NSV - Snow Shoveling

Options
I haven't ever really been able to help my husband when it came to shoveling our driveway. We have a snow thrower but we got hit with Euclid (why are they naming snow storms now???) anyway, it snowed then freezing rain on top of it so it had to be hand shovelled. I was so glad that I am strong enough and healthy enough now to help him as we have a long driveway that takes a long time to do. Not so long when you work together. I always felt bad that I wasn't in shape and couldn't really help him. Now we can do these things together and it is not so hard on him.

Replies

• KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Congrats! A great NSV! But be careful while shoveling snow. It can be a back killer!

I live out side of Montreal and we are getting hit with a storm today. Forecast says 14" +.

Really, Really hope I can get my old snowblower working! If not, my calorie burn today will come from shoveling!

Keep on rocking fellow northerner :-)
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I can shovel the soft snow but not the heavy wet stuff.Yesterday had to stop because of chest discomfort!
  • tami101
    tami101 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! That is one of the best NSV's I have read on here. I love that I am able to physically do things I couldn't do before. Hopefully I won't have to find out if I can shovel the snow off my driveway though. The last time I gave up and paid the kids next door to do it. =)
  • Car0lynnM
    Car0lynnM Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Awesome!! I still leave that job to my husband and the snow blower. Somehow, no matter what shape I'm in (and I'm pretty good right now) shoveling snow just kills my back.
  • FitXnX50
    FitXnX50 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Just dug out of a 20" heavy snowfall last week ourselves. Shovel for a while, then read, then shovel, etc. Use your legs, not your back. You earn back calories really fast, so stretch them out over days if you can. Burn food calories, not fossil fuels. I had to fend off neighbors who wanted to bring their toys over to "help" me dig out. Simply told them, "I need to burn the food calories." Poor Southerners.
  • npetercmway
    Options
    Burn food calories, not fossil fuels. I had to fend off neighbors who wanted to bring their toys over to "help" me dig out. Simply told them, "I need to burn the food calories." Poor Southerners.

Love this! I am looking forward eating a treat or two at a gathering we are going to tonight since I had such a good burn from the shoveling!

Thanks everyone for your encouragement!!
  • harleydall76
    harleydall76 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    That's awesome!
  • mlegosz
    mlegosz Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Great work. My one hour snow shoveling efforts today show up as 440 calories burned, I'm happy with that!
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Awesome achievement. And so practical!

I love snow shoveling -- real exercise and I can stay cool while doing it. Tables have turned here since I lost a lot of weight. Now I'm the shovel master, hubby is the snowblower technician.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!