NZ McDonalds: NOT lovin' it.

Options
Lately, every time I drive by a McDonalds, I practically snarl at the posters in the window because I'm horrified that WW have ENDORSED three McDonalds meals for 6.5 WW points each. Three meals that I wouldn't touch with a twenty food long stick.

> Filet-O-Fish burger with side salad and bottled water or diet drink
> Six pack of Chicken McNuggets with a side salad and diet drink or bottled water
> Seared sweet chilli chicken wrap and diet drink or bottled water

What a crock of marketing wrangling, huh?

Replies

• imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Lately, every time I drive by a McDonalds, I practically snarl at the posters in the window because I'm horrified that WW have ENDORSED three McDonalds meals for 6.5 WW points each. Three meals that I wouldn't touch with a twenty food long stick.

> Filet-O-Fish burger with side salad and bottled water or diet drink
    > Six pack of Chicken McNuggets with a side salad and diet drink or bottled water
    > Seared sweet chilli chicken wrap and diet drink or bottled water

What a crock of marketing wrangling, huh?

I don't think it's a bad thing at all, let's face it,most of us are going to be there at one time or another, it's about time there some responsible people behind the name that can help those of us who indulge occasion, some truly not-that-bad for you options if it's done only occasionally.

I have to edit here, I actually eat at McDonalds once a week, friday book club meetings are held at McDonalds because one of our readers is the manager, we get to eat for free..i've never felt guilty or that i've comprimised my diet or clean eating. I have a grilled chicken salad, no dressing, I bring my own, with a side of apple slices, and a water or an occasional coke zero. It's all about choices.
  • mdbmeme
    mdbmeme Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I feel guilty eating anything at a fast food restaurant any more. But that is a crock. McD's trying to stay alive in times where more people are trying to get fit. Guess you gotta do what you gotta do to make money.
  • stevemcknight
    stevemcknight Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    You can, however, order Grilled Chicken Patties from McD's that are 120cal 22gProtein/2gCarbs/2gFat each for $1. I'm not saying try to go to McD's but in life, sometimes, we have to eat fast food. It's not a bad option. They're not on the menu- you have to ask for them that way. A La Carte under the salad menu.
  • batzinger
    Options
    the marketing is all for those that are not motivated and are buying in to the WW or attempting to but are weak, and think, well surely if WW approves than I can eat this too!
    I do not eat McD's or any fast food no matter how desperate I am. There is just way too much grease involved.
  • Heather_023
    Heather_023 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I agree that they're just trying to hold on to the 'healthier' clientele with this kind of marketing. But I think what bothered me more is that they were the official sponsors of the Olympics. Really, I doubt Olympic athletes eat McDonald's on a regular basis!
  • mlv333
    mlv333 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I'm not disciplined yet. I'm going to go in for the grilled chicken, and come out with a big mac in my belly....mmmmm... If I think of McDonalds as my enemy, it keeps me out of there and in my own fridge :0)
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone is perfectly healthy and adapted to their new healthy lifestyle if they can't make smart choices in life - this includes the times that you may have a craving for a little Micky D's. Sure they aren't touted for being healthy but that doesn't mean they don't have healthy option. Obviously if WW is saying that it's 6.5 points (unless you really think that they'd risk their great reputation and success rate for short term monetary gain), then it's 6.5 points.

I guess the point I'm really trying to make is that hating fast food isn't healthy within itself. You should be training yourself to make good choices and it's OK to have a hamburger once a month or so. It's the regular unhealthy choices that get us really - not the occasional ones. "Soul Food" is a term that exists for a reason.
  • somigliana
    somigliana Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I guess the point I'm really trying to make is that hating fast food isn't healthy within itself. You should be training yourself to make good choices and it's OK to have a hamburger once a month or so. It's the regular unhealthy choices that get us really - not the occasional ones. "Soul Food" is a term that exists for a reason.

Oh, I definitely agree that making smart choices is part of a healthy lifestyle and that it's okay to have a hamburger or fast food now and again, which I do. I was just a little taken aback that something like chicken McNuggets were one of the chosen endorsed items :)
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options

Oh, I definitely agree that making smart choices is part of a healthy lifestyle and that it's okay to have a hamburger or fast food now and again, which I do. I was just a little taken aback that something like chicken McNuggets were one of the chosen endorsed items :)

But that's because in excess they are the problem - not in a proper serving size. Of course baking a skinless boneless chicken breast is much healthier but those nuggets have just a little bit of happy :)
  • jw17695
    jw17695 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I definitely don't eat at McDonald's. Its been many years since I've eaten there.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I agree that they're just trying to hold on to the 'healthier' clientele with this kind of marketing. But I think what bothered me more is that they were the official sponsors of the Olympics. Really, I doubt Olympic athletes eat McDonald's on a regular basis!

THIS!!!!!!!!

Every time I saw one of those Olympians chewing into a McD's item, I always noticed how the commercial NEVER showed them swallowing! LOL they chewed it for a sec till the camera shot cut, then spit it out and went to cash the big endorsement checks LOL

McD's=/=Olympian food
  • Heather_023
    Heather_023 Posts: 76 Member
    Options

THIS!!!!!!!!

Every time I saw one of those Olympians chewing into a McD's item, I always noticed how the commercial NEVER showed them swallowing! LOL they chewed it for a sec till the camera shot cut, then spit it out and went to cash the big endorsement checks LOL

McD's=/=Olympian food

LOL, thank goodness someone agrees with me! My husband thought I was a little crazy for getting mad every time I saw an ad but I just think it sends such a bad message to people, especially kids that look up to these athletes! I mean, I know they need sponsorship money from somewhere but...