I'm tired of being in the "obese" category.

Options
Hello! My name is Deb, and I just joined fitness pal because I am just sick and tired of being in the "obese" category of the BMI...So, I'm going on a diet, going on a excersize plan, and I'm motivated to keep it going!

I think I'm going to like it here. :) I'm excited about the food and the excersize diary, so I can actually track what my intake, and what I'm burning out.

Replies

• mama22girlz
    mama22girlz Posts: 291
    Options
    Welcome. When I started he I too was obese.. I was so excited when I hit the OVERWEIGHT category... lol never thought I would be so excited to be called overweight. Now I'm aiming for healthy. You can do it, this site is great :flowerforyou:
  • dnsnowden
    Options
    I understand the feeling of not wanting to be "obese". I am just looking at the BMI calculator and using that as a tool instead of so much looking at how far I still need to go to get out of the obese category. That number is going down, slowly...Still have about 35 pounds until I am merely overweight. Welcome, and good luck!
  • seesylrun
    seesylrun Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I joined this site about two weeks ago (I'm also in the obese category). The site tools and PEOPLE on here are THE best!! So much support and advice. :) Welcome and take the journey one step at a time. You are the only one in control and you can achieve anything you set out to do. GOOD LUCK!!
  • debbieruth
    Options
    I really don't 'feel' like I'm obese, but the BMI says differently. Heehee! I'm on my way, and it's encouraging to see other people creeping below that mark, and making progress!
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    You are preaching to the choir! I started losing weight for exactly the same reason. I was 29 BMI and did not want to reach the 30 (obese) point. Now, 16 pounds later (6 of them on this site), I am at 26.2 BMI. My goal is 24 BMI. There are many good people on this site, the food page offers a running idea of how much you have eaten each day, the exercise page (go to the database page for the list) has all sorts of aerobic activities (walking, running, cleaning the house, etc.) so you can keep track of your daily exertions. If you have a problem, ask a question in this community area and multiple people will give you their ideas. Have fun! BJB
  • SquidInTraining
    Options
    Hey, little sister!! Welcome to MFP! :) I'm appointing myself your new 'chubby buddy' (ala Kirstie Alley's new show)... we can do it!!
  • angelface12004
    Options
    welcome, i too was in the obese category, and now am in the overweight one. I too was excited when i hit overweight category lol. This site is so helpful, the people are great and discussion board is always helpful :)
  • debbieruth
    Options
    You're not as chubby as I am, sister, but we can do this together!

I'm SO excited to get down to the 'overweight' category...I'm ready and rearing to go! for some reason, to me, overweight seems more 'average' than anything....
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    I really don't 'feel' like I'm obese, but the BMI says differently. Heehee! I'm on my way, and it's encouraging to see other people creeping below that mark, and making progress!
    Me too...I was shocked when I found out I was considered obese at 170lbs! Now at 210...I don't even wanna know.
  • SquidInTraining
    Options
    Upload a picture of your pretty face, already!! I don't want to look at "blue man" every time I go to your page.
  • debbieruth
    Options
    Upload a picture of your pretty face, already!! I don't want to look at "blue man" every time I go to your page.
    I did! (Should I do one of those close up ones?) And if you didn't know, dear sister, I'm the one on the left on my current pic!
  • hjones4610
    Options
    Hi, I just signed up 5 minutes ago and I understand how you feel. I look forward to making friends and encouraging one another through this new chapter in our lives. WE CAN DO THIS AND WE WILL!!!!!
  • SquidInTraining
    Options
    I did! (Should I do one of those close up ones?) And if you didn't know, dear sister, I'm the one on the left on my current pic!

Silly girl, I know what you look like -- didn't have it up when I posted that! Looking good, Deb!
  • CinthyNair
    CinthyNair Posts: 261
    Options
    Hi there,
    I was an obese when I started here on MFP. I have lost 40 lbs, and my BMI has dropped from the 40s to the 30s now. I am still obese, but the number is dropping :flowerforyou:

I know how you feel, but it's not the end of the world. You have taken the 1st step by just being here on MFP. Use the tool to guide you, ask Qs to all the pals here, and you will see the pounds melt off :bigsmile: