How to deal with loose skin after weight loss?

Options

Replies

• ambervaldez79
    ambervaldez79 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I think sometimes if a person loses A LOT of weight quickly it will sag much easier. My mom had lost about a 100lbs on the Slim Fast diet. She was about 40yo. She only walked, no strength training, nor was the diet healthy. She had terrible saggy skin once she got older in her arms and neck. That was also from years of losing and gaining. I guess my point is, don't try to rush it. Work hard, eat well, and take care of yourself. It will come off, but it's best to gradually lose weight.
  • MsDover
    MsDover Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Whether or not your skin sags and stays that way has to do with many factors. Absolutely try every other option before surgery. Mine was never the same after having my children (that's a pretty fast weight loss with no other option. You can't ask the baby to be born slowly so it won't effect the skin!) and then losing a lot of weight later in life. Age, genes, and lots of other reasons may make plastic surgery your only option. There is NO shame in that. Again, certainly try all other options first. Weight training and other exercise, but for some once it's stretched out, that's all she wrote!
  • GrannySparkle
    GrannySparkle Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Many issues got into excessive skin. Age being the biggest one. Yes, from time to time weight training can help tighten up excessive skin...also known as skin sag. For me, my WLS surgeon said nothing but plastic surgery will help. I'm 50 and have lost 104 pounds...with 57 more to go.

I am going to start weight training on a BowFlex. But I don't have much hope of it tightening up my skin. There is no way weight training will tighen up all the skin sag I have.
  • luvmydog2
    luvmydog2 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Only plastic surgery can remove excess skin. It will tighten some on its own with proper exercise, but once the skin is stretched, it will not ever go back to the way it was.

Yes that is true ,,, I am 65 yrs of age ,,,have lost and gained three times in my life ...And skin is beyond repair ..just make the most of the fact ...That we are healthy ...

Some call it he candle melt down Syndrome ...
  • ambervaldez79
    ambervaldez79 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    He is 25yo male. I think his skin still has plenty of resiliency left. Unfortunately, age does decrease the collagen in the skin. :/ Honestly, If I lost a ton of weight and was very unpleased with excessive saggy skin, I'd make the leap and save money to have it removed.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    this is one of those topics that comes up frequently here.

1) pinch the skin on the back of your hand. you'll notice that it's very thin and there's not much to pinch. that's because your body doesn't store fat there. what you're pinching is just skin.

2) pinch the "skin" around your waist. notice that it's not very thin. there is alot to pinch there. that's because you are also pinching stored fat.

i think alot of people who complain about loose, sagging skin are not realizing that they still have stored fat where the skin is sagging. although they may have lost most of of the fat there, there is still enough remaining to prevent the skin from fully "snapping back".

i've read a couple of people on here advocate long distance running as the solution to sagging skin. that seems to make sense, since it's one way to really get yourself to a low BF%. if the presence of fat is truly what is causing the appearance of loose, sagging skin, then decreasing your BF% should help alot. another way would be to adopt the bodybuilder workout regimes that involve bulking (to add muscle) and cutting (to lose BF%).

so i don't think all hope is lost for those who have lost alot of weight and have ended up with loose skin. i suspect that spending time dropping your BF% is a non-surgical way to fight this problem. unfortunately, there's not a whole lot of solid information about this subject online, so i can't point to any specific research in this area. however, if i have loose skin when i get to my goal weight, i will attack the problem as if its a BF% problem.
  • MsDover
    Options
    When I had my surgery there was very little fat... the apron of skin was removed, the broken muscle repaired and I was only 3 pounds lighter when all was said and done. I didn't have excess fat... only excess skin. Even after regaining some weight and losing it again I haven't had a return problem of excess skin, but I only regained 17 of the nearly 70 I'd lost before I had the surgery. I also waited 2 years after losing and keeping it off, plus doing everything else that had been suggested to me to help reduce the problem before deciding on the surgical option. It isn't cheap, but I saved up the money and my sick and vacation time at work and I am very happy with the result. It wasn't a short cut... it was a last resort, but one that I feel was 100% worth it.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    When I had my surgery there was very little fat... the apron of skin was removed, the broken muscle repaired and I was only 3 pounds lighter when all was said and done. I didn't have excess fat... only excess skin. Even after regaining some weight and losing it again I haven't had a return problem of excess skin, but I only regained 17 of the nearly 70 I'd lost before I had the surgery. I also waited 2 years after losing and keeping it off, plus doing everything else that had been suggested to me to help reduce the problem before deciding on the surgical option. It isn't cheap, but I saved up the money and my sick and vacation time at work and I am very happy with the result. It wasn't a short cut... it was a last resort, but one that I feel was 100% worth it.

