Clean Eating - what do YOU count as "clean"

Options
I am very curious to find out what other people consider “clean” eating.

For us it is a cut out of as many processed foods as possible - Tahini, lemon juice and broth – when we don’t have time to make it - are some of the only things we buy pre-done. And when we do buy pre-made things we read the label and try not to get anything with

No white foods – no potatoes, white rice, and sugar *there are other reasons for this as well…*
No Sugars or Sweeteners –we are using honey here and there, like on my oatmeal this morning or sometimes in my tea at night, but we try not to have it too often.
No Wheat/Gluten products – I am allergic to gluten, we aren’t being REALLY picky and reading all labels, just trying to stay away from the obvious glutens
No Dairy – except for the odd bit of cheese here and there as an added flavor – we are allowing ourselves to have goat and sheep products though.
As little fat and oil in cooking as possible – we are using some olive oil – but Santa brought me a really good non-stick pan for Christmas and I can do almost anything in it without any oil or fat.

We have also all but cut out red meat – neither of us can eat it any more, the last time we had steak it made us both very ill, which REALLY sucks as I love, love, LOVE red meat!

So…

What do YOU consider “clean eating”? What do you allow yourselves to “cheat” on…? (For us its white rice and the occasional imitation crab in our sushi!) How important is it for you to remain eating clean?

Replies

• ks2001
    ks2001 Posts: 40
    Options
    For me it's not as much about cutting out meats and dairy altogether as it is eating things as natural as possible. Fresh fruit rather than canned in sugar, for example. I still eat meat, but opt for the leanest I can find. Dairy is a big downfall of mine, but somehow I feel that real, natural cheeses are better than processed 'cheese foods' even if they are labeled low calorie. I'm not into going vegan, but truly believe that more natural and as close to whole as possible is best--it's how nature intended it.

Have you seen Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution on ABC or ABC.com? Really good program about cutting out processed 'crap' and eating fresh vegetables and lower-fat meats like chicken.

I think we all have a balance, and we can work each day to work toward it!

Cheers,
    Kevin
  • Dahli72
    Dahli72 Posts: 8
    Options
    "Whole foods" is clean eating to me....(not the store)...ideally organic but we cant afford everything organic so do best we can. Nix anything prepackaged and limit anything white. I cant restrict potatos and white rice or I feel too deprived but I use organic basamati rice and do mix sweet potatoes yams and white potatos a lot now. I dont have a problem w/ dairy but do organic and limit that too. All about whole foods fresh foods and moderation.
  • arfletcher
    arfletcher Posts: 143
    Options
    For me it's not as much about cutting out meats and dairy altogether as it is eating things as natural as possible. Fresh fruit rather than canned in sugar, for example. I still eat meat, but opt for the leanest I can find. Dairy is a big downfall of mine, but somehow I feel that real, natural cheeses are better than processed 'cheese foods' even if they are labeled low calorie. I'm not into going vegan, but truly believe that more natural and as close to whole as possible is best--it's how nature intended it.

Have you seen Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution on ABC or ABC.com? Really good program about cutting out processed 'crap' and eating fresh vegetables and lower-fat meats like chicken.

I think we all have a balance, and we can work each day to work toward it!

Cheers,
    Kevin

I agree with you on the meat - the only reason we have cut out the red is that neither of us can digest it any more... :grumble:

I also agree about the cheese - I wont eat processed low fat or low cal cheese to save my life! (or low fat/low cal foods in general) But...I am lactose intollerant as well - so I really can only have it in moderation. We have a couple of great places in town where we can buy fresh goat/sheep soft cheeses - and the grocery stores in town have also started carrying goat cheddar! (so expensive and SOOOOO good)

I havnt seen that one (no TV for me in over a year, getting rid of cable was the best thing I ever did) - but I am a HUGE fan of Jamie's - I love how he has worked with the school system in the UK to actually get the kids eating real foods!
  • arfletcher
    Options
    "Whole foods" is clean eating to me....(not the store)...ideally organic but we cant afford everything organic so do best we can. Nix anything prepackaged and limit anything white. I cant restrict potatos and white rice or I feel too deprived but I use organic basamati rice and do mix sweet potatoes yams and white potatos a lot now. I dont have a problem w/ dairy but do organic and limit that too. All about whole foods fresh foods and moderation.

I wish that I could buy more organic - I'm too poor :laugh: I understand the feeling of depravation - I have discovered that I actually prefer things like brown rice over white...I think that I am lucky in that though.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Clean to me is 'as close to it's natural state as possible'. Unaltered. So bleached, enriched flour, cured meats, artificially flavored and/or colored anything are not 'clean'. No preservatives. No MSG. No HFCS. Natural, raw sugar or Stevia.I don't consider cheese or dairy unclean, particularly if you eat organic. Whole wheat, brown rice, almond and flaxseed meal are clean, in my opinion. Olive oil is very healthy and we do need some fat in our diets.

