Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

So, I want to run a marathon.

So, I want to run a marathon. I can run roughly a mile now. I've got a plan laid out, but experience is the best teacher. So I wanted to know what experience has taught some of you guys? Any tips and tricks you may have.

Replies

• NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    bump. I wanna be able to run a half next year and marathon in 2014.
  • emdeegan
    emdeegan Posts: 219 Member
    on days you don't want to run and think you can't.. go anyhow.. you'll feel amazing when its finished..

also the first 10 minutes into a long run are almost always the worst....
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    I'd also suggest going to your doctor prior to starting a feat like this I.also suggest making sure you have the best running shoes..get your feet tested etc..and good luck!!!
  • emorym
    emorym Posts: 344
    Here is a link to a group that does the run/walk method. for Marathons and half marathons. I am currently training for a half in February. More then half of our group is training for the full Marathon. It is a major time commitment. It is also very rewarding and I have meet lots of good people.

http://www.jeffgalloway.com/index.html
  • Superchikanthem
    Superchikanthem Posts: 362 Member
    I agree with the proper shoes and I always have to wear the right kind of socks (Cotton is rotten...for running at least) Also rest days are important and only increase either your time or distance by about 10% a week. I found the worked for me. the weeks I increased to much to fast I had a hard time maintaining it and it really set me back. I got a book called running for woman by Kara Goucher. She has a lot of really good things in there (I am sure there are tons of books out there and that she talks about things for both men and woman but this is just the one I found.)

Have fun running!
  • DontThinkJustRun
    DontThinkJustRun Posts: 248 Member
    What's your plan? Most plans don't recommend starting them until you can run 5 miles, not trying to discourage but just want to makes sure you're on a realistic time frame.

My best advice, don't rush it. My first was amazing and an awesome experience, but it kind of ruined the shorter distances for me...I wish I had taken a little time to enjoy them more.

Anyone can run a marathon with the right training and dedication, just be smart and listen to you body.
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    I'm running my 3rd marathon in a few weeks. My experience over the past few years has been the importance of having the right shoes. I also learned quickly to listen to my body. There are days when it needs rest and I didn't listen. I agree with (ncuneo) I don't enjoy the short races like I use to.
  • maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    When are you planning on doing your first marathon? i suggest taking your time and running smaller races before jumping into a full marathon. not trying to discourage you but marathon training takes a lot of time especially when i comes down to builing your base. too much too soon can lead to serious injuries. You may want to get a running coach and have him/her create a running plan for you
  • marathon_mama
    marathon_mama Posts: 150 Member
    google "marathon rookie" . that website has tons of info for new runners and those who aspire to complete a marathon. Good luck!
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Start slow. since you can run ~1mile now sign up for a 5K in February/March.... then a 10K in May/June... build your way to a half marathon first. I ran a few half marathons before running a full and I'm so glad I did. My body took almost no time to recover from the half but after the full marathon, it took me almost a month to feel "normal" again. Regardless of how you decide to do this just keep going :)
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Start slow. since you can run ~1mile now sign up for a 5K in February/March.... then a 10K in May/June... build your way to a half marathon first. I ran a few half marathons before running a full and I'm so glad I did. My body took almost no time to recover from the half but after the full marathon, it took me almost a month to feel "normal" again. Regardless of how you decide to do this just keep going :)

This. A marathon is an admirable goal but 26.2 miles is not something you just decided to do the next day. Proper shoes, nutrition, training etc all take time and experience. Going too fast and too far with very little running experience can and most likely lead to injury or a DNF. I'm in no way discouraging you from having that as a goal; just maybe a long term goal. If you just want to finish one with run/walk intervals in 6+ hours, yes go look at those links. But if you want to run, have a good time and enjoy it, start slow.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Work on running a 5K, a 10K, a half and then train for a marathon. If you can run a mile now then picture how it would feel to do that 26 times. You can use the C25K program and jump in around Week 4 to start then move onto Bridge to 10K and go from there.
  • nejaustin
    nejaustin Posts: 76 Member
    I would strongly suggest you join a running group. Most places have several and some are even free. You could try a meetup group. Even if it is just for the long runs. In Austin there is everything from free to thee hundred plus dollars for a marathon training season (usually about 5 months). The more expensive ones have training during the week and supported runs. When you are choosing make sure it is one you feel comfortable with some are so laid back you don't get any support, while others are very focused and maybe too intense for your first experience. I belong to one that cost about $100 and has supported long runs with a leader for each time group and then has very informal (not officially part of the group training but run by some good people in the group) weekday runs. Also check out running stores that usually have free core classes and track/hill trainings during the week to supplement your long runs.

If you can't enlist some friends to run with you in different parts of your really long runs or someone with a bike to tag along.

