knees

Options
I'm 30, sit at a sedentary job all day, do zumba 3 times a week. I'll just say it I'm obese. 216 on a 5'5 frame.

I shouldn't be having this much knee pain IMO, but I really know nothing.

Some days they don't hurt but I just can't climb up on anything high without having to hold onto something to partially pull myself up. Riding horses will never happen, If that gives you a better example.

Can you improve the strength in you knees? is that possible?

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Of course it's possible.
    You can strengthen the supporting musculature around the knee.
    Barbell squats have all but 'cured' my patellofemoral arthritis. That, and foam rolling my IT band.

Your first step should be to talk to a doctor/physical therapist who can determine the cause and remedy for your trouble.
  • hope76579
    hope76579 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I would really suggested looking to upgrade or change your foot wear. Maybe rotate muscle groups that you are working on. Zumba one day then weight training the next. Two days of the same work out make me feel too sore and too discouraged to go for a third day. Keep it up! I started and still am heavier than you. We can do this. As the weight comes off my knees, hips and feet hurt less and less.
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    I would really suggested looking to upgrade or change your foot wear. Maybe rotate muscle groups that you are working on. Zumba one day then weight training the next. Two days of the same work out make me feel too sore and too discouraged to go for a third day. Keep it up! I started and still am heavier than you. We can do this. As the weight comes off my knees, hips and feet hurt less and less.
    Thank you needed to hear that.
    The foot wear has always been an issue for me, the dress code at work is business professional :angry: , and I have a hard time trying to find comfortable shoes to wear, but wouldn't have thought about that, good suggestion.

What kind of weight training/moves etc do you find help?
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem with knee pain, I'd recommend going to a PT, and checking your footwear.

Turns out there was a problem with my IT band and I needed orthotics for my sneakers. Then doing lunges, step ups, squats, and a few other exercises I forget helped to make it better.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    You may want to check with your doctor to rule out any problems. @ 344 I had a hard time getting up out of chairs and such because both knees would give me fits. Walking up stairs, I would walk up left foot lead because my right knee would bother me if I put that much pressure on it. Now, after a year of working at the YMCA and getting my weight down to 227, the other day I did a leg press of 705 lbs. I still don't do a deep leg press but I can get up without pain and walk normally going up stairs and such. I can even do some squatting without additional weight without it bothering me... It really depends on what is causing the problem.. that is why the doctor visit may be the best route to go.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    3 people I know of have quit Zumba because the moves torqued their knees too much.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Britt_Duffy
    Britt_Duffy Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    FOOTWEAR: DANSKO. CLOGS.

They still fit the professional atmosphere, and as someone who had their ACL completely reconstructed in march of this year, feel great for your feet, knees, and hips.
  • ChristinaR720
    Options
    I would consider cutting back on Zumba and possibly opting for something like the elliptical, as it's not hard on the knees at all. I have horrible joints (especially my knees and hips), and I have found the elliptical to be the best form of exercise for me.
  • nyusha
    nyusha Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I agree with above: a visit to a doctor (and perhaps, a sports doctor), better footwear.
    To better support your knees, you need to strengthen your quadriceps. Wall sits are the easiest way to do it at home. Another piece is balance exercises - just stand on one foot, and then the other, for starters.

I had some massive knee issues and eventually it got better through the exercises above.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I have horrible knees and the only exercise I could do was riding a recumbent bike. I started on a stationary one at very low tension and worked my way up to longer, faster rides at a higher tension. I started at tension 2 for 10-20 minutes and now I am up to tension 5 for over an hour. I also ride a 3 wheel recumbent outside when the weather is nice and can make it up hills so much easier.

I do ice my knees after a workout. I did it religiously when I first started, but now only if I feel them starting to burn. I didn't think I could actually strengthen my knees, because of how bad they were, but I was actually able to do so. I just have to be careful not to over do it and give them time to recover. Carrying around 30 less pounds has helped as well.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I have bad knees and flat feet. I have days where the elliptical is too much strain. I've switched to using a stationary bike.

