Any suggestions?

Options
When i'm bored all i seem to want to do is eat, does anyone have any suggestions on what i can do to take my mind off of food?

Replies

• meltzc
    meltzc Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm the same way. And worse, now that I quit smoking (Day Three!!). I keep telling myself: "you're not hungry, just bored." And in a few minutes it goes away. Just don't give into the craving. Also, drinking ice-cold water helps to fill you up.
  • CherryBomb13
    Options
    Congats on quitting smoking..and thanks for the tip :)
  • aymetcalf
    aymetcalf Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Eat an apple. They are amazing as I have found out recently. I hate the normal red delicious or granny smith.... but Jonagold apples are awesome! I find that these apples curbs my sweet tooth and helps fill me up... i think it's the fiber. Good Luck! :flowerforyou:
  • tinasullens
    tinasullens Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    When i'm bored all i seem to want to do is eat, does anyone have any suggestions on what i can do to take my mind off of food?

I drink a hot cup of tea or a big glass of ice cold water. You could also drop on the floor and do some push ups or crunches! Go for a walk, walk the dog, play with the kids, read a good book. If you MUST eat, then make healthy choices - fresh fruits & veggies.

Take it one day at a time!
    Tina
  • tinasullens
    tinasullens Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. And worse, now that I quit smoking (Day Three!!). I keep telling myself: "you're not hungry, just bored." And in a few minutes it goes away. Just don't give into the craving. Also, drinking ice-cold water helps to fill you up.

WOO HOO!!! Congrats on quitting smoking!
  • SarahJayRigdon
    SarahJayRigdon Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I have found that because I eat constantly all day, that I am never hungry at night and I couldn't snack if I wanted to. It's to the point where I can actually stop at one piece of chocolate and be satisfied. I used to be able to go through a bag of cookies without thinking twice. Keep it up and give your body the nutrition it needs and the cravings and need to snack will cease.
  • lt_mrcook
    lt_mrcook Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    exercise...sit ups, push ups, leg lifts if you're at your desk (or at home on a chair). Get your blood pumping and your mind off the food...you are either bored...or thirsty...so drink a bunch of water WATER too...those should help...if not when you have pee in about 20 minutes that will take your mind off the food for a little bit...:)
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Get yourself a pack of minty fresh gum. My favorite brand is 5 Gum. The chewing will make your body think it's getting something out of the habit, and mint + pretty much anything = blech! So you'll be disinclined to eat anything after ;)
  • lt_mrcook
    lt_mrcook Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Way to stop hammering nails in your coffin...I mean great job not smoking...;) *People who quit smoking make me as proud as almost anyone...great job!*
  • brandyirigoyen
    Options
    Gum is a great alternative to eating and it's usually less than 5 calories :) Water works well too but my new favorite is vitamin water zero. It has several different great flavors with ZERO calories, this is great for those who don't love water and a good twist in flavor for those that do.
  • aymetcalf
    aymetcalf Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Anything to keep you busy will help... get out of the house, go for a walk, take a shower, do laundry, etc etc. Heck, if you're just hungry b/c you're bored, then go to bed early... you're not snacking when you're sleeping! I drink room temperature water and I drink A LOT at a time... like a whole water bottle at once... that makes me feel full when I'm hungry.
  • CherryBomb13
    Options
    Wow thanks for all the suggestions :) there are some good one that i will give a try..
  • jessw86
    jessw86 Posts: 29
    Options
    Water and more water, it really helps to fill me up. And if it's somewhat of a need to just eat or an oral fixation from the whole quitting smoking thing... try some low calorie hard candies or suckers. Crystal light has some good ones and I don't think the small dumdum suckers have many calories in them either and both of these will last for at least a lil while. Good luck and again congrats on quitting smoking!
  • CherryBomb13
    Options
    yeah water seems to be the key.
  • TalonaCat
    TalonaCat Posts: 241
    Options
    This is going to sound silly, but.....Read a book. It's what works for me. If I can envelop myself in a good book, I stop thinking about food completely.
  • CherryBomb13
    Options
    Yeah if i have a good book i wont want to eat, but the other times i'm bored all i want to do is eat.
  • perrim
    perrim Posts: 117
    Options
    i agree with the water, exercise and gum suggestions. My other little secret is these awesome peppermint drops from Aveda called peppymint. They're really good and strong (but not too strong!) and they seem to do the trick for me - and they give me minty fresh breath! It's kind of along the same lines as brushing your teeth (which is another good trick when you feel like munching)
  • CherryBomb13
    Options
    Oo i should brush my teeth everytime i want to eat..then maybe i wont..