Unable to run or walk quick!

Options
Help!! I'm starting a weight loss plan in 5 days!! yup my new years resolution. the food part is never a problem but the exercise part is.
I am disabled.. unable to walk fast to burn off calories and cannot run either.. also i'm a non swimmer (petrified at the thought of water)

Is there anyone who can give me any exercise tips please? Forgot to add that cycling is also out.. i have a major balance problem due to recent chemotherapy!

Thanking you in advance
xx:blushing:

Replies

• MaxineMarieM
    MaxineMarieM Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I too was unable to exercise but I lost over 200 lbs just by weighing, measuring and planning my meals. Follow whatever plan you are on, be honest on how much you are eating and you will do fine. Good luck!
  • celshade
    celshade Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    You don't have to walk fast. You just have to walk more. Try walking at a comfortable rate and be vigilant in monitoring your food. You can do it.
  • VictoriaSponges
    Options
    Thank You both of you for your replies.. Would anyone happen to know if there is a android app that may help me exercise wise? things i could do at home maybe? then if i fall i won't feel silly..
    looked at VIRTUAGYM FITNESS but unsure so any help on apps really appreciated xxx.
  • knick1966
    Options
    I agree, any activity is better than none. And, as you build up that strength it will become easier.
  • I have limited mobility as well. I enjoy a strength training with light weights and use the Wii for my cardio--all from my wheelchair! I also have a a chair pilates dvd and there are several seated workouts on youtube. I can't also can't wait to try the Leslie Sansones easy walking video that I found on youtube. Just one mile in 20 minutes. I have found that there are options out there if you are willing to look.
  • MGSR
    MGSR Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    This sounds strange, but when I had problems with my back I couldn't cycle, so I used to lie on the floor behind the exercise bike and cycle from there. It's something you could only do at home but it worked well for me whilst I was injured.
    Whatever exercise you do, I would start slowly, with a few minutes of light exericse and work your way up :)
  • Built_Strong
    Built_Strong Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh close to 400lbs and was in so much pain I could barely move. I did chair aerobics. Sounds strange but chair exercises do work. When I could, I would walk - slowly but I would build distance week to week. I also used light weights.

Whatever you do, start slow & build up. Good luck :)
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Help!! I'm starting a weight loss plan in 5 days!! yup my new years resolution. the food part is never a problem but the exercise part is.
    I am disabled.. unable to walk fast to burn off calories and cannot run either.. also i'm a non swimmer (petrified at the thought of water)

Is there anyone who can give me any exercise tips please? Forgot to add that cycling is also out.. i have a major balance problem due to recent chemotherapy!

Thanking you in advance
    xx:blushing:

First thing... I hope your chemotherapy is going well and that you are able to overcome what you're going through. That takes a lot of strength, physically and emotionally.

Secondly, don't wait 5 days, start implementing changes, even small ones, now! :) If you have the time for it, walking at whatever pace for an extended period of time will burn calories. Most people prefer shorter, more intense workouts to get quick calorie burns to fit in a tight schedule also there are some added health benefits but first priority is to get moving, speed and intensity will come in time. There may be some bodyweight exercises that you can do as well that will help to build strength better than just walking would.

I agree, start slowly, especially if you are going through any kind of medical treatment. It also wouldn't hurt to run things by your doctor either to make sure that its physical activity that you're cleared for.

For calories, well this is a very helpful post to read: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Finally, what are your overall goals and little information about your stats too... that's helpful in advising what exercises might work for you as well as any questions for calorie goal setting.
  • sharkweek
    sharkweek Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    In terms of Android apps, I use CardioTrainer, which monitors all kinds of exercise. It was really useful to me with walking, and as someone said above, you wouldn't have to walk fast. You might want to consider a FitBit (a device, not an app), which can monitor some kinds of activity automatically. I believe it also syncs with MFP.

If you're looking for something you can do at home, you might want to try YouTube workouts, like these: http://veggie-kat.tumblr.com/post/38720825211/knitterplease-mathcat345-healthiie-neck There are tons of quick yoga ones that can help with flexibility and keep you moving without making you go outside.

Good luck!
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Any activity can help create a deficit.
    Slow walking is better than no walking.
  • VictoriaSponges
    Options
    Oh Wow!
    Thanks so much all of you.... i must add the chemo has finished and i was goven the 5 year all clear this year but left with the PN etc.

I shall have a look at all of the recomendations you have mentioned xx Thanks again
  • yallcallmedeb
    Options
    Good for you for wanting to make lifestyle changes! I think that you've gotten some great advice. Check out the Leslie Sansone videos. The Wii is a great way to get some exercise while having a lot of fun. Have you tried a recumbent bike? They have them both as stationary bikes and outside bikes. You could also look into an adult tricycle. These all would eliminate the balance issue. Do you use a walker? That might help with allowing you to do more walking without fear of falling. Walking in the mall would even do you well. The main thing would be to do something. Any activity is better than no activity. Best wishes to you!
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Do you have a physio attached to your chemo rehab. Worth talking to them about what you can and can't do.

Gentle walking is a very good idea. You can gradually build on it as you grow in confidence. You'll get faster. With time and persistence.

Good luck. I know how tough this can be.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    I suggest an elliptical machine. It fully supports you, but allows cardio for your whole body. If you go to a gym they probably have several styles. Try all of them as each one has a very different feel.
    Best of luck to you.