Lost 46 pounds and still prediabetic

Options
Had my glucose rechecked today after 6 months of dieting and exercising. I lost 46 pounds and have 25 pounds to go to reach my ideal weight. My glucose went from 112 to 106. STILL prediabetic! The doctor was shocked. She told me not to get discouraged. She thinks maybe my body needs to adjust to the dramatic weight loss. I'll get rechecked in 6 months. Has anyone had this issue?

Replies

• Sarah1023
    Sarah1023 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Had my glucose rechecked today after 6 months of dieting and exercising. I lost 46 pounds and have 25 pounds to go to reach my ideal weight. My glucose went from 112 to 106. STILL prediabetic! The doctor was shocked. She told me not to get discouraged. She thinks maybe my body needs to adjust to the dramatic weight loss. I'll get rechecked in 6 months. Has anyone had this issue?
    Wow, first of all congrats on your weight loss and the effort you have put in. I have never had this issue, but I work with Diabetes patients every day and I have seen this happen. Family history plays a major role and the body does have a certain adjustment period. The issue is if your pancreas and beta cells that produce insulin are "worn out", it causes you to have to work that much harder to keep glucose under control and may still require a low dose oral glucose agent. Has your doctor checked your A1c or just fasting blood sugar and have them done an oral glucose tolerance test on you? I would do all of those labs. In addition, are you watching your carb counts at meals/snacks and exercising as well??
  • ravenrxx
    ravenrxx Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Wonderful job on losing this weight! & Keep going, In time I'm sure your health is gonna get better and better. Your health has already improved due to your great weight loss. Just keep going! =)
  • joannathechef
    joannathechef Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Firstly - good job!

I am just diagnosed diabetic and go my A1C down to almost normal 5.8 but my blood sugar is still all over the place depending on what I eat stress medicatons etc

If you don't have one get a blood glocose meter asn measure your self every day - 2 a day - comapre that to what you are eating
    adjust your carbs and source of carbs to get the best result.

Seriously is is not calories for us - it is what type of calories

If you have a chance get to see a nutritionist specializing in diabetes
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Has your doctor checked your A1c or just fasting blood sugar and have them done an oral glucose tolerance test on you? I would do all of those labs. In addition, are you watching your carb counts at meals/snacks and exercising as well??

That was the question I was going to ask. Morning fasting blood sugar is not necessarily a reliable test, overall - there are some idiosyncrasies with morning fasting levels - some people actually have a mild spike then.

The A1c is a far more accurate tool for a general assessment (or diagnosis). Spikes are important to control - but if the A1c remains in the normal range (particularly if it has declined with the weight loss), I would not be too worried about isolated elevated fasting blood sugar levels.

On the other hand - if the A1c is also high, then I would ask your doctor about the possibility of getting a meter to monitor periodically throughout the day to get a more accurate picture of what is really going on.

We have strongly hereditary Type 2 diabetes in my family. Of the three who have/had diabetes, two are (and always have been) skinny as rails. The third is overweight, but not obese - a very healthy eater (just too much, not the wrong kinds of foods), exercises an hour a day, 3 times a week all her adult life. Sometimes it is just heredity (or strongly enough heredity that weight loss alone will not control it). I am expecting a diagnosis in the next 15 years since everyone in that line of heredity has (or had at death) type 2 diabetes by age 70.
  • kkostre
    Options
    My doctor only checked fasting blood sugar. Since the number is improving she didn't do any other tests. She told me to just maintain my weight through the holidays to give my body time to adjust. I exercise regularly and eat the recommended MFP carbs.
    Should I lower my carb intake?
  • Sarah1023
    Sarah1023 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    My doctor only checked fasting blood sugar. Since the number is improving she didn't do any other tests. She told me to just maintain my weight through the holidays to give my body time to adjust. I exercise regularly and eat the recommended MFP carbs.
    Should I lower my carb intake?
    I'm a Registered Dietitian and Diabetes Educator and I recommend women to eat 30-45 grams per meal and about 10-15 for snacks. 30 for meals should promote weight loss and mix with lean pro and non starchy veggies. It would depend on activity level and calorie intake. I would do about 40% of total calorie intake. For example a 1200 cal diet would be 480 cals from carbs or 120 grams spread evenly throughout the day. You will get more if your cal intake is higher.
  • tdfarmer
    tdfarmer Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Fix off congrats on your weight loss! I know what your going through. One year ago my FBG was 122, total cholesterol was 230. This year a couple of weeks ago my FBG was 113 and my cholesterol was 198. I am 38 year old male 5'9" 139 lbs. talk about discouragement and let down. Been in maintenance for a few months. Added a few friends since my doctors appointment. Everyone telling me cut carbs. Been doing research. Know I need to watch saturated fats and transfer fats as well. Welcome any new friend similar situation or anyone with good advice, especially a registered dietitian.
  • allie_be
    allie_be Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My recommendation is to lower your carbs. I don't have diabetes but it's rampant in my family. I'm not 'dieting' at this point--it's a lifestyle for me-a low carb way of life which means around 20g of carb each day, with one day a week which is a higher carb day (around 60g). I believe that the daily carb recommendation set by the ADA is just way too high. It seems that they want people to stay on medicine for the rest of their lives. I personally know a few people who reversed their diabetes (type 2) just by a low carb diet. And no, you don't have to limit your fat intake. I lose more weight when I eat more fat (my favorite is coconut oil these days). Saturated fat is not the problem. It's carbs.
  • DebraYvonne
    DebraYvonne Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Mine actually went up about 4 years ago when I lost 35 pounds. I had been 189 got down to 154 and was so proud when I went to the dr. til she said the results were higher and my trigyl and my bad chol. were both up and my good chol was down. I was really bummed and she said just keep doing what you are doing. My trigyl are still just a little high, my good chol still down, total chol. normal and sugar borderline. Its frustrating but I know I just have to keep at it! I keep trying different tweaks to my nutrition and exercise programs to see what helps. Its all a process for me!

