"You drinkin' our brotein, bro?"

Options
Azdak
Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
OK I know it's an unfair stereotype for a lot of the serious and intelligent bodybuilders, and I'm not a big fan of the chain, but...... I have to admit the new Planet Fitness ads crack me up.

"Trainin' and Drainin'"

Replies

• sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Look at those gains Bro.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    As an aspiring meathead, I am offended. :laugh:
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    OK I know it's an unfair stereotype for a lot of the serious and intelligent bodybuilders, and I'm not a big fan of the chain, but...... I have to admit the new Planet Fitness ads crack me up.

"Trainin' and Drainin'"

I've only seen a couple of them but I laugh really hard every time :)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Considering that they pride themselves on being a "no-judgment zone", they come off as pretty judgmental.
  • Azdak
    Options

"Trainin' and Drainin'"

I've only seen a couple of them but I laugh really hard every time :)

As I fan of irony I especially like the one where they contrast the "meatball" approach to the "planet fitness" women doing the standing twists holding a dumbbell.

Uh.............
  • slacker80
    slacker80 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    "Trainers drain bro, drain thoes bank accounts, train and drain bro!"

Still laugh just thinking about that one.
  • SwimKitty
    SwimKitty Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Hey, I pick things up and put them down!

Love those ads, they crack me up.
  • stanluoser
    Options
    Here's a typical conversation I have with people:
    P = Person
    M = Me

P: Hey man, every time I see you, you get bigger and bigger, I can't seem to get big at all, what gym you go to?
    M : Gold's Gym, where do you go? Don't tell me Planet Fitness.
    P: Yeah, I go there.
    M: That's why.
  • zachatta
    zachatta Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Here's a typical conversation I have with people:
    P = Person
    M = Me

P: Hey man, every time I see you, you get bigger and bigger, I can't seem to get big at all, what gym you go to?
    M : Gold's Gym, where do you go? Don't tell me Planet Fitness.
    P: Yeah, I go there.
    M: That's why.

lol,

I am sure your gains are simply attributed to the gym you go to.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Here's another great PF parody:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X918ewyHSUE

"How much weight was she using?"

"Oh...she must have been using 20 pounds or something crazy like that. She must have been on steroids or human growth hormone - or had the genetics of a gorilla inside of her to lift that much weight."

:laugh:
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    that guy's face at 1:31 is priceless!!
  • Azdak
    Options

Except that the "response" is almost more of a parody than the PF ads themselves. Seriously, that ad reinforces every meatball stereotype I can imagine. They just need to laugh it off -- attempted comedy by non-professionals is almost always a fail.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    The title of this thread made me crack up!
  • JoeBFit2013
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPcKxcZ18uc

he means this commerical.

I find it to be really rude.
  • Azdak
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPcKxcZ18uc

he means this commerical.

I find it to be really rude.

'Sup, bro?
  • stanluoser
    Options
    I feel it is, because at PF, no one lifts heavy, no one that is actually want to build muscle goes there. They go there for the cardio machines. How can you up your weight on your lifts if they don't allow you to lift heavy without the lunk alarm going off?
  • zachatta
    zachatta Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I feel it is, because at PF, no one lifts heavy, no one that is actually want to build muscle goes there. They go there for the cardio machines. How can you up your weight on your lifts if they don't allow you to lift heavy without the lunk alarm going off?

I lifted at PF for a while when I was broke. 10 dollars a month, the only reason I switched to Gold's was because I outgrew the dumbbells at PF (max out at 75). Of course also it has much more equipment.

Regardless, it is your work/diet that makes your progress, not the gym you attend. In fairness you can still grow at PF, there was of course the many "cardio bunnies" but there were a few big dudes as well.

PF shoots for the "casual gym goer" market (aka the people who say "THIS IS THE YEAR I CHANGE" and then quit a week later). As a business model they do really well, because that group of people is the masses. So I don't hate on PF.

Cliffs:

Your gym has very little to do with your progress, your diet/routine does.