Vegetable Steamer

Options
For those of you that have a vegetable steamer..love it? hate it? worth the money? what are your favorites to steam??

Replies

• Sondrasr
    Options
    I steam everything. I made artichokes last night. 82 calories for a while one and that's more than enough for a meal for me. Broccoli and green beans are also favorites in this house. We don't like steamed carrots thou but I am sure that's a personal preference thou.
  • Retiredmom72
    Retiredmom72 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I have several steamers in my kitchen. My husband collects gadgets. I layer onions, carrots, and chicken and plug it in. The fat from the chicken is removed. I have found that if you put the veggies in the microwave, add a little water, and cover that you end up with steamed veggies in less time.
  • mjswalters
    mjswalters Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have a multipurpose steamer; it'll do rice and veggies. I steam tons of veggies. In fact, I steamed some baby carrots last week and ate almost all of them myself! They were really yummy. I've also steamed green beans, broccoli, asparagus, and cauliflower. So, for us, it was totally worth it.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,049 Member
    Options
    Wow. I didn't even know there were plug-in models. I just have three of those little metal steamer baskets that go in a saucepan and you add water in the bottom of the pan for steaming. About $10 each......I use them daily, so I've gotten my money's worth in the last twenty years.

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I use a microwave steamer. Takes just a couple minutes.
    Less cook time = more nutrients saved!
  • taziarj
    taziarj Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I recently bought the Oster - 6.1-Quart Double-Tiered Steamer from Best Buy. They have is on sale right now for $31.99 (regular $39.99). Used it for the first time tonight to steam some baby carrots. They turned out great. Looking forward to trying it out on other veggies.
  • speedgraphic19
    Options
    I just put a bit of liquid in the bottom of a frying pan with my veggies, crank the heat and cover it when I steam veggies. They turn out nice and it's very quick.
  • mrykyldy2
    mrykyldy2 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I have had a few different steamers and loved them all. I also took to cooking on the stove as steamed veggies can get boring rather quickly.