If anyone in this category would like to add me, please feel free. I try to stay positive!
  • xtrout
    xtrout Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Has your doctor checked your A1c or just fasting blood sugar and have them done an oral glucose tolerance test on you? I would do all of those labs. In addition, are you watching your carb counts at meals/snacks and exercising as well??

That was the question I was going to ask. Morning fasting blood sugar is not necessarily a reliable test, overall - there are some idiosyncrasies with morning fasting levels - some people actually have a mild spike then.

The A1c is a far more accurate tool for a general assessment (or diagnosis). Spikes are important to control - but if the A1c remains in the normal range (particularly if it has declined with the weight loss), I would not be too worried about isolated elevated fasting blood sugar levels.

On the other hand - if the A1c is also high, then I would ask your doctor about the possibility of getting a meter to monitor periodically throughout the day to get a more accurate picture of what is really going on.

We have strongly hereditary Type 2 diabetes in my family. Of the three who have/had diabetes, two are (and always have been) skinny as rails. The third is overweight, but not obese - a very healthy eater (just too much, not the wrong kinds of foods), exercises an hour a day, 3 times a week all her adult life. Sometimes it is just heredity (or strongly enough heredity that weight loss alone will not control it). I am expecting a diagnosis in the next 15 years since everyone in that line of heredity has (or had at death) type 2 diabetes by age 70.

^^^^This. You would want to check the A1c level to get a better picture.
  • LJA1968
    LJA1968 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I find this topic very interesting. I am also prediabetic. My dr wanted me to lose weight to reverse this and I agreed. I want to do everything I can to fix this. I've lost 27.5 lbs so far but don't want to get retested quite yet. Congrats to the OP on your weight loss. From what I understand, it can take time for your body to reap the rewards of weight loss. I also have a fatty liver due to poor diet which I was told by the dr could take up to a year to repair itself after my weight loss.
  • chellie47
    chellie47 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    appx 7 month and 58 lbs down.. only thing that change was my BP went UP and he doubled my med. Odd...but my DR also said it takes the body time to re-adjust.
  • ba502
    ba502 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    It's taken me almost 4 years, regular exercise and weight lose of 35lbs, and my A1C finally dropped to .060 which is just below and out of pre diabetic level. I'm also taking metforman. Keep up the good work - weight lose is so beneficial to controlling diabetes.

I still have more weight to lose, but watching my dad struggle with his sugar levels and insulin is the motivation I need to keep doing what I've been doing these last 4 years.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to congratulate you on your weight loss and say stick with it. I"m not diabetic but know a few people who are. Its a battle. Just keep telling yourself you can do this. DON'T GIVE UP!!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    What types of food are you eating and are you exercising? High protein (especially lean whole meats) and weight training will improve insulin resistance and can improve or eliminate diabetes II.
  • DMW914
    DMW914 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your stats! I just wanted to ask what kind of carbs are you eating? Are you aware that grains may be your culprit? Rice (white or brown), Wheat (of any kind or form), Soy &/or Corn. These may be causing the inflamation that is keeping you pre-diabetic & may be hidden in some of the foods you eat that are prepared (like seasonings, dressings etc.). Try giving these grains a rest for the 6 mos til you see your doc again & see if this helped any.
    My FH is also consisdered pre-diabetic & he tends to forget sometimes ingredients are hidden in a lot of the products that he like to eat, even the cough syrup he's gotta be mindful of. He's lost about 30 lbs, is still on meds & has a lot more weight to lose. He is slowly but surely getting into the swing of going glunten free to get off his meds too!
    Check out mariahealth.blogspot.com for more interesting info about grains & inflammation amongst the other wealth of info & bloggers she has on her website