might as well just get off the pill and "experiment" to see if it WAS the pill keeping you from losing weight. And if so, next time chose a different pill. Good luck on the baby making :) how exciting
  • KatLover000
    Options
    I'm on the depo shot and have lost weight since being on it. The weight is coming off slowly...but it is coming off. Of course, I've been working out every day and watching my calorie intake.
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    It really differs per person.

With me birth control had no effect on my weight at all.

Only way to find out how it affects you is to try it out.