Need help! Arguing with husband on pasta

Options
jenbar
jenbar Posts: 1,038 Member
Can you tell me how you add your pasta? If I have a little over a cup of cooked pasta with sauce, I'll enter 4 servings of 2oz. pasta. But he said, that that is the dry calculation and it's impossible, that if I cooked a pound of pasta, and it's 16oz, that I at half of it. Which is right, b/c I didn't... he had a big bowl, and my 2 sons had 2 helpings each, and I had my 8oz. He said you can't go by that b/c the pasta is cooked now and full of water (because I took left over and weighed it to show him)
HELP!!!!
I almost choked when I saw I ate almost 1000 calories in pasta for dinner!

Replies

• summersmi
    summersmi Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Your husband may be right here. If you check on the label most pasta's give both the cooked and uncooked serving sizes. If not it is most likely the uncooked portion you are reading.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    2oz dry
    1 cup cooked.

DH wins!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    2oz dry
    1 cup cooked.

DH wins!

Oh and pasta is my favorite. I was surprised when I cooked 2 oz of zita and it measured exactly 1 cup. I thought no way that would be enough........but if was!
  • mbrody1947
    mbrody1947 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    One cup of cooked pasta is between 200 and 240 calories. The calories and number of servings is usually on the box but you would be safe I think to book 210 calories for a scant cup of pasta. By scant I mean not cramming the pasta into the cup (LOL). There is a serving guide for different pasta's like spaghetti whcih might help too.
  • guidosgal
    guidosgal Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    As much as it pain me to say it for once a husband is right :bigsmile: (hee hee)
  • mictur
    mictur Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    When you log in your pasta find it calories for cooked pasta not the dry. Many of the database has dry amounts not cooked. I was having this problem for spaghetti and found that cooked was less than the dry. Same with couscous. I can eat a cup of spaghetti 8 oz. and still be within my range.:flowerforyou:
    Whole wheat spaghetti 174
  • BarbRigg
    BarbRigg Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Do you measure it on a scale or by a measuring cup?
  • panther87
    panther87 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    They are all right, 2 oz dry will yield 1 cup cooked. sorry sweetie the hubby is right this time.
  • jessw86
    jessw86 Posts: 29
    Options
    Maybe one day weigh out your 2 or 8 oz dry pasta then cook only that pasta in a small sauce pan and then measure it again by weighing it or putting it into a measuring cup. That way you can compare how much dry correlates to how much cooked and then you can use that as a reference from then on. But I agree with him, the noodles will absorb the water and also swell so I don't think you can go by the same nutritional info for dry and cooked. Good luck!
  • ccgisme
    ccgisme Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Your hubby is right. Tell him to write it on the calendar, because it's his one time for the year... :wink: At least that's how it works in my house!

If you have a kitchen scale, you can always weigh the entire portion of cooked pasta, divide that by the number of servings and then you'll have sense of the actual weight of the pasta per serving. Our kitchen scale has a permanent place on our kitchen island now!
  • PureAndHealthy
    Options
    So the bad news is your husband is right.... the GOOD news is that you DIDN'T have 1000 calories in one measly little cup of sauce and pasta! :flowerforyou:
  • lt_mrcook
    lt_mrcook Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Chaulk one up for the Hubby. Pasta is dry measured.
  • Sheri226
    Sheri226 Posts: 22
    Options
    Pasta was always my weak point. I used to sit down with a big bowl of spaghetti with just butter on until I realized how many calories I was eating. It is true, 2 oz. dry is a serving. I weigh mine out so that I don't cook extra - I know left overs would be too tempting. I also tried making spaghetti squash and doctoring it up. Was surprised that was only around 42 calories per serving vs. the 210 for real spaghetti and more surprised when I was actually full after I ate it. When I served our dinner I looked at my husband and said I was going to need to find something else to eat afterwards. But by the time I was done eating I discovered I was wrong and he told me I could cook it again any time.
  • aml0484
    aml0484 Posts: 425
    Options
    The pasta I had tonight said 2 oz dry for 215 calories. I would read the nutrition facts and see if it says cooked or dry. It may list both.
  • penny38_1999
    penny38_1999 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    2 oz of pasta equals one cup of cooked pasta
  • mama22girlz
    mama22girlz Posts: 291
    Options
    One cup of cooked pasta is between 200 and 240 calories. The calories and number of servings is usually on the box but you would be safe I think to book 210 calories for a scant cup of pasta. By scant I mean not cramming the pasta into the cup (LOL). There is a serving guide for different pasta's like spaghetti whcih might help too.

well you hubby maybe right but that doesn't mean you ate 1000 cal of pasta. Like the previous poster said If you had about a cup then its about 200-240 calories Plus sauce of course
  • jenbar
    jenbar Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    thank you all!
    I knew he was right :grumble: , but I just needed to check for myself! :laugh:
    Well, then I only ate 210 ..... whew!:drinker:
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    kicklikeaGIRL Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    2oz dry
    1 cup cooked.

DH wins!

Oh and pasta is my favorite. I was surprised when I cooked 2 oz of zita and it measured exactly 1 cup. I thought no way that would be enough........but if was!

arewethereyet--- Does all pasta measure to 1 cup? Penne, thin spaghetti, linguine, zita?? I've been lucky so far because I usually only make 2 servings (one for me and one for DH) so I just cut the amount in half. I've never actually measured. I guess I had assumed that since pasta comes in different sizes that it would measure differently?
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    kicklikeaGIRL Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Not to change the subject, but since we've got a bunch of pasta lovers in here... what brands of pasta do ya'll use???
    I love myself the Ronzoni Healthy Harvest Whole Wheat (thin spaghetti, linguine, penne, zita, you name it) its only 180 calories for 2 oz dry....oh my favorite!

Edited to say: Sorry, I don't wanna be a hijacker on the thread- I just wanted to ask pasta people :)
  • sparklebritches
    Options
    Not to change the subject, but since we've got a bunch of pasta lovers in here... what brands of pasta do ya'll use???
    I love myself the Ronzoni Healthy Harvest Whole Wheat (thin spaghetti, linguine, penne, zita, you name it) its only 180 calories for 2 oz dry....oh my favorite!

Edited to say: Sorry, I don't wanna be a hijacker on the thread- I just wanted to ask pasta people :)

We use the WW pastas, including the one you named, for most things but red sauces or occasional homemade mac and cheese. I just don't care for it anymore after sneaking in some of the Smart Taste fiber pasta. I use WW for oil based sauce/veggie dishes.