Lowering body fat but don't care about weight

Options
I'm at a perfectly healthy weight/BMI but I want to lower my body fat (i.e. tone up). I'm following my measurements more than my weight to gauge progress. Any advice on ways to lower body fat if I don't care about my weight? I do light cardio and lift weights about three times a week. My food diary is friends only so if you want to check it out please send me a request.

Thanks!

Replies

• denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Lift heavier weights. Much heavier weights.
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I reached my weight goals this time last year, and my focus has been slow, steady fat loss.
    Losing weight was sooooo much easier with faster progress.
    Just stay the course and look for monthly trends with simple body measurements.
    GOOD LUCK!:drinker:
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy and look into HIIT (high intensity interval training) HIIT is a good way to burn fat and preserve muscle.
  • John2347
    John2347 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    lift heavy weights! lots of heavy weights at low reps!
  • inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Body fat is decreased through cardio, muscle mass is increased by strength workout. So you sound like your on the right track by doing both. Since muscle weights more then fat (by volume) if you continue or increase your workouts you will likely see those changes in measurements that you want without neccesarry losing weight (assumming your increasing your muscle mass and are eating around your maintance calories). I think the question will be what kind of body type your working for. Slow and fast twitch muscles have very different looks. Think of the difference between a sprinter vs a distance runner. Both have low body fat percentages and great muscle definition but they have completely different looks. Best of luck!!
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy, eat TDEE for slow recomp
    or lift heavy eat at deficit to lose some more fat, then lift heavy eat at surplus to gain some muscle (faste but will require another cut after you are done bulking to get rid of all the extra fat you will gain while bulking)

slow recomp - it will be really slooow, so make sure to take pics every month in order to be able to see the progress
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Eat at maintenance, lift heavy, do some HIIT.

Good luck
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    1) Eat at maintenance or slightly below.
    2) Lift heavy. Really heavy. As much weight as you can for 5-8 reps. Focus on form.
    3) HIIT.
    4) Be patient, be consistent.
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
  • aprilt83
    aprilt83 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! I guess I'm just not very patient when looking for results. I take two HIIT classes per week and you're right, they definitely work because I am SORE for a few days after!