doritos have taken over my life!

Options
Hi everyone, I am new to fitnesspal. I'm hoping this works for me, I've never had to do this so I might need some tips, good recipes and excersises that make sense...and maybe someone can tell me how to kick the doritos habit. I eat them...everyday. Funny thing is...I'm not the one buying them, they replenish themselves. you know that green monster on the quit smoking commercials...I have one of those nagging me every five seconds to eat one. hah so, If anyone can help, I will greatly appreciate it!! :)

Love,
dorito queen!

Replies

• mlv333
    mlv333 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I totally know what you mean. I'm not sure if you have seen, but there is now a 100 cal box of doritos in the grocery store. It has been my savior. They are a little pricey too which helps me only eat one bag instead of the whole box. I have also bought the cookbook "hungry girl". It's soooo good. It's the low cal way of cooking all the yummy food I love. I've made many things, and everything has been delicious.

Good Luck!
  • odessa_raven
    Options
    Hi and welcome!

I never had a Doritos problem until a couple months ago when I discovered the Salsa Verde ones, yum!

Here's what quitting smoking taught me about cravings: they really will pass eventually whether you give in or not.
  • ShottaB
    ShottaB Posts: 29
    Options
    Hi Dorito Queen, Maybe your solution is to change your name to Almond Queen! ... or (insert healthy snack here) Queen. The best way to get rid of one bad habit is to replace it with a good habit. So whenever you get a craving for something bad replace it with something good. Healthy snacks, I have are almonds, cashews, pistachios ... the unsalted ones, and fruits.
    The first few weeks I was trying to change my diet there were two bags of Doritos calling me "ShottaB, eat me!", luckily I was able to say No, and haven't had any desire to eat the chips.
  • bumblebee22
    Options
    haha that is exactly what is happening. i have 4 bags in my room!! i didnt even buy them. its sad. I try.. but I guess not hard enough. This is my first step.. I think if I have support from other people I can do more. I don't have alot of support...because everyone I know thinks I'm skinny enough but wow do I ever hate the way I look in a dress or bikini. thank you everyone for the tips.. keep them coming! :)
  • erincgrace
    Options
    I love the baked cheetos. They come in 100 calorie packs so no need to count cals and they taste just like the real thing. They may have something similar for doritos. Take a look in the snack isle and see what you can find thats low cal. Look for high fiber products--keeps you feeling a little fuller longer. Good Luck!
  • bumblebee22
    Options
    I have seen the 100 calorie doritos.. I want to try that instead but I think I'd rather cut them out completely.. they are super expensive, and at this moment...no will power. haha so maybe if i tell the people I live with to hide them or not buy them.. that could work. because I don't buy them, I'm on a student budget.
  • ShottaB
    ShottaB Posts: 29
    Options
    Yea, support is very helpful, and you can get a lot of support from us here on MFP. My best friend was the one that encouraged me to say NO. She's pregnant and had a bag on her shelf, and was able to say no.
  • spaul82478
    spaul82478 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I love them too.. so once a week, i use them in my taco salad.. just a serving or two add lots of veggies and the leanest hamburger meat ever....that way I have no cravings..... good luck.... and don't totally kick them to the curb... but moderation is key.... if you give up what you like you will fail... I eat what I like but in moderation and work my butt off.... GOOD LUCK:bigsmile:
  • rocktart01
    Options
    I have learned easy acess can be quite a problem maker, take em outta your room :) and instead of eating a dorito you could have some oranges pre cut up, or instead of buying the pricey 100 calorie bags, figure out how many doritoes take to make 100 calories put them in a bowl and then thats it for the day.
  • bumblebee22
    Options
    thats a good idea.. that way the people in my house won't be deprived of them, and I can still eat a few a week. we make taco salad too.. i think the whole bag goes into it...but if i make my own, and not add as much cheese that could be what i need. we also have 5 bricks of cheese in the house at one time(that with doritos and salsa..) :S
  • anwickes
    anwickes Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    It's all about saying NO!
    Don't let those doritoes rule your life... :)

(BTW, my favourite meal nachos which is half the reason I'm where I am....)
  • pixietwilight
    pixietwilight Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Doritos for me is like a alcohol for an alcoholic. I won't do it and I can't do it. I totally agree to cut it out all together!! Special K has crackers that you can package yourself ( get little sandwich bags and you can put 17 crackers in each bag cheaper than buying 100 cal. packs. ) The Special K crackers are multi-grain and they have been awesome at giving me a healthy alternative.

Good Luck ! Be Strong
  • nickkehagias
    Options
    I don't blame you. Cool Ranch Doritos are delicious.
  • SquidInTraining
    Options

I share your love for nachos... chips covered in molten cheese?? Hold me!!
  • anwickes
    anwickes Posts: 24 Member
    Options

I share your love for nachos... chips covered in molten cheese?? Hold me!!

Now, now... this is a weight loss board remember... LOL

"Nachos are bad....Nachoes are bad....Nachos are bad!!"
  • SquidInTraining
    Options

Now, now... this is a weight loss board remember... LOL

"Nachos are bad....Nachoes are bad....Nachos are bad!!"

Right... I'm off to write lines.. "I will not encourage others to eat nachos... I will not encourage others to eat nachos"
  • krystin
    krystin Posts: 14
    Options
    haha luv the mantra!
  • krystin
    krystin Posts: 14
    Options
    It may sound weird, but try chugging - LITERALLY - a crapload of water. For cravings, I found that it has to be ice water (with maybe some lime in it. So I can pretend it's a Bud.). If it's actual hunger, and I'm ready to eat everything in sight, I go for cold milk. If the calories are too high for you (or you can put down the milk like I can), maybe try using Unsweetened Almond Breeze because it has half the calories of skim milk.

I figure if I can put down 32 oz. of water or a good 2-3 cups of milk and STILL need the Doritos, then there's just no point in denial. Be sure to stop at the half-bag point!