So, I need to find a way to rejuvenate my metabolism.

Options
So guys, I need help. I've been trying to do this on my own and it is not working. At all.

A year ago, I weighed a mere 121 pounds. I thought I didn't need to lose weight, but suddenly, a lot of stuff started happening in my life, and not eating became how I controlled it. I would work out for hours a day and my calorie deficit became over 2,000, daily. I was taking diet pills and overexerting myself; I was constantly exhausted. This only lasted for about a month before my friends sort of had an intervention with me.

The weight started coming on, but I didn't have time to worry about it. Within a month I went from 121 to 130 pounds. However, I didn't know at the time that eating regularly was the only causing. In reality, I had a bigger issue. In about March, I was diagnosed with the first of what would be many ovarian cysts. PCOS syndrome really affects your ability to properly produce insulin and manage blood sugar. I already have hypoglycemia, so part of this wasn't news. The fact that I had started eating my feelings, however, did not help. Within two months, I shot from 130 to 145 pounds. I didn't have the time to sleep, let alone exercise, and my health was deteriorating constantly. My metabolism went through the ringer: it just sort of, well... it quit.

This is where my struggle really begins. Over the summer, I would eat whatever I wanted and not exercise, and I went all the way up to 148. Then, when the school year hit and my pants were getting pretty tight, I finally decided enough with it - I had to try to lose weight. The problem, really, was that school was just so busy; it was difficult to ever find the time to go for a run or do the Zumba classes offered at our gym. Since then, I've joined this website and I now fluctuate every few days between 138 and 141 pounds. I exercise when I can, but it's not easy.

The thing is, I don't know what I should do. I'm maintaining calories relatively well, and I'm trying to eat healthy - such as, I try to eat oranges as snacks and I try to use natural peanut or almond butter, and I try to drink tea and water when I can, instead of coffee. But the school year is starting again soon. It's just like no matter what I do, I can't lose the rest of this weight. Should I be aiming for a negative calorie deficit? Should I not be exercising and simply be eating less? Most of the time I still retain the habit from my days struggling with eating and I don't reach my calorific goals, and honestly, sleep should really be factored into this whole thing, since it also messes with your metabolism. I can hardly stand to eat as much as I feel like I do, so what am I doing wrong? Can someone please help?

Replies

• prokomds
    prokomds Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    First off, congrats on getting past some of your over-dieting problems! It's great that you're looking at doing this the right way, the healthy way

Are you in college? That makes it both easier and harder to get in your physical activity. Do you walk a lot? That's a great easy thing you can do, just walking between classes and things, and it's something that has disappeared as an adult for a lot of people (me) who left college to get a desk job. The second thing is that hopefully you have opportunities to join some sort of club or activity, something physical (even if it's not too strenuous). Then you're planning around it, it's already part of your schedule, not trying to squeeze in an extra workout between study sessions or whatever. Basically, everyone under the sun is busy, you just have to make room. You can become skinny without exercise, but you probably won't like your body that way (and exercise keeps you healthy, anyway).

I would say keep at a small deficit and exercise as much as reasonably possible, and just give it time. Health issues just make things more complicated - hopefully you have a doctor you can talk to about the best things you can do

One more thing that comes to mind. If you're really 19 (as it says in your profile), have you considered that you're still kind of settling into your adult body? On top of everything else, it's pretty likely that scrawny-younger-teenager-you is an unrealistic weight goal for adult-you-plus-hips-and-things. I don't see your height in your post, but around 140 is a pretty healthy weight for an average woman. You could be adding extra stress on yourself just by setting goals that maybe don't make realistic sense. Don't beat yourself up over it! And good luck!
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Have you had your metabolism checked to see where you are at? I'd get that done if I were you, and while you're at the doctor's office, explain the situation and see if you can get a referral, maybe to a nutritionist or someone who can help you with the mental aspects of maintaining a healthy weight in a healthy way.

It's hard, no doubt about it, or everyone would be healthy and fit and thin, so if you are in a position to get help with it from professionals, that would be great!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    . I can hardly stand to eat as much as I feel like I do, so what am I doing wrong? Can someone please help?