what did the surgeons tell you before having the surgery? did they say it was never going to go away without the surgery? if so, was it because of your age? or any other factors??

i am curious about this subject since there is not much about it online. it's hard to even find before/after photos of people who have had the surgery. from what i've seen on that Extreme Makeover show, the argument in favor of the surgery is always that the excess skin is causing skin rashes and getting in the way of exercise, but i don't recall them ever showing a doctor saying that surgery was the only way to get rid of the loose skin, just the fastest way.
  • MsDover
    Options

what did the surgeons tell you before having the surgery? did they say it was never going to go away without the surgery? if so, was it because of your age? or any other factors??

i am curious about this subject since there is not much about it online. it's hard to even find before/after photos of people who have had the surgery. from what i've seen on that Extreme Makeover show, the argument in favor of the surgery is always that the excess skin is causing skin rashes and getting in the way of exercise, but i don't recall them ever showing a doctor saying that surgery was the only way to get rid of the loose skin, just the fastest way.

My family doctor and I had long discussions about it both during and after my weight loss. Both she and the surgeon agreed I had done all I could to improve the situation on my own and if this loose, hanging apron of skin bothered me, surgery would be the only way to get rid of it. Part of it was just plain genetics and the rest circumstances and age. I was 57 when I had the surgery, but truly the issue started at 19 after I had my first baby and got worse with each following pregnancy and then after that big weight loss. For SOME women, the abdominal muscles cleave due to pregnancy. No exercise will repair that. My mother weighed 105 pounds and had that apron of skin and broken muscles. My sisters both have it. I had it and chose to deal with it. I never got rashes, but it was very embarrassing for me. Could I have gone on like that for the rest of my life? Sure! It wasn't going to kill me, but it was something, like losing weight, that I could fix, if not by exercise then by having surgery. I am a very self-confident person in every way, but doing this for ME gave me even more confidence, especially when I found myself off in the dating world again. I think it's a personal choice when all other options have failed. I did a lot of research online... lots of before and after pictures.... what the procedure entailed.... what it would achieve and what it wouldn't. It's not for everyone, and as I said, I feel all other options should be attempted FIRST.

Editing to add that if you google "tummy tuck" or "abdominoplasty" you will see examples of what some women deal with and why they chose this procedure.
  • kristarablue2
    kristarablue2 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I have done weight lifting throughout my weight loss journey and I have lost at an acceptable rate (not too fast). I will say yes weight lifting has helped, however I was very heavy for a very long time and without surgery I will have excess skin period, it is not going to go back. If your younger maybe, however I have lost 5 inches on each arm and unless my arms get really really big, there is going to be loose skin there. I have lost 17 inches off my abdomen, and there are so many stretch marks when scrunched it looks like a thanksgiving turkey (sexy right guys)....each thigh has lost over 10 inches...sorry extra skin is going to happen. I have lost 16 inches off my breasts and now they are flat and deflated (thank goodness for Victoria Secret and her ability to help me do some serious false advertising) It would be such a gift to have surgery, however it could be so much worse than it is and I am sure that has to do with weight lifting. I also workout with spanx and I really think that seems to have helped a little as well, although I have no scientific proof to back that up, just my opinion...Oh and drink lots of water:-)

