Turnips...Help!

Options
MinMin97
MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
I have seen a recipe for roasted turnips, and for mashed turnips.
What is YOUR favorite way to eat turnips?
Your recipe help would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• hmuh
    hmuh Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I like them boiled in a big pot with some Lawry's, black pepper, and Frank's hot sauce. I start the greens first. Boil for about 30 minutes and then add the turnips for about 15-20 more minutes (test them with a fork because they can get mushy, yuck!)
    Lets see what everyone else does. :)
  • Superstar_81
    Superstar_81 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Mashed turnips with a little butter and loads of ground black perrper....YUM!! Or in a stew done in a slowcooker, the smell is great :)
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I never boiled...I prefer steamed. You keep all the flavor.

I mash them and add a little oil or butter (little) with salt and pepper.
    Mashed with carrots's good too

Or I steamed them less and fried them after with other veggies like bell peppers,onions,mushrooms etc... with a spoon of soya sauce and spices.
  • elaine_des
    elaine_des Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    my mom used to mash carrots and turnip together, still one of my favorite to this day
  • KarenJ15
    KarenJ15 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Are we talking about the white little turnips or the big yellow turnips (rutabagas)?

I use the white turnips in soups and stews, diced. And the yellow ones I boil and mash like mashed potatoes (a little butter and pepper).
  • beckyplummer
    beckyplummer Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Armoured Turnips are great...

You boil the turnips and slice them and then put them in a baking dish and layer them with Fat Free Cheeses... (As many types as you can find) and bake them in the oven like potatoes augratin... If you search Yahoo for armoured turnips there are multiple receipes out there but this was my favorite.
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love pickled turnips although that might be a little bit more labor intensive than what you're looking to do, lol. Pickled turnips and hummus on a fluffy pita, omg.
  • 2manyhats
    2manyhats Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    My hubby cuts them like fries, spritzes them with a little olive oil and seasonings, then bakes them until they are crispy. Very yummy!
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thank-you!! I am astonished at all the replies, they sound delicious! I looked at a turnip, and drew a total blank lol! Like, wow....I have turnips, now what??
    And I NEVER knew a turnip is a white rutabaga. Also rutabagas give me a big question mark !
    Can't wait to try these recipes. Thank-you so so much!
    :)MinMin97
  • deb3690
    deb3690 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Ahhh yes..turnips! Yumm! Boiled and whipped with some "no chicken" broth maybe a bit of olive oil? They have a wonderful flavor.