What is your age and height? What is your calorie goal?
  • secretladyspider
    Options
    I am currently 19, almost 20, and I am 5 foot 3.5 inches tall. My calorific goal is, as recommended by most of these sites, 1200 per day. It used to be 1500 per day.
  • loneworg
    loneworg Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I am currently 19, almost 20, and I am 5 foot 3.5 inches tall. My calorific goal is, as recommended by most of these sites, 1200 per day. It used to be 1500 per day.
    how much did you put down to lose a week? if it isnt allready put down 1lb or 1/2lb lose per week.
  • secretladyspider
    Options
    To answer your questions: Yes, I am in college. I'm an art major with a minor in Christian Education. However, my campus is only about a mile wide. Total. It takes maybe ten minutes to walk from class to class, usually less. It's an itty bitty private school.

I am 5' 3.5" and have a BMI currently of 24.6.

I understand that you do need to fill out as woman and, as you said, settle into my adult body; however, gaining that much weight that quickly is what worries me - it only took a couple months. I'm not just concerned about bodily size. Diabetes is a huge issue in my family and I was diagnosed with hypoglycemia when I was seventeen. A lot of people in my family haven't watched their weight and have gotten health issues as a result - from heart attacks to diabetes. I get out of breath very easily; I want to be in the best shape I possibly can be.
  • secretladyspider
    Options
    how much did you put down to lose a week? if it isnt allready put down 1lb or 1/2lb lose per week.

I tried to change things around, and it says I should lose about 1.3 pounds per week, but I just keep fluctuating.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    If it were me, I would try eating 2000 calories a day for 6-8 weeks. That should be long enough for your body to adjust to the correct amount of food.
  • secretladyspider
    Options
    If it were me, I would try eating 2000 calories a day for 6-8 weeks. That should be long enough for your body to adjust to the correct amount of food.

That's not a bad idea. However I'm worried that it would set me back even further.
  • deksgrl
    Options
    19, 5'3", 140 pounds. Lightly active (exercising 1-3 days per week). Your BMR is 1465. This is the amount they would feed you if you were in a coma to fuel your basic needs for your heart beat, lungs, brain function, etc. Your TDEE is about 2000 calories. This is the amount where you would not gain or lose any weight, also known as maintenance calories.

You should eat 1600 calories to lose weight, that is a 20% deficit from your TDEE. Since you have been eating so low, your metabolism slowed down. You will see the best results by going up to 2000 for 6-8 weeks to reset your metabolism, and then cut to 1600 for weight loss.
  • secretladyspider
    Options
    19, 5'3", 140 pounds. Lightly active (exercising 1-3 days per week). Your BMR is 1465. This is the amount they would feed you if you were in a coma to fuel your basic needs for your heart beat, lungs, brain function, etc. Your TDEE is about 2000 calories. This is the amount where you would not gain or lose any weight, also known as maintenance calories.

You should eat 1600 calories to lose weight, that is a 20% deficit from your TDEE. Since you have been eating so low, your metabolism slowed down. You will see the best results by going up to 2000 for 6-8 weeks to reset your metabolism, and then cut to 1600 for weight loss.

If I understand what you're saying correctly... Eating at least 2000 calories per day, with light exercise, for six to eight weeks, and then going down to 1600 calories per day, with exercise continued, will get me best results. That sounds pretty difficult... but... one step at a time. I think I also want to try to start running. That'll be a good goal.
  • secretladyspider
    Options

If I understand what you're saying correctly... Eating at least 2000 calories per day, with light exercise, for six to eight weeks, and then going down to 1600 calories per day, with exercise continued, will get me best results. That sounds pretty difficult... but... one step at a time. I think I also want to try to start running. That'll be a good goal.

By the way, what is TDEE?
  • deksgrl
    Options
    TDEE is total daily energy expenditure. That is your BMR, the amount you need for normal organ function, plus all of the energy you need for everything else throughout the day, and working out.
  • secretladyspider
    Options
    TDEE is total daily energy expenditure. That is your BMR, the amount you need for normal organ function, plus all of the energy you need for everything else throughout the day, and working out.