Basically, if I could duplicate the item myself (IF I had the time), without lab products, then it's 'clean'. Actually, in spite of working two jobs, running two websites, and raising three children, I actually DO make a lot of things myself. Pancakes and biscuits I make from scratch, pickles and sprouts I make, and I grow my own herbs and spices.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    I try to eat as naturally as possible. I have to have several exceptions, I'm a vegetarian, so I do use soy products such as tofu and some faux meats. I try to eat organic when possible (sometimes the paycheck just won't allow it). I avoid anything with refined ingredients (sugar, flour). I try my best to make things from stratch (usually on the weekends) so I do not have to buy them at the store.
    I do however indulge occasionally (I love goldfish crackers...always have)...and while they are full of crud I can't seem to go without them...I do however only eat them once a month.

*edited for my horrid spelling.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Just trying to eat as much fresh and homemade food as possible, whilst trying to avoid most of the time white bread,etc and eat wholegrains instead. I still have to odd chocolatey treat,and I LOVE cheese and wine,they are my absolute downfall, but I try to stick to 80/20 when it comes to eating well, and let myself have days where I treat myself to "naughty" foods. I love cooking,and have found Ive become much more adventurous since cracking back into the eating well.
  • arfletcher
    Options
    Clean to me is 'as close to it's natural state as possible'. Unaltered. So bleached, enriched flour, cured meats, artificially flavored and/or colored anything are not 'clean'. No preservatives. No MSG. No HFCS. Natural, raw sugar or Stevia.I don't consider cheese or dairy unclean, particularly if you eat organic. Whole wheat, brown rice, almond and flaxseed meal are clean, in my opinion. Olive oil is very healthy and we do need some fat in our diets.

Basically, if I could duplicate the item myself (IF I had the time), without lab products, then it's 'clean'. Actually, in spite of working two jobs, running two websites, and raising three children, I actually DO make a lot of things myself. Pancakes and biscuits I make from scratch, pickles and sprouts I make, and I grow my own herbs and spices.

I make as much as I possibly can from scratch! It is hard - time consuming - but I am lucky that I dont have kids yet!! We are going to be planting herbs and lettuce on our deck in the next couple of weeks... I love fresh herbs!
  • arfletcher
    Options
    I try to eat as naturally as possible. I have to have several exceptions, I'm a vegetarian, so I do use soy products such as tofu and some faux meats. I try to eat organic when possible (sometimes the paycheck just won't allow it). I avoid anything with refined ingredients (sugar, flour). I try my best to make things from stratch (usually on the weekends) so I do not have to buy them at the store.
    I do however indulge occasionally (I love goldfish crackers...always have)...and while they are full of crud I can't seem to go without them...I do however only eat them once a month.

It can be harder, from what I understand, to be veg and eat clean... I like meat too much to be a vegetarian!! mmmmm Goldfishes!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options

It can be harder, from what I understand, to be veg and eat clean... I like meat too much to be a vegetarian!! mmmmm Goldfishes!

Well, I've been a vegetarian for all 25 years of my life so it's not that difficult for me...especially considering that I've always eaten pretty cleanly. It's now more the watching labels on items that I already know are veg friendly and either keeping them or ditching them.
  • sonnacchio
    sonnacchio Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Clean eating...well, that is a difficult one to answer, but I feel compelled to answer. My version of clean eating is probably a little skewed.

I believe in eating as many fresh fruits and vegetables as you can reasonably fit in your buget. I try to buy them locally when they are available. When they are not, I buy them frozen. I will purchas vegetables canned provided they are low-sodium.

I believe in organic, hormone-free meat. However, if I paid for it, I would not be able to pay my light bill. I do compromise on this with my family. Again, when I do buy meats, I patronize local businesses first and we are sure to have 2 or more meatless days a week. Other than that, we eat a lot of lean meats like chicken and pork.

I do not buy things in boxes (unless it is cereal for the kiddies) that I know I can make in my own kitchen. I laugh at the commercials for the packaged potatoes! What a waste! I peel and cook my own whenever possible.

I read labels. Let me say that again, I READ LABELS. If something doesn't look right, I don't buy it.

For me, clean eating is about supporting the local economy AND feeding my family a variety of healthy, natural foods.
  • arfletcher
    Options
    For me, clean eating is about supporting the local economy AND feeding my family a variety of healthy, natural foods.

Well Said!