But let me leave you with this, although I hate my extra skin, I hated being super fat way worse.
  • chocklit1da
    Options
    I also have excessive skin around my knees and right before my knees that's the only thing I am mad about after having gbp. I am scheduled to see a plastic surgeon in January because no matter what I am having the hardest time losing the weight there and everytime someone looks at me thats the first place they look (I get MAD!!). They comment on me having biig thighs but I know I am gonna have biig thighs but not biig knees. I still cant wear shorts or short skirts because Im self concious about that part of my body.
  • GomesDavid
    Options
    Follow a diet plan that takes calories into account. toning exercises that can help tighten skin...
  • peacemongernc
    peacemongernc Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I talked to my doctor about this last week. She agreed with the weight training and drinking adequate water, but also suggested something I haven't heard anywhere else. She said that eating at least 30% of calories from protein, along with the exercise and lifting, will help the most. She said that if I did these things for a year, once I hit my goal, that we would be able to see how much my skin would repair itself.

I can't decide if the protein helps in the muscle building or if it helps the skin. She said it helps with skin elasticity. I've never heard this anywhere else. But I figure if I'm going to be lifting heavy anyway, trying to hit 30% protein each day is a reasonable goal, anyway.

I think losing slowing helps, too.

I guess I'll see soon!
  • honeyallen
    Options
    Any tips how to tighten the skin faster?

loosening of the skin after weight loss is a usual phenomena, as the edema or the fat and water accumulation recedes from the tissues. In order to strengthen the muscles and regain the stiffness that you are looking for, its not that easy and you need to go out for work out for couple of hours each single day from now onwards. Especially starting from running for atleast 5 kms. per day followed by stretching, pull ups and crunches. You got to work hard on your body and one thing more, monitor your caffeine and alcohol intake. Add lots of citrus fruits to your diet and be regular in your work out. Just do this and you will experience the changes in your body growing faster day by day.

All The Best
  • CrusaderSam
    CrusaderSam Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I do situps with 2 90# dumbbells for 30 reps and can plank for 6 mins+. I dont know what my body fat % is but I have a 6 pack. My lose skin is still there. Just be happy its not full. this is my uncropped pic.

aAGEs.jpg
  • zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    A high risk pregnancy combined with 6 months of bedrest, weight gain of nearly 100lbs from toxemia during that time, a diastasis (ab muscles ripped) and I was left with HORRIBLE sagging skin. Combine that with breast feeding 3 kids, and there's issues that not even weight training can fix! I am weight training - heavy - and plan on seeing a plastic surgeon as soon as I reach my goal weight to get rid of the rest!
  • demilade
    demilade Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    lol, what weight training should I do for saggy boobs?
  • ilija139
    Options
    Thank you everyone!

ever need anything send me a message , i think I could give you some great advice

Thanks mate!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Only plastic surgery can remove excess skin. It will tighten some on its own with proper exercise, but once the skin is stretched, it will not ever go back to the way it was.

I'd have to disagree....I believe yes some people require plastic surgery but not all. I've lost 100 lbs so far and my skin isn't as loose as I thought it would be. I find that it's from lifting more instead of only cardio, but this is only my opinion.

Your skin actually *does* have the capability of shrinking through exercise and proper nutrition. It may not go back to the way it was when you were a kid, but you are not forever doomed to floppy skin.

You have to increase your lean body mass, and do your best to eliminate fat, not LBM, when losing weight. Weight training, proper nutrition and hydration will go a long way. Your skin is not a balloon. It sheds itself and grows anew every 6 weeks or so.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I talked to my doctor about this last week. She agreed with the weight training and drinking adequate water, but also suggested something I haven't heard anywhere else. She said that eating at least 30% of calories from protein, along with the exercise and lifting, will help the most. She said that if I did these things for a year, once I hit my goal, that we would be able to see how much my skin would repair itself.

I can't decide if the protein helps in the muscle building or if it helps the skin. She said it helps with skin elasticity. I've never heard this anywhere else. But I figure if I'm going to be lifting heavy anyway, trying to hit 30% protein each day is a reasonable goal, anyway.

I think losing slowing helps, too.

I guess I'll see soon!

I think your doctor is spot-on. The purpose of 30% protein is to maintain LBM.