Doesn't it make sense, then, to try to get up to 1500 calories a day and lightly exercise, and just start there?
  • binnna
    Options
    Okay, this is going to get a bit lengthy, so be prepared! Lol, but i hope this makes sense and helps in the long run....
    Alright, well I have also dealt with the same problems with weight loss. It took me about half a year to realize what i was doing wrong, and then another half of a year to realize that nutrition is EVERYTHING. I can not stress that enough. Yes your amount calories do have a large roll in weight loss or weight gain but its what you eat that really makes all the difference.
    I understand that you're in school and exercise is always a hard mission to accomplish, but I have good news! It is very possible to lose weight without working out, Have you ever heard of the term "abs are made in the kitchen" or "exercise is 20%, diet is 80% " If you are eating clean healthy foods, you can lay around all day and not have to worry about exercise. Of course, exercise is what speeds up the process to lose weight, but you can always fit exercise in at least 3-4 times per week.
    Now, I know you're probably thinking to yourself "well, what if I'm on the run and I can't prepare myself a healthy meal?" This is were dedication comes in...preparing meals is a BIG big help with that. On the days you prepare a meal at home, or even on the weekends, you can always prepare more food than usual and have it set aside to finish for the rest of the week. Thats what I do. I usually make larger amounts of foods and eat my desired amount, and then set the rest in the fridge to finish the next day. When your prepared, you don't have to result in unhealthy eating! (And don't forget, if you don't buy unhealthy foods to put in your cabinet, you wont eat unhealthy foods!)
    One thing I have also learned is not to be afraid of fat! Now I'm not talking about the fat we get at McDonalds, I'm talking about avacados, fish fats, and nuts or natural nut butters, (I prefer looking at ingredient labels and making sure that they do not include sugar or oil as one of the listed ingredients..my favorite kind is Krema Natural Crunchy Peanut Butter, it has no sodium and only 2 grams of sugar, which is from the peanuts, because the only ingredient is peanuts!) These kinds of fats are what help your body to perform certain functions in order to meet your body's natural needs. This can be researched some more over google, if it's a bit confusing. But when I upped my fat intake, I noticed more weight loss, so depending on your fat intake, i would suggest upping that just a little bit!
    One thing I would like to state is your BMR - Basic Metabolic Rate. Im sure you know this rate does not mean these are the amount of calories you eat a day to lose weight. This is merely an estimate of the calories your body needs to function properly. But along with moving around to and from work, and other daily activities you may perform, this number will go up. For example, my BMR is around 1400 calories..I exercise daily, therefore I up my calorie intake to about 1500-1600 calories. The body needs food to be able to fuel it with energy and perform natural functions. When we workout, our body has to use that fuel to supply us with energy that we need. Now what about our body? It needs fuel for itself too, right? Well when you don't eat enough calories to fuel your body, this is what causes you to be constantly exhausted and energy-less. This also causes your body to go into starvation mode, which is when whatever calories you give it, it's going to be stored as fat that way it may supply itself if it is ever to go into starvation mode again, which results in a slow metabolism. This is why we need to make sure we eat our daily amount of calories so this does not happen.
    This is when nutrition comes into play. Fruits vegetables and lean meats and healthy fats are what supply your body with the healthy fuel it needs because they include carbs, protein and fat. Yes a burger at McDonalds has carbs, protein and fat, but these are all highly processed and chemicalized foods. There is no nutritional value behind their carbs protein and fat, except for, well, fat. Chemicals is not what you want to be putting into your blood stream...not saying you eat Mcdonalds or anything. Im just trying to prove the fact that we truly are what we eat. What you put into your body's blood stream for energy, is what your going to get back from it as energy.
    Sleep is one thing that is also VERY VERY important. When we sleep, we allow our bodies to rest and fuel up for the next days work. Sleep is a huge critical factor when it comes to losing weight.
    Another thing I have learned is that we need to love our bodies. We all have our imperfections, but these imperfections make us who we are. Our bodies is what keeps us alive and keeps us moving. Even when we're tired, it still does what it can to get us from one place to another. The body is a crazy working machine and we should cherish is and supply it with goods foods as reward for all it does for us. I hope this helps and if you have any questions or need me to clearify on something, please feel free to ask! :)
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

That's not a bad idea. However I'm worried that it would set me back even further.

With your stats, it can't possibly set you back more than a pound or two. It will reset your metabolism. Then when you are done, you will have a better idea of how much food to eat and you can gradually cut your calories each week down to a reasonable cut.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Logging accurately over a period of time will give you a good idea of TDEE.

I am 5'4" and 213 pounds, 38 years old, and have a desk job with less than 30 minutes of exercise, 3x a week, and my TDEE is 2500 calories.
  • deksgrl
    Options

Doesn't it make sense, then, to try to get up to 1500 calories a day and lightly exercise, and just start there?

Why would you want to eat less than you need to? You have been depriving your body of too much, doesn't it make sense to feed it for awhile?
  • secretladyspider
    Options
    The thing is, really, I just can't stand to eat that much food. I've tried and it feels just like stuffing myself.