Heart rate monitors

Options
Hey everyone,

I really want to get an accurate heart rate monitor that I can wear for my work outs. Any suggestions?

I'm uk based so may not be able to get some of them. Price may also factor into the decision!

Thanks

Replies

• johnny26113
    Options
    hi have just got one its the ft7 polar it was 69 pound .i used it at the gym for first today its very good .take a look on polar heart monitor.com
  • Jaymefirst
    Jaymefirst Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    hi have just got one its the ft7 polar it was 69 pound .i used it at the gym for first today its very good .take a look on polar heart monitor.com

I have this ^^^^ as well. It has really helped me ;)
  • PrincessNikkiBoo
    PrincessNikkiBoo Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    What are the differences between the FT4 and the FT7?

I've heard that some polar models you can't change the battery yourself and that they don't last very long.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I also have the Polar FT7. I like it a lot and have found it to be very accurate based on lab studies done to determine aerobic and anaerobic calorie burn for the type of training I do.

It will probably be cheaper on Amazon than anywhere else. I have bought two of them in the past couple of years from Amazon for around $70 US.
  • ItsCasey
    Options

I've heard that some polar models you can't change the battery yourself and that they don't last very long.

If I recall correctly from the research I did when I purchased mine, you cannot change the battery yourself on the FT4, but I know you can on the FT7 (I've done it). As to how long they last, it really depends on well you take care of it. The main issue is keeping the strap clean. It needs to be rinsed after each use and washed inside a laundry pouch in the washing machine probably once a week (or every other week, depending on how often you use it). If it gets a lot of oil and dirt built up on it from not being properly cleaned, it will stop working.
  • klbaierwalter
    klbaierwalter Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I have the Ironman Roadtrainer and I loved it, but for Christmas the other day my parents got me the Polar ft7 and I must say it is much more user friendly and I absolutely LOVE it! I think my Ironman might have been overestimating my burns, because there is like a 200-300 calorie burn difference between the two watches. I would highly recommend Polar. Plus I love that I can change the battery in this watch myself.
  • hopsonc24
    hopsonc24 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I also recommend a polar. I have the ft4, but I dont think you can go wrong with any model polar.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm...I've been wanting a Polar FT4 because it's so much less complicated than the FT7. Didn't realize you couldn't change the battery, though. May have to rethink this.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    You can change the battery on both. Only the older models required to be sent back.
  • PrincessNikkiBoo
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I just ordered my polar FTM7. :)
  • btwalsh132
    btwalsh132 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I have the Ironman Roadtrainer and I loved it, but for Christmas the other day my parents got me the Polar ft7 and I must say it is much more user friendly and I absolutely LOVE it! I think my Ironman might have been overestimating my burns, because there is like a 200-300 calorie burn difference between the two watches. I would highly recommend Polar. Plus I love that I can change the battery in this watch myself.

I have the Timex Ironman Roadtrainer. I wonder if my calorie burnes have been overestimated? (Putting down the hostess twinkie now...)
  • PrincessNikkiBoo
    Options
    Has anyone ever had any trouble with the ft7 not picking up a heart rate? I've not got it yet, but just wondering.
  • ItsCasey
    Options
    Has anyone ever had any trouble with the ft7 not picking up a heart rate? I've not got it yet, but just wondering.

Typically, when my FT7 can't read my heart rate, it's because I haven't thoroughly cleaned the strap in a while or because it needs to be worn tighter against my skin. I also do some exercises during which I can't wear the watch on my wrist and have to put it in a pocket, and on rare occasions, the watch will fail to pick up the signal from the transmitter because of that.
  • RogueViper101
    Options
    Good choice! I also own an FT7 and think its brilliant. Not had any problems with it picking up the signal; I always make sure I wet the skin before putting it on.
  • PrincessNikkiBoo
    Options
    Thanks for your comments guys. I got it today, LOVE it!
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Where would a person get a pouch to wash the strap in?
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options

If I recall correctly from the research I did when I purchased mine, you cannot change the battery yourself on the FT4, but I know you can on the FT7 (I've done it). As to how long they last, it really depends on well you take care of it. The main issue is keeping the strap clean. It needs to be rinsed after each use and washed inside a laundry pouch in the washing machine probably once a week (or every other week, depending on how often you use it). If it gets a lot of oil and dirt built up on it from not being properly cleaned, it will stop working.

You CAN change the battery on the FT4 watch and chest strap. The FT4 is safe to use in the swimming pool; water resistant to 30m both strap and watch.

Can't speak for the FT7.

You can get most of these on eBay - I am about to list my FT4 on eBay.
  • RogueViper101
    Options

Don't know; I just throw mine in the wash every week and its been fine.
  • ItsCasey
    Options

I use one that I got from Victoria's Secret that I was bras in. There is probably nothing wrong with just tossing it in with your laundry, but the manual says to use a pouch. The main reason I do is because I don't want the hook on the strap to tear a hole in my clothing or get hung on anything inside the washing machine.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Any Polar that calculates calories is the way to go. I have found Polar to be the most accurate, but keep in mind nothing is 100% accurate. I have tried many HRM with calorie tracking and haven't really found any that work as well as Polar.