Heart rate moniter

Options
My little sister got me an heart rate moniter for xmas. Its a FT4 Polar model. I was thrilled cause its something I wanted but couldn't justfy buying it. I been playing around with it. My son thought it wa so funny that I was jumping to watch the heart rate climb. Questions. How important that the strap stays wet? Wouldn't it dry as your working out? Also this one I can swim with it. It says just push buttons while in water. So would you push the button as you head to the shower? And to get a reading after working out do you have to push the button again or does it save the data when you just take it off.

Replies

• ChinniP
    ChinniP Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    The only reason they say to make it wet is to aid in the contact. If you are getting readings they your good to go. Anyway it doesn't take long for my boobs to start sweating even when sitting still anyway. LOL I don't moisten my strap.

*edit* and while it may not look like I do much exercise now (and I am building back up after a long long lazy streak), I used my HRT constantly to exercise in the past and had lost more than 70 pounds. It's a great motivator and helps to make sure you're in the right zone. What a great and thoughtful gift you received!
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Thanks. One thing I thought about doing is taking a walk with it but with it wet boy would that be cold.
  • dantrick
    dantrick Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    My little sister got me an heart rate moniter for xmas. Its a FT4 Polar model. I was thrilled cause its something I wanted but couldn't justfy buying it. I been playing around with it. My son thought it wa so funny that I was jumping to watch the heart rate climb. Questions. How important that the strap stays wet? Wouldn't it dry as your working out? Also this one I can swim with it. It says just push buttons while in water. So would you push the button as you head to the shower? And to get a reading after working out do you have to push the button again or does it save the data when you just take it off.

you must keep it wet initially to help conduct to the transmitter. once you are working out (sweat) will keep it wet. Do not push buttons under water as the risk of water entering the device. push the back button twice to turn off, once just to pause. I start mine as I get on a machine and turn it off when I'm done working out. hope that helps.
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I press the buttons on mine right before jumping in the pool and again to stop it as I exit the pool.
  • Glowbee
    Glowbee Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hi there, congrats! Santa got me a Polar watch as well, and I already love it. I just put a few drops of water on the strap and rub it lightly, making it damp, don't think it's imperative that it's wet constantly, and you'll sweat there anyways while you work out.

For a swim workout, get into the water with it, and push the start workout button right before you start swimming to get an accurate reading of your fitness, no shower recording necessary ;)

After the workout, push the stop button to end the recording. Then your watch will store your data for you and you can look at it any time you want! Enjoy!!
  • dantrick
    dantrick Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    oh one more thing to add. machine wash the strap after every 5 workouts to keep it working properly, at least thats what polar suggests.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    You only have to wet the 2 contact areas, you can visibly see the difference, use warm water, won't even notice.

I'm pretty sure it say do NOT push buttons while in the water.

You hold the watch out of the water, push the Start button, swim.
    Stop swimming, hold the watch out of the water, push the Stop button.
  • fasttrack27
    Options
    just lightly wet the strap where the transmitter is - not the whole strap. On the contrary, you should sweat when you work out so no, it will not dry out. Hit the button to stop 'recording' how ever you want. Some stop right at end of workout, some wait a few till HR comes back down, etc. Just taking it off does not stop anything - it will still try to record but there will be no signal. So you'll waste battery and your numbers (timer) will be off. So certainly hit stop when done.
  • ethieman
    ethieman Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I wear mine to swim 4 times per week. I push the buttons all the time time in the pool to consult HR, time elapsed, etc. As long as you don't push the buttons while UNDER water, it will be ok.
  • mygrl4meee
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I am excited to give it a try tonight and see what numbers I get compared to what I have been logging.
  • valmb2
    valmb2 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I just got a Polar too. I was wondering if anyone knew if I could not wear the watch and still wear the strap. I do taekwondo and I don't think wearing the watch is a good idea. Basically, does anyone know how far from the watch I can be to still get a good reading?
  • Wade406
    Wade406 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    The receiver (watch) needs to be fairly close to the transmitter (strap). Within 5 feet would be my estimate. Can you put the watch in your pocket?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I just got a Polar too. I was wondering if anyone knew if I could not wear the watch and still wear the strap. I do taekwondo and I don't think wearing the watch is a good idea. Basically, does anyone know how far from the watch I can be to still get a good reading?

Depends on the electrical RF interference in your location. Just have to test it out.

There's been times the chlorine in the water was too much and didn't receive signal in water, other times just fine.

a pocket is fine though, or ankle if not kicking that day.
  • valmb2
    valmb2 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I don't have pockets and I am always kicking. ;) I think I am going to try and strap it to my bra...I wish it were a little smaller.
  • mygrl4meee
    Options
    Bumping this thread because I have a question. So far.. I am loving my heart moniter but I am having a hard time seeing the work out if I don't remember seeing the calories burned right when I hit stop. I did wii fit tonight and I don't even see any record of doing it so not sure if it lost my heart rate or not. I guess this model doesn't send date to the website made from polar. Anyone know how to see past workouts?
  • HSingMomto7Kids
    HSingMomto7Kids Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I moisten mine as it was not reading it. Since I wet it a little it is fine.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Bumping this thread because I have a question. So far.. I am loving my heart moniter but I am having a hard time seeing the work out if I don't remember seeing the calories burned right when I hit stop. I did wii fit tonight and I don't even see any record of doing it so not sure if it lost my heart rate or not. I guess this model doesn't send date to the website made from polar. Anyone know how to see past workouts?

Push the top right button, should say Data now, push the center button, now it says training files, push the center button, now it shows a graph with the date and time, push the center button, it show the length of your last workout and the calories burned. Pressing the top right button will scroll you through the workout for your max and average HR etc. When you get to the screen with the graph you can use the top or bottom buttons to scroll through previous workouts. It stores 10. Use the center button to look at any one you want. You can use the bottom left button to back up and get out to the original screen.
  • mygrl4meee
    Options
    Thank you very much. I don't see my last workout so maybe I lost the connection.