Just remember to enjoy your journey and for most it is a journey physically, mentally and spiritually. I started out at age 48 about 3 1/2 years ago and have now run 4 marathons and 8 halves and am training for a 50k - what a fantastic journey.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    The three rules of successful marathon running.

1. Volume
    2. Volume
    3. Volume

You need to run a lot. Personally, I wouldn't even think about training for one unless I could run at least 40 miles a week comfortably.
  • A marathon is an awesome long term goal. I ran 4 years before I ran my first full marathon. I agree with start with shorter distance events (5K's) and work your way up to a half marathon. That's an awesome distance and also gives you a good taste of having to take real training into consideration (nutrition, cross training, long runs, etc). Once you've done a half or two, then put a full on your plan.

I can tell you the most important lesson is to train smart, listen to your body, and eat right.

Good luck!
    Cyndi
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    If you are running one mile now I would say that you should give yourself a year....but if you are looking for a fall marathon...although I stress I would look more into spring marathons of 2014 to avoid injury, I would slowly build myself running 3 days a week until you can comfortably run 6 miles by the 1st week in June...6 miles is the first long run in the Hal Higdon beginner marathon program. I think you should be able to do that distance comfortably. The long runs get progressively longer each week and you will HATE marathon training if every long run is a giant struggle. There will be tough runs for sure, not matter how well prepared you are but if every run if super challenging you can prepare for a marathon but you will probably only run one marathon.

You need build up to the mileage too, only 10% increase each week so that you do not develop shin splints, IT band issues etc. I have run 3 marathons and am planning on many more. Enjoy your running more than any thing else.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member

This. A marathon is an admirable goal but 26.2 miles is not something you just decided to do the next day. Proper shoes, nutrition, training etc all take time and experience. Going too fast and too far with very little running experience can and most likely lead to injury or a DNF. I'm in no way discouraging you from having that as a goal; just maybe a long term goal. If you just want to finish one with run/walk intervals in 6+ hours, yes go look at those links. But if you want to run, have a good time and enjoy it, start slow.

Agree with all of the above.

Get fitted for shoes. Start out slowly - maybe Couch to 5K? Sign up for a 5K this spring. Do a 10K in the fall. Run a half marathon next spring and see how you like that distance before training for a full. 26.2 miles is long - and the amount of time you will have to devote to training is going to have a big impact on your life. You'll also need to have your diet completely on point, and have a good cross training program in place. There are a lot of factors that come into play with distance running.
  • wombat94
    wombat94 Posts: 352 Member
    I agree with most of what has been said. I'll throw in my own experience this year for illustration:

Jan 28: started C25K - never ran a day in my life before (I'm 43 years old)
    March 17: ran first 5K race
    April 4: started B210K
    July 4: Ran first 10K race, started a HM training program
    Aug 4: Ran first 10 mile race
    Sep 8: Ran first HM (2:42)
    Nov 18: Ran second Hm (2:28)

I had planned to run my first full in March of 2013 - just a year after my first 5K, but have found that I like the HM distance and I want to build my base up some more before committing to that level of training. I am up to a consistent 25 - 30 mow now, and the HM distance itself is not a scary distance any more... it requires respect, but I feel like I could run a half pretty much each month if I wanted to.

Having said that, I am now not planning to run a full until 2014... I'm just enjoying running too much to possibly jeopardize it by pushing too far too fast and getting injured. I think by the end of 2013 I can comfortably be at that 40 mpw level that is often recommended for marathon training and then I can feel good about pursuing that goal without too much worry of getting injured.

Set the goal, for sure. Goals are there to be met, but be smart in how you go about training to achieve the goal.

Ted
  • pdxcass
    pdxcass Posts: 1 Member
    Good for you! You can do it. I have signed up to run a marathon in June and I'm terrified. But I know I can do it. I am training for my marathon with Team in Training and raising funds for the Leukemia/Lymphoma Society. The training is "free" but I have committed to fundraising $2,100.

I have run 4 half marathons and numerous other races. I've enjoyed training groups that are put on through local running stores in my city. I would look for something like that. The one that I've participated in before is $100, but it covers 4 - 6 months of training. It's worth it if it falls within your budget. You'll learn a lot about proper training, nutrition and avoiding injury. If a running group is not your thing search for Hal Higdon's training schedules on google. They are free and how I trained for my first half. Also try reading Runners World or looking for numerous free resources on google. My biggest tip for you is to get fitted for proper running shoes at your local running store. This will be a huge factor in avoiding injury. Please, please, please do this.

Also, if you own a smart phone look for apps. I have an iphone and have used the Runners World Smart Coach.

And, if you are unsure about the full marathon, perhaps start with a half marathon. Still a big challenge and accomplishment. From there you can move up to the full distance.

Good luck!
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    The first couple of minutes, especially when you dont feel like going out, are the worst. Keep going. You will never hear anyone say they regret it!