Losing weight and lifting weights

Options
Hey all. I currently weigh 195 lbs and trying to get down to 175 lbs. I currently lift weights approx 1 hour a day 4 times a week and run 30-40 minutes once a week. I have been doing this for 3 months now. I lost 1 lb when I first started, but have not lost any since. I did drop a pant size though. I am confused as to how many calories I should be eating. I started with 1760 then 1860 and now I just started at 2300 calories. I don't know if I am eating too many calories or too few still. I have done the BMR calculation and I should be at 3271 calories to maintain my current activity level. Any help would be appreciated!

Replies

• bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    This is just a thought, but it may make more sense for you to rely on measurements or clothing sizes instead of scale weight since you do so much lifting. How long have you been lifting? If you only started 3 months ago, then you could be experiencing "newbie gains," which would explain how you could drop a pants size while only losing 1 lb.
  • rz0mbie
    Options
    I started lifting over the summer, but really started lifting about 3 months ago. I wasn't losing any weight before I started with my new regime, but dropped 4 lbs to 194. Since then its been between 195-200 lbs. I know most of this is attributed to my muscle weight, but I just want to make sure I am eating right and now starving myself of needed calories. I try now to weigh myself except maybe once a week if that. I take a preworkout drink plus protein shakes before and after working out as well.
  • carlom18
    carlom18 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Try reducing you BMR calories by 15% - 20%. Stick with that for a few weeks. If you don't see any results, lower it again. And the guy above is right. Don't really go by numbers that much, pant sizes are much better indicators. If you really want to track numbers, track body fat %. GL! :smile:
  • rz0mbie
    Options
    I agree I try not to fret over weight, but since I haven't seen any change outside of getting stronger and dropping a pant size. I have worked hard to get where I am now. Want to continue on the right path and I hoping this will work! Thanks!
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I agree I try not to fret over weight, but since I haven't seen any change outside of getting stronger and dropping a pant size. I have worked hard to get where I am now. Want to continue on the right path and I hoping this will work! Thanks!

That would suck. Getting stronger and losing pant sizes. How horrible. I'd wait for regime change and see if the new guy can do it better for you.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting might not bring you weight loss. Measure body fat instead. That is a better indicator. Many scales now have a body fat measurement. They are not 100% accurate, but they are good enough to look for a downward trend.
  • JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I want to get one of those scales! I agree, BF% is a big deal. If your weight is staying the same and BF is going down you are replacing fat with muscle, which in the end will help you not only look better but increase your BMR and help you eventually lose the weight. I think that is right anyway...
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Weight lifting might not bring you weight loss. Measure body fat instead. That is a better indicator. Many scales now have a body fat measurement. They are not 100% accurate, but they are good enough to look for a downward trend.

If he is in a calorie deficit, it doesnt matter the exercise, it will bring him weight loss.

OP, that tdee seems pretty high.. are you active during the day too for a job? I workout six days a week, and i am 195, 30 yr old, 5'11" and 12% body fat and eat 2500 calories to cut.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Try reducing you BMR calories by 15% - 20%. Stick with that for a few weeks. If you don't see any results, lower it again. And the guy above is right. Don't really go by numbers that much, pant sizes are much better indicators. If you really want to track numbers, track body fat %. GL! :smile:

NO. DO NOT DO THIS.

Try reducing TDEE cals by 15-20%.

Weight loss is ALL ABOUT maintaining a calorie deficit. If you want the number on the scale to go down, you need to maintain a deficit. If you're losing pants sizes, then you're definitely doing something right.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Hey all. I currently weigh 195 lbs and trying to get down to 175 lbs. I currently lift weights approx 1 hour a day 4 times a week and run 30-40 minutes once a week. I have been doing this for 3 months now. I lost 1 lb when I first started, but have not lost any since. I did drop a pant size though. I am confused as to how many calories I should be eating. I started with 1760 then 1860 and now I just started at 2300 calories. I don't know if I am eating too many calories or too few still. I have done the BMR calculation and I should be at 3271 calories to maintain my current activity level. Any help would be appreciated!

Some of those numbers seem really high... what activity level are you using? Based on your workouts, I'd start at 2000 cals daily and see what happens. How active are you outside of your workouts?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

NO. DO NOT DO THIS.

Try reducing TDEE cals by 15-20%.

Weight loss is ALL ABOUT maintaining a calorie deficit. If you want the number on the scale to go down, you need to maintain a deficit. If you're losing pants sizes, then you're definitely doing something right.

I think the confusion came in when the OP said bmr is 3200 and he meant his tdee is around 3200. But agree its tdee less 20%.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I want to get one of those scales! I agree, BF% is a big deal. If your weight is staying the same and BF is going down you are replacing fat with muscle, which in the end will help you not only look better but increase your BMR and help you eventually lose the weight. I think that is right anyway...
    No, you don't replace fat with muscle. The body doesn't work that way. Lean mass is not the same as muscle. Lean mass is muscle, organs, bones, water, blood, nerves, joints, ligaments, tendons, everything in your body that isn't fat. Most lean mass gains from weight lifting during a calorie deficit come increases in water (due to increased glycogen storage) and some bone density increases. Actual muscle tissue increases from strength training in a deficit are minimal, most strength gains come from neuromuscular adaptation, not muscle increases.
  • rz0mbie
    Options
    I have a scale that has BF%, but quit using it as a measurement as I agree that I dont think it is accurate. With the workouts I do its between an hour or 2 4 days a week at a moderate pace.I also try to do about 30 to 40 min of cardio a week. I am a healthcare professional so I try to make sure that I do stairs and walk at a fast pace when possible 3 days a week.

My confusion is from the possibility of not eating enough calories. I am using the very active setting on MFP. I did not drop 20% from BMR, but from the TDEE which would put me around 2600 calories. I was at 1800, but not noticing anything physically so reverted back to weighing myself which I think is why I am having my issue. I don't know if I am in a lule, not eating enough, or what.

Last time I weighed myself earlier this week I was 196 lbs 34 5'8" and BF% 28% (this was a while ago)