New to this site

Options
so I went through and registered with all my info...weight, goal etc. The program says I can have 1200 calories a day...whoa...there is no way I will make it thru day 1. Anybody know what I did wrong and how to get a more realistic calorie intake?

Replies

• s_hannon
    Options
    You may have your goal set at losing more than one pound per week. It is kinda low, but after a few weeks, you will get used to it. Also, make sure you exercise as this will allow you more calories. Good luck :)
  • ilovescarymovies
    ilovescarymovies Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    try setting it to lose half a pound a week
  • amberecochran
    amberecochran Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Are you going to be exercising too? If you are, I wouldn't worry too much because you can always "eat back" your calories. I have flipped and flopped from 1200 to 1300 and then to 1600 and 1500. You really need to play with them a bit to find out what it takes to lose. Sometimes, if you're eating too little, your body will go into "starvation mode" and you won't lose anything. Start at 1200 and go from there. If you want, you can add me as a friend and I will help support you.
  • Sweetfi
    Sweetfi Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I tried to start at 1200 in the beginning too. It was an exercise in frustration. It's not enough, and in the future if you need to create a deficit in calories you have no where to go. I used a calorie calculator (I think there is one on MFP but I googled one) to figure out how many calories I was using just to basically live a day. I think it was 2300 for me. From there I arbitrarily chose 1800 calories. I went to the gym 6 days a week. Tried to eat clean. Did not eat my calories back. In three months I had lost about 25 lbs. Then the weight loss slowed down. I continued going to the gym. Saw a PT a few times changed my exercise routine. Added circuit training and weights and fitness classes to push me. Continued to eat clean as much as possible and lowered my calories to 1500 daily. Still not eating exercise calories back. I did that for two months and kept everything else the same except lowered calories to 1350 per day. That's as low as I will go, I think. Still eating clean as much as I can. And now occasionally eating back some exercise calories. I average 2 lbs lost per week since I started, and have lost 51 lbs this way. I'm pretty sure I was having 3000 calories days, so even 1800 was a huge improvement. I chose 55% carbs, 30% fat, and 15% protein. I mostly stay within that but carbs are sometimes high. Hope this helps. It's not exactly a scientifically proven answer, but it worked for me! Oh, and I talked to a nutritionist too. I didn't agree with all her thoughts, but she had some really good ideas.
  • d_Mode
    d_Mode Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Adjust your settings...
  • bren216
    Options
    I always keep mine at 1200 a day. In 14 months, I've lost 81 lbs and feel a whole lot better!

First, I make sure that I eat filling foods. For example, I get more on my plate if I have 50 calories worth of carrots than if I have 50 calories of butter. Personally, I still eat carbs, but in much smaller portions. And, I add veggies to them, such as cauliflower mixed with a serving of pasta covered with sauce makes a decent meal.

Second, I don't always count the calories for all my non-starchy veggies. I like Weight Watchers' philosophy of veggies being "free" foods. On the other hand, I definitely count anything I add to veggies. For example, I make great baked zucchini sticks. So, I count the calories for the breading.

Third, exercise. It doesn't have to be anything strenuous at first. Walking is a wonderful way to burn calories AND know that you're doing something good for yourself. Walk for half an hour and you'll get another 100 calories or so (depending on your weight and the speed at which you walked). But, even walking at a leisurely pace (like shopping) will earn you extra calories.

Fourth, treat yourself. Every day, I have something yummy. My current favorite is the "Lil Drumstick" ice cream cone by Nestle. Just 120 calories for a nice treat (that's usually how I spend some of the extra calories I earned by walking).
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Alas, at our age (I just turned 50), we don't get a lot of calories to mess with. But I've successfully lost weight NETTING 1300-1400 calories a day and exercising a bunch -- which means you can eat back your exercise calories and therefore allowing you to eat more while still netting 1300-1400 calories a day. I've also had to be satisfying with losing weigh slowly, but I'd rather eat a little more. And, BTW, I actually lost weight more quickly when I upped my calories to 1300-1400 a day rather than sticking at 1200 (or under, which eventually made me feel like crap and slowed weight loss down). Fiddle with it for a month or two and see what works for you.
  • mamasher06
    Options
    Hi! My goal is also 1200 a day. At first I thought...hell no!!! But once I found new foods I enjoyed that I could eat with meals or snacks I found it wasn't so hard. I ate more than I ever had before in the weight loss game and wasn't hungry. I started by going to the store and not buying "diet" foods, but buying foods that were healthy and that I knew I liked. Then I'd try an occasional new item, some made the grade others not. I found as long as I had variety it worked well,oh, and it was ok to eat a cookie if I wanted. You can do it!
  • Michellelmt
    Michellelmt Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I eat 1200 calories a day. I've lost 42 pounds in 77 days. I have an amazing amout of energy! I eat regular food, however...I eat smaller portions. I choose fruits, vegetable & lean meats. It's easy. Good luck!
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Mine says I should be at 1420 a day to lose 1 pound a week. I find myself going over by just a tiny bit once or twice a week. But I chose to adjust it to 1/2 pound a week, and now it gives me 1600 a day. Now I'm almost always under, because I rarely even want to eat 1600 a day. Except for this week, of course.