Weight limit for runners?

Options
Yurippe
Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
I've searched past posts and didn't come across this question. Can you be too heavy to safely run?

I've read through a few of the c25k threads and I'm very interested. I'm holding back because I'm concerned that at 5'10" 250lbs that I may be too heavy to do this safely. I had a muscle strain in my shoulder 2 weeks ago and was unable to work out through the pain. I'm enjoying going to the gym every day and don't want to have to take time off again because I've injured myself doing activities my body can't safely handle.

Replies

• aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    The people on Biggest Loser do it.
  • AndreeT
    AndreeT Posts: 191
    Options
    Bump....I'm interested in reading the responses to this question. I too have been asking the same question...
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options

Yeah, but they're also under intense medical supervision.

Svey, my advice would be for you to talk to your doctor and let him/her help you map out a safe, medically sound plan for weight loss...or at least refer you to someone who can.
  • ileitch
    ileitch Posts: 99
    Options
    I was at about 250 and my doctor told me I should not run. You will hurt your joints, he said. He recommended walking instead.
    I ran anyway, and sure enough I gave myself some knee problems.
    Walking is great though. I am walking every day now, and it really helps with the weight loss.
    So I would urge you to walk instead of running.
  • Yurippe
    Options

That show does messed up things to people. Quote from below article:

"Beginning strenuous exercise suddenly can cause problems with hydration, electrolyte balance and cardiac function. High impact workouts can put an extra load on already-stressed bones. At least two contestants in Biggest Loser history have struggled with stress fractures. "

http://www.livescience.com/health/biggest-loser-weight-loss-100221.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+Livesciencecom+(LiveScience.com+Science+Headline+Feed)
  • cgdalton79
    Options
    I don't really have the answer to this, but can suggest some books. I recently started training for a half marathon, to be completed this Fall, and found the following books very useful. The first is called 'The Beginning Runner's Handbook: The Proven 13-Week Walk-Run Program' by The Sports Medicine Council British Columbia, and the second is called 'The Non-Runner's Marathon Trainer' by David Whitsett, et al. Both are very informative and can be purchased on Amazon.com. Also, if you're a vegetarian like myself, the following book is also useful 'The Vegetarian Sports Nutrition Guide: Peak Performance for Everyone from Beginners to Gold Medalists' by Lisa Dorfman. In addition to these books, I would suggest consulting your physician before beginning a running program because it is very stressful on your body. I hope that this helps everyone and best of luck with the running!!!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options

That show does messed up things to people. Quote from below article:

"Beginning strenuous exercise suddenly can cause problems with hydration, electrolyte balance and cardiac function. High impact workouts can put an extra load on already-stressed bones. At least two contestants in Biggest Loser history have struggled with stress fractures. "

http://www.livescience.com/health/biggest-loser-weight-loss-100221.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+Livesciencecom+(LiveScience.com+Science+Headline+Feed)

Oie, good to know!
  • jerren
    jerren Posts: 196
    Options
    I too am wary of running. So I decided to become a cyclist instead. It's low impact too. Personally, I know if I tried to run or jog, I wouldn't get very far. lol. So I chose a life style that I could enjoy. So for me, all of my exercise has been cycling and Yoga. I don't have an history of bad joints or anything, but I know my body and I know this is the best path for me to reach my goal.

In yoga, we are told to listen to what our body is telling us. This is true for running too. Some peoples bodies will react differently to different things. Just listen to your body and don't push it further than it can safely go.

-Jerren
  • afyfe
    afyfe Posts: 93
    Options
    I started running at about 240-ish pounds. I started out slow and with good, new shoes. I also replaced my shoes more often than recommended till I lost most of my weight but have suffered no ill effects.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I would start VERY SLOWLY. I started running around 250. I ran 3 times a week. Then, I thought I'd be smart & run more often so I could improve faster. BAD MOVE! :laugh: My knees started hurting & I kept running 3-5 days a week, pushing through the pain. WORSE MOVE! I took about 2 weeks of to recover fully before I really injured myself (right move). I stuck to 3 times a week after that and was just fine. Now I run 4x a week & never have any joint/bone pain.

So, I think if you take it slowly, you'll be okay. Maybe even start off running 2 times per week. Just remember you have to build up the strength of not only your muscles, heart, & lungs, but also your bones and joints. Listen to your body, and if your joints/bones start to hurt & gradually get worse, stop running for a couple weeks until they don't hurt anymore. Then, start back slowly again.
  • TnTHawkins
    TnTHawkins Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 10" and started running at 246. It was hard at first, but the weight seems to come off faster than just walking. I'm currently down to 220 and run about 3 miles without walking on the treadmill with an average pace of 9 min miles. Outside I run about 2.5 miles with a average pace of 10 min miles. I know it is more of a jog, but I'm getting there.

I got there by going to the track or on a treadmill and started stringing together consecutive minutes while jogging, even if it was slow. Once I got the first mile without walking I started trying to add laps. Got bored with the track and started on a couple of trails and hitting the street. It helps that I have a HRM with GPS to see how far I have gone.

Good luck to you. You can do it.
  • HeatherMN
    HeatherMN Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    I would recommend speaking to your doctor in regards to whether running is a good option for you. Remember, it's not simply weight based, but also depends on your joints and muscles. Everyone is different.

I started running at 219 lbs and had no problems, following the Couch to 5K program. I did not run more than three days per week, as suggested.

Whatever you do, take it slow and if it causes any pain, go back to walking and try again (a few days later) once all pain has subsided.
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Everyone's response above mine has really been good. My tiny addition is that my doctors have always suggested that walking is a very good low-impact way to exercise without harming joints--just wear good supportive shoes. Besides, I can't run because my asthma starts after the fourth stride. Does that mean we can be allergic to running? ;)
  • kingnatalie
    kingnatalie Posts: 163
    Options
    If running/jogging is your goal you should pursue it. Take it slow as mentioned by other posters and possibly check with your physician. LISTEN to your body, push yourself, but if something hurts beyond what it should.. LISTEN and stop. Try 3 times a week, with one rest day in between. The sense of accomplishment running gives you is very rewarding.
  • Yurippe
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's responces. The couch to 5k program starts really slow. The first week intervals of 60 min of jogging and 90 minutes of walking for a total 20 minutes 3 times a week. You can repeat weeks as many times as you want until you feel comfortable progressing. I think I'll give this a shot in the next few days to see how it feels.
  • Yurippe
    Options
    A friend saw in my feed this morning that I jogged for two minutes and asked how it went, here is what I posted:

"LOL! Well... I attempted the the C25k plan. Did a brisk 5 min walk, stretched, walked for 90 seconds, jogged for 60, thought I was going to die as I walked for the next 90, "jogged" for the next 60, hyperventalated for the next 90, and just walked it out for the rest. My shins hurt! Like not exercise hurt, PAIN. That said to me no more jogging today. However, I feel FANTASTIC! Something about morning exercise just gets me pumped for the rest of the morning. So I think I will try again in two days. Maybe I only jog for 2 min, maybe I make it up to 3. I'll listen to my body and see what it can do. I might spend 14 weeks on week 1 of c25k, but that is ok. It's more than I was doing before and it isn't a competition. "