Adding Exercises to MFP

Options
Does anyone have any good suggestions for adding exercises to MFP? I'm finding that most of my exercises aren't in the database. Many of my exercises I do are cardio AND strength rolled into one (think bootcamp or crossfit) like bear crawls, sidewalk plans with a miniband, and burpees. I don't know how many calories I'm burning and I want to be as accurate as possible. Would love any suggestions you have!

Replies

• Jaymefirst
    Jaymefirst Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    A heart rate monitor should help. Then you can log your activity as what ever you want and have an accurate calorie burn. One with a chest strap will be the most accurate. Hope that helps ;)
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Circuit Training is a one I use when I do a mix of cardio and strength. If you can afford it, I recommend getting a heart rate monitor so you can make your own exercises and add your calories burned.
  • Jo5ie
    Jo5ie Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Before I got my HRM I used "Calisthenics (pushups, sit-ups), vigorous effort" for that type of class. It won't be as accurate but it should give a good indication of how you're doing.
  • BigDave1050
    BigDave1050 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I make my own workouts, name them what ever I'm doing (Kettlebell, Cross Fit, trail name...) and use the Heart rate monitor to get the calories burned for each work out.
  • absmith55
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Sounds like the heart rate monitor is the way to go. Have any recommendations on the best one/kind to get?
  • absmith55
    Options
    Thanks @Jo5ie. Good idea for before I can order a h.r. monitor.
  • Jaymefirst
    Jaymefirst Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I like my Polar FT7, they are about $90. Well worth the investment. I was worried about the whole chest strap being uncomfortable, but it's fine. I forget that I'm wearing it after I start working out ;)
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    If you search the boards here, you'll find that Polar and Garmin are the most popular. I had a Timex, then got a Polar FT4 and for Christmas got a Garmin which I haven't had a chance to program yet. I love my Polar but the Garmin will be better for me when I go running since it tracks the mileage as well. Amazon.com is where I got it and I got it for a good deal (under $80 including shipping). If you search yahoo or google, something like "best HRM" I remember a couple really good articles that break it down for you depending on your needs
  • skinnybitchbarbie27
    Options
    Until I get my bodymedia fit tomorrow for the last year I have been taking national averages for my weight and calories burned. I just google and there are a lot of websites with legit calorie burn calculators and charts with burn. This is your best bet because you may have burned more, or less, but this is the national average for your weight during that activity.

So far has worked for me. I am getting a bodymedia due to the fact I workout for 2 hours a day and need a more accurate burn number so I know what my food calories need to be.
  • absmith55
    Options
    Thank you for the suggestions!