If you want to strengthen your knees, there's a 100 squat app for the smartphone. It puts together a training program for you to reach your goal of 100 nonstop squats. You don't need weights to strengthen your knees yet. Add the weights later.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I'm 30, sit at a sedentary job all day, do zumba 3 times a week. I'll just say it I'm obese. 216 on a 5'5 frame.

I shouldn't be having this much knee pain IMO, but I really know nothing.

Some days they don't hurt but I just can't climb up on anything high without having to hold onto something to partially pull myself up. Riding horses will never happen, If that gives you a better example.

Can you improve the strength in you knees? is that possible?

Do you have crunchiness in your knees when you extend them or climb a stair? If so, be careful doing repetitive, weight bearing exercises like stair climbing, squats, or extensions. You may have Chondromalasia, which is bone spurs, and scarring behind your kneecap. The repetitive exercises can cause that to worsen.
    Definitely go see a doctor to find out exactly what you are dealing with, so you know what exercises are going to help you and not make things worse. But yes, it is possible to strengthen your knees. Don't lose hope!
  • farmers_daughter
    Options
    3 people I know of have quit Zumba because the moves torqued their knees too much.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Ugh, thats the last thing I wanted to hear, I love my Zumba. But yes, last nights routine I've noticed certain moves I can't do, because I get that sharp pain and it ruins my "umph" to do the rest of the routine.
    But thank you for the comment though.
  • farmers_daughter
    Options

They still fit the professional atmosphere, and as someone who had their ACL completely reconstructed in march of this year, feel great for your feet, knees, and hips.
    I've seen these in the shoe store here in town, what kind of wear do you get out of them, the comments i've heard weren't very good. What I mean is how long does a pair last you?
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Of course it's possible.
    You can strengthen the supporting musculature around the knee.
    Barbell squats have all but 'cured' my patellofemoral arthritis. That, and foam rolling my IT band.

Your first step should be to talk to a doctor/physical therapist who can determine the cause and remedy for your trouble.

solid answer
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options

I've seen these in the shoe store here in town, what kind of wear do you get out of them, the comments i've heard weren't very good. What I mean is how long does a pair last you?

I used to wear them when I worked in a hospital, my physical therapist said they were some of the worst footwear for someone with my leg anatomy. Just look out for yourself, one type of shoe isn't for everyone.
  • RunningOnPurple
    RunningOnPurple Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    My knees aren't that great, one is injured, and I have flat feet. I wear custom made orthotics and my 'professional shoes' include a pair of Dunham (yes, they are men's shoes, but the shoe is pretty unisex) and also a pair of Aravons. Both of these brands are made by New Balance, so you stand a better chance of having good support while working.

Also, have you considered something like water aerobics? I sometimes do a 20 minute Zumba video at home, but even that is hard on me. Water aerobics is much, much easier on your joints and a pretty good workout, especially if you can find a class in the deep section of the pool.
  • gdrmuzak
    gdrmuzak Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Great advice given here. As a currently obese man (I HATE to write that!!! but I've gone from a BMI of 35+ to a 33), I have some bad vertebrae & degenerating discs and and small tears in my meniscus and ACL and use a prescription brace for anything with hard stops and lateral movement. From my experience, the elliptical machine has been the easiest on all those things.

I will also add that the more weight you take off the easier it will be on your knees and back. I first noticed a difference while basketball officiating when the knees and back weren't hurting and I had quite "spring" in my step; then last week while on the elliptical at the Y, it just hit me, I had been doing the top level of incline with significant resistance for a week or more at the Y and my ankles were not cracking or buckling. THAT was a major NSV!!!

Good shoes, good socks, orthotics, speaking to a medical professional, and losing weight will all help reduce your pain, injuries and lead to a better quality of life!
  • Britt_Duffy
    Britt_Duffy Posts: 40 Member
    Options

I bought my Danskos last November/December. I waitress every weekend. I'm still wearing them and getting regular use out of them. WELL WORTH THE $120. Best money I've ever spent on footwear, and I own LOTS of shoes ;)

I probably wear them at least 60 hours per week, no joke.