Needs urgent help, but no criticism or patronising!

Options

Replies

• lozzieemay
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for your responses and helpful words. I'll listen to you all and won't calorie cycle so drastically! I'll stick to a steady constant calorie allowance for now, maybe between 20-30% under my TDEE and let you all know how I get on :)
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    Also, this is a helpful calculator for figuring out how many cals to safely eat.
    http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    If you can manage 900 calories a day, why not push for 500? If you can manage that then something that many people are having great success doing and which is apparently healthy for you: Alternate Day Fasting, eat normally 5 days a week, 2 non-consecutive days eat 500 calories. Note it's 5 off, 2 on, no 1 off, 10 on or 3 off 20 on. 5 off, 2 on. Get too clever and your body will kick your *kitten*.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/lifestyle/9480451/The-52-diet-can-it-help-you-lose-weight-and-live-longer.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5:2_diet

You're way of basis, eat NORMALLY, not 900 calories. 900 isn't NORMAL. NORMAL = TDEE.
    You have it backwards 5:2 is eat normally 5 days out of 7, fast 2 days a week, not consecutive days.

I think you've misunderstood my post.

I meant that if she is thinking of eating 900 then she could manage 500. And it's 5 days off diet, 2 days on diet.
  • darrensurrey
    Options
    That's my thinking. It's only another 400 away. :D
  • whitneyps7
    whitneyps7 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    are thoes pics old??? i think u look incrediable!!!

If the op stats are accurate I'm going to assume the pics are from last year.

Yeah my photos are taken last year, but thanks :)

welcome!!!!i wish i had your body!!!!! my pic is from my friends wedding in may i think so mine isnt 100% current lol .
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    This plan works just the way it is. Log all you eat everything. Don't go over. Move a little. It isn't easy. But it is simple.
  • darrensurrey
    Options
    That's my thinking. It's only another 400 away. :D

I recommend this method too, or calorie cycling. LIke TDEE one day, 50% of TDEE the next. Really helped bust through a plateau. It's like you get a diet break every other day with the cycling method.

Sounds good to me. :D
  • RockandRoseRebel
    RockandRoseRebel Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Also, this is a helpful calculator for figuring out how many cals to safely eat.
    http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/
    ^YES! I love Fat2Fit! And if you know your body far percentage, their BMR tool is even more accurate (they use Harris-Benedict if you don't know your body fat percentage and Katch-McArdle if you do). Also they have a fantastic goal weigh calculator where you put in your current weight, current body fat percentage, and goal body fat percentage and they tell you how much you should weigh, if you lose only fat and maintain all of your muscle.
  • lozzieemay
    Options
    If I'm eating 1700 calories daily, which is 30% below my TDEE.. then that means I have a deficit of 764 calories per day, which totals 5348 over the course of a week.. well that's about a pound and a half if 3500 calories is a pound..

So by doing it this way, I'm only gonna lose 1-1.5lbs a week projected weight loss, am I right? But if I lowered my calories to 1464 then that'd be a calorie deficit of 1000 cals daily, which would equal 2lbs a week...
  • angelina2585
    angelina2585 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Take a read of this thread
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/750920-spreadsheet-for-bmr-tdee-deficit-macro-calcs-hrm-zones
    and have a play with the spreadsheet.

Alternatively, check out the Eat More To Weigh Less group
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/3834-eat-more-to-weigh-less
    and take time to read the stickies posted at the top.

Even if it takes you a few more days to read it all and work out the number for you, it doesn't matter. A few more days won't hurt.

I'm in the 'don't drop more that 20%' camp. I also believe in setting your daily caloric goal and sticking to that number for a few weeks to give your body time to adjust to it. 6 weeks at CUT followed by 1 week at TDEE. This stops your body accepting your CUT number as your TDEE number. That's what I understand anyway :)
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Losing 1lb a week may not only be a good steady rate, but it can give you time to build good solid habits that aren't built on speed and restriction. You need that time to really learn more about yourself and what it is going to take to sustain your loss. As you found, losing wasn't the hardest part, though I am definitely not trying to undermine what it takes to accomplish that! Maintaining is the biggest hurdle you still have to pass. In order to do that, it is going to take honest and ongoing reflection with your relationship to food, dieting and more.

I recommend working in steps and thinking through things as you make changes. Drastically cutting and then going on autopilot doesn't help you in the long run. The true goal is not whether you can get it off but whether you can build sustainable habits and develop a healthy relationship with food and exercise.

We are always learning and evolving. That's okay!!! The trick is, learn from what happened and focus on how to really change that. Although your question was a great one, your history with binging, heavy restriction and continued need to lose it as fast as you can, tells me perhaps you have some mental work to do here. You wouldn't be the only one. That's really what this process is all about. There is also absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to lose quicker but I wonder if you might be better served to take your time and work through it. Learn and reflect frequently.

