Breakouts

Options
I noticed that when I start eating healthy and working out that I start to break out on my face , and I have generally clear skin. Also I start to get sick like I have a cold. Is this normal , and if so how to I get past this bump in the road ?

Replies

• foodie99
    Options
    Eating healthy typically doesn't lead to breakouts, but it could just be your body processing the change in the kinds of food you are eating.

I'd look more closely at the equipment you are using to workout or your post-exercise routine. Do you have your face on benches or seats lifting weights? Do you wipe sweat off you face with a towel or t-shirt that may not be a fresh as possible? Do you wash your face after working out?

If you notice the breakouts mainly on one side of your face, stop to see if that's the side you tend to put your phone to. Cell phones are seriously nasty in terms of the germs on the screens/buttons.
  • glitteredgrave
    glitteredgrave Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Could be from sweating after a work out?
  • chrissyhy
    Options
    Yes, after workout your sweat could be clogging pores forming the acne. Try washing your face after a workout Use hot water to pat your face to open pores, cleanse face, and then splash face with cold water to close pores to prevent further acne. Good luck, post back!
  • whitneyps7
    whitneyps7 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    might be your bodies "bad" toxins and working out/eating healthy may make u feel sick when u sweat because u changed your diet and daily routines. drink ALOT of water. how long have u been on ur diet/workout? and for the breakouts id say wash your face before and after make sure u have all your hair up so none is touching your face where u may be sweating
  • AnneU93
    AnneU93 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I also started breaking out like crazy all over my face and chest when I changed my diet and started drinking only water, and it has been like this for the past 3 months now. I don't know why it is happening since everybody is saying that you get better skin if you eat healthy and drink a lot of water, but just wanted to let you know you are not alone.

p.s. I don't workout at the moment and I clean my face with cleansing wipes 2-3 times a day :)
  • MrsBikiniBound
    Options
    The cold could just be because its the time of year- but I have done detox before that cause my body to have cold like symptoms when all the junk in your system is being replaced with more healthy options. The acne probably has to do with working out more- try using a gentle cleanser- toner helps me a ton!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Could be from sweating after a work out?
  • doyewole
    Options
    might be your bodies "bad" toxins and working out/eating healthy may make u feel sick when u sweat because u changed your diet and daily routines. drink ALOT of water. how long have u been on ur diet/workout? and for the breakouts id say wash your face before and after make sure u have all your hair up so none is touching your face where u may be sweating

I just started recently working out /dieting again. The last time I had been working out/dieting was for a couple of weeks and because I felt so sick and was breaking out i stopped completely and just started eating normal again
  • enewsome2
    enewsome2 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I also started breaking out like crazy all over my face and chest when I changed my diet and started drinking only water, and it has been like this for the past 3 months now. I don't know why it is happening since everybody is saying that you get better skin if you eat healthy and drink a lot of water, but just wanted to let you know you are not alone.

p.s. I don't workout at the moment and I clean my face with cleansing wipes 2-3 times a day :)

You could be overwashing your face. You should only wash it 1-2 times a day if you don't workout because if you wash too often, it will dry your skin, and cause it to want to produce more oil.

This tip has worked wonders for me, anyway.
  • marathon_mama
    marathon_mama Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Just curious...are you including any vitamin supplements when you start taking care of yourself better? Vitamin B12 and too much C will cause breakouts in some people.
  • mell6355
    mell6355 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I haven't been "breaking" out but I get a pimple here and there and as soon as those go away I get one on the other side. I started to use a gentle face wash in the shower after my work out and after 3 weeks it seems to be getting better.

As far as feeling bad when you change your diet, remember garbage in garbage out. I have no idea what you eat but eating fewer calories of not great food will really suck the life out of you and mess with your skin. If you are getting sick and just not feeling well you are not fueling your body correctly. Take a step back, share your diary and talk to others, if you eat good food and enough of it you will be feeling good everyday. I don't eat 100% well everyday but I eat pretty good and I have fended off 3 colds in my house in the last 3 months.

Good luck!
  • knosmo
    knosmo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have super-sensitive skin and any time I change something, I deal with a period of "skin issues." (As an aside, I find myself sighing and reaching for the anti-wrinkle, anti-blemish cream. Because I thought by the time I got to anti-wrinkle, I would not need anti-blemish... )

For me, pinpointing the problem is hard, but if I take care to wash with a gentle cleanser (my dermatologist recommended Cetaphil years ago and I have not looked back) and using the most gentle, fragrance-free, sensitive skin things I can manage (my preference is Neutrogena, although I know others have their own preferences) it does help.

I gave up cokes back in April, and when I did, I had an awful breakout. You would think that switching to water would clear it up, but I had a couple of weeks that looked ugly. I just try to remember that the dermatologist told me a long time ago, sometimes things have to get worse before they get better. Again, just me and my wonky skin. Your mileage will clearly vary.
  • doyewole
    Options
    Just curious...are you including any vitamin supplements when you start taking care of yourself better? Vitamin B12 and too much C will cause breakouts in some people.

Yes when I remember I take women's one a day petite and also calcium, because I am lactose