Just discovered Hungry Girl cookbooks!

Options
It started with a quick trip to the grocery store to grab something quick for dinner. I was sidetracked almost as soon as I walked thru the doors by the Hungry Girl 1-2-3 cookbook. I'm so grateful I got sidetracked - what I ended up making was so much healthier (and cheaper) than I what I would have walked out with! I am such a picky eater so it's always been hard for me to make typical "diet" foods/meals but for some reason this book has made it so freakin' easy! I absolutely love it and so does my family. My son told me that the Planet Hungrywood Sweet & Cap'n Crunchy Chicken was the best chicken I ever made! LOL The recipes are easy to put together, fairly quick and they cover everything from single serving dishes, to snacks, to breakfasts, and desserts. LOVE LOVE LOVE Hungry Girl cookbooks! Grab a copy when you're out and about...

Replies

• KeriD
    KeriD Posts: 324
    Options
    Sounds good.....do they include nutritional information for each of the recipes? Thanks for sharing!!!!
  • SquidInTraining
    Options
    I love the HG cookbooks, they're brilliant! Everything I've tried has turned out really well...
  • futureonfire
    futureonfire Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Does it used a lot of processed ingredients? Just curious cause I'm trying to keep my diet clean.
  • Onederland
    Options
    sweetcaroline..
    it is sooo weird that you should mention this. I had replied to another conversation on here and "hungry girl" recipes had come up along with the website link. I just now got done checking it out and there are some awesome recipes on there using every day foods.
    We were actually just talking about the Hungry girl chocolate cake made with canned pumpkin, hehe.....have you seen this recipe yet?
    That Sweet & Cap'n Crunchy Chicken sounds ohhh sooo yummy. I'm gonna have to get me a copy of the book, hehe.

Thanks for starting this conversation :)

wasn't sure if I could add the hungry-girl website on here...but I'm sure you can just google hungry-girl ...hehe and get there no problem.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I LOVE HUNGRY-GIRL. I've got 2 of her cookbooks, and I'm likely going to pick up the new one soon. The recipes have the calorie count and such in them and one cookbook features recipes where each serving is UNDER 200 CALORIES! It's great! I've got to find more time to cook so I can try out more recipes. I have a bunch flagged that I need to try, and I have cans of pumpkin and cake mix in my cupboard waiting to try the red velvet cake with pumpkin recipe :D
  • sweetcaroline1972
    Options
    Hey Keri...some of the others already answered but I thought I'd reiterate - yes, each recipe includes all the nutritional information along with time it takes to prepare and actually cook. Many of the recipes also have information about swapping out ingredients. Check it out - I'm actually going to grab another one of the books today - apparently, there's one with recipes all under 200 calories. Good luck!
  • sweetcaroline1972
    Options
    Sorry -I'm new to this message board thing...Alicia, some of them do include processed foods but not all. My guess is that since the books seem to be geared towards ease and time-saving meals (that are healthy) there may be more processed foods than what you're looking for. Pick one of the books up though and skim thru it - decided for yourself.

BTW...I'm loving talking to new people and hearing other's thoughts. I'm all about social media and this is just another really cool tool!
  • futureonfire
    futureonfire Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks Caroline. I meantto look at the store tonight and forgot. I can always swap out ingredients as well. That sounds great!! I'm gonna check them out!! Thanks for sharing:)
  • hungrymarathongirl
    hungrymarathongirl Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I just spent the last hour on the HG site and found some great recipes. I want to buy one of her cookbooks but not sure which one? Right now, I can only afford to buy one. Which one would you suggest?