I wish you well. You've had success with part of the journey. It is obvious the discipline is there. Now let's work on getting you through the rest.

Welcome!!!
  • lozzieemay
    Options
    Take a read of this thread
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/750920-spreadsheet-for-bmr-tdee-deficit-macro-calcs-hrm-zones
    and have a play with the spreadsheet.

Alternatively, check out the Eat More To Weigh Less group
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/3834-eat-more-to-weigh-less
    and take time to read the stickies posted at the top.

Even if it takes you a few more days to read it all and work out the number for you, it doesn't matter. A few more days won't hurt.

I'm in the 'don't drop more that 20%' camp. I also believe in setting your daily caloric goal and sticking to that number for a few weeks to give your body time to adjust to it. 6 weeks at CUT followed by 1 week at TDEE. This stops your body accepting your CUT number as your TDEE number. That's what I understand anyway :)

Hello, I've read the thread & just took a look at the spreadsheet but its way too complicated for me. I have no knowledge of spreadsheets or excel and can't figure it out at all! But thank you :)
  • bemott
    bemott Posts: 180
    Options
    I suggest this book: Intuitive Eating. Has helped me a lot.
  • CottonCandyKisses
    CottonCandyKisses Posts: 246 Member
    Options

I agree...How much do you weigh now? I'm confused.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Diets don't work! One reason people regain weight is that they lose it fast. My best advice - follow the MFP recommendation of calorie intake. If you exercise excessively (burn more than 1000 calories per day) eat back at least 1/2 of your calories.

Decide this is a healthy lifestyle - eat healthy, move, and the weight will come off. Take it off a bit slower and you'll keep it off much easier and longer. It's your life, your mindset, and you are worth it.

Good luck!
  • angelina2585
    angelina2585 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Ok try this calculator. Just be honest with your activity level, don't go and pick 'desk job with little exercise'. Pick, at least, the next activity level but do work out how many hours you do and use that number. Also make 20% the biggest number you choose in Step 6.

Then scroll down and the number in 'Daily calories based on goal in step 6' is the total you eat every day without adding on exercise calories as these are already factored into your TDEE.

Hope that helps :)

Edit to say, if you want the numbers double checking just post your info here or private message me. Remember to include your age, weight, height, hours of exercise per week. You CAN do this and you CAN do it slowly and healthily :flowerforyou:
  • lozzieemay
    Options

I agree...How much do you weigh now? I'm confused.

I weigh 15.6 stone now, that photo was taken at 10 stone last year.
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I really don't think the week day calorie restriction is a good idea.

I am a little older than you are, and I am 5'2" tall and I started out earlier this year at a little over 16st. My weight loss has been slower, and I am OK with that. It gives my skin a chance to tighten up so I won't have all kinds of skin flaps left over.

If you insist on calorie cycling, why not do a higher calorie day every 2-3 days instead of waiting 5 days?

I think the week day calorie restriction is a GREAT IDEA!

I'm more than a little older than you. I'm almost older than everybody. I maintained a great figure for 50 years with week day calorie restriction.

My advice is to do what works for YOU. Work with your own body, your own physical and social needs, your own habits. Furthermore, there is very good evidence that calorie cycling (eating a lot less on some days) is very good for the body and the metabolism and for general health!!! In fact, there is a UK Horizon TV program exactly about this fact. Calorie cycling leads to better heart health, better results in all the lab work numbers generally tested by doctors.

Go for it!
  • deb3690
    deb3690 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    My idea is to find a gym you feel comfortable in...and make time for it! I think being in a plcae that is comfortable you will be tempted to spend a good amount of time there....forget the criticisms! It's not their body after all :)

I've been rejected so many times...once this jerk says "well you're not a super model..that;s all I date" Did I say that I was a model????Heck no!!! Would never date a self-obsessed jerk like him anyway!!!

Do it just for you! BTW whats your favorite exercise? Deb:heart:
  • lozzieemay
    Options
    Ok try this calculator. Just be honest with your activity level, don't go and pick 'desk job with little exercise'. Pick, at least, the next activity level but do work out how many hours you do and use that number. Also make 20% the biggest number you choose in Step 6.

Then scroll down and the number in 'Daily calories based on goal in step 6' is the total you eat every day without adding on exercise calories as these are already factored into your TDEE.

Hope that helps :)

Edit to say, if you want the numbers double checking just post your info here or private message me. Remember to include your age, weight, height, hours of exercise per week. You CAN do this and you CAN do it slowly and healthily :flowerforyou:

I want to at least lose 2lbs per week, I've got 6 stone to lose & I'm such an impatient person and that won't change, and mentally to keep going I need to see 2lbs a week a least to keep me on track!

In all honesty, I don't care what the scales say as much as what my body says - inches lost & dropping clothes sizes means a million times more to me, but surely that doesn't come without losing actual weight does it?