HARDEST FOOD TO GIVE UP DURING WEIGHT LOSS JOURNEY

Options

Replies

• logicman69
    logicman69 Posts: 1,034 Member
    Options
    Chocolate chip cookies..... my weekness.
  • DebraYvonne
    DebraYvonne Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Ice cream --- I cannot do moderation in my home anyway. Out maybe. If I ever give in and buy a half-gallon, its gone within a week. I also like cookies, brownies, etc, butter, etc.!!
  • lovemykids58
    lovemykids58 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't have to give up anything. All things in moderation. I couldn't go the rest of my life without ice cream. So I just don't eat half a gallon. One scoop and I'm done.
    This
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    Hookers and blow...

Same here...which is why I gave them up for a day (ok, ok! an hour) and then went right back to them
  • Akraz
    Akraz Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Sushi.
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I haven't completely given anything up, although I cannot keep large portions of sweets/soda in the house because I can't control myself around them. If you have a food/sugar addiction, sometimes you do have to truly give something up (at least for a while).
  • its_betty
    its_betty Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Some people have posted that they can't eat just one brownie, or just one serving of chips. Me neither. So if I really really want to have something like that for a treat, I buy a single serving. Yes, it costs more per once. But I can only eat what I have. And I enjoy the one treat more than I would if I had an endless supply in the house.
  • ncruso24
    ncruso24 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Regular soda.. I know you're not supposed to give up anything, but I decided a drastic change was needed there. Soda is just so bad, I do drink a lot of diet but I drink so much more water now! It's hard but so worth it. Honestly, I don't crave it anymore even.
  • newhabit
    newhabit Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't have to give up anything. All things in moderation. I couldn't go the rest of my life without ice cream. So I just don't eat half a gallon. One scoop and I'm done.

that's nice that you can do this but some people don't have the willpower so really the best thing is just staying away. everyone is different with this aspect of weight loss. so if you can have a little, great for you. i have to stay away from mini candy bars or i will eat 5 once i have 1.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    buffalo wings
    Peking duck
    pizza
    brownies
  • ToshaFeb268
    Options

I agree and so far this has worked for me. In the past I used restrictions and then went on binges for weeks.
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Soda. I've successfully converted to calorie free varieties, but I'm not giving those up.
  • newhabit
    newhabit Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I don't agree with everything in moderation philosophy for everyone. Some can do it; some find some foods triggering. If you can do things in moderation, do it. If not, don't. For me, I miss ice cream. I mean, I miss eating it whenever I want in whatever quantity I want. I miss the feeling of eating it out of a pint in front of the TV. I give up sugar for months at a time to sort of detox (and also for Lent) but do enjoy it occasionally the rest of the year. But keep in mind everyone, that different people have different issues with food and you don't know their background. Sometimes people do have to give something up, even on doctor's orders.

For me, I'm more likely to binge later if I eat sugar at all. I've been working on mindful eating but it's easier just not to eat it at all.

Is it possible that the binge reaction is actually caused by the all-or-nothing philosophy you employ, and not the other way around?

I personally get insane binge-y sugar cravings if I cut my carbs too low- there's what I consider a carb death-valley between ketosis and about 120 g (for me personally) total carbs, where I find myself fantasizing about pancakes and having dirty dreams about bakeries. If I get out of the danger-zone, I'm fine, and no longer likely to cut a bisch for a waffle.

maybe... but i think for me it's more about the taste of sugar. if i haven't had it for a while, it triggers a reaction. just like with alcohol for some. please keep this in mind. great if moderation works for you, but that is not the case for all of us.
  • kabel4892
    kabel4892 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    As a lot of people are saying, I havent completely given up anything. I just try to eat less of the "bad" stuff and add more good things into my diet. I still eat candy, cake, icecream, etc. I just have a handful, not the whole bag. Or a tiny piece instead of a large one. 2 scoops of ice cream instead of a whole bowl. Do i want more? yes. Do I want to gain weight? no. So, I just compromise. :)
  • cm1458
    cm1458 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    You dont HAVE to give up ANYTHING :)
    It will be Three Years ago in January that I gave up soda and all other carbonated drinks. I gave it up because I wanted to. I quit cold turkey, too.
    I also avoid other caloric beverages when I can. The only exception I make is Eggnog on Christmas and Thanksgiving.
    I could never give up eggnog for good. haha.
    But if i HAD to give up one of my favorite foods.... I think the hardest for me would be Eggnog and Coal Miners/Oreo/dirt cake.
  • ksolorzano85
    Options
    I love starbucks. A caramel frap is my drug of choice. I dont want to give it up, so I have to look at ways to make it work for me. Like no whip and instead of the whole milk I choose non-fat milk. It cuts alot of calories from it. My next step would be to drink it less often. Trying to moderate it to about 2 times a wk.
  • babyblooz
    babyblooz Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Nachos. OMG. :sad:
  • hewtab
    hewtab Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Chicken Pot Pies. I freaking love those things. I have one about every 4-6 months now. Those f*ckers are my entire calorie intake for a day. *sigh*
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Wait, you aren't supposed to eat an entire pint of ice cream at once, or a whole bag of chips? I guess I've been doing it wrong...

Moderation doesn't mean "just eat little tiny bits of stuff." Moderation means having an overall plan. I will sometimes buy a pint of ice cream with the specific plan of eating the entire thing in one sitting, it's roughly 1000 calories, and I work my life plan around it. Same thing when I occasionally buy a bag of potato chips and some dip (or home made dip, home made onion dip is amazing.) It's a couple thousand calories, but I can afford to blow a couple thousand calories over my goal once in a while. Going 2000 calories over maintenance once a month, when compared to the rest of my life span is nothing.

Moderation is being mindful of what you eat, not just cutting back on everything all the time.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I don't agree with everything in moderation philosophy for everyone. Some can do it; some find some foods triggering. If you can do things in moderation, do it. If not, don't. For me, I miss ice cream. I mean, I miss eating it whenever I want in whatever quantity I want. I miss the feeling of eating it out of a pint in front of the TV. I give up sugar for months at a time to sort of detox (and also for Lent) but do enjoy it occasionally the rest of the year. But keep in mind everyone, that different people have different issues with food and you don't know their background. Sometimes people do have to give something up, even on doctor's orders.

For me, I'm more likely to binge later if I eat sugar at all. I've been working on mindful eating but it's easier just not to eat it at all.

Your profile says you've been diagnosed specifically with a Binge Eating Disorder. Rather than "everything in moderation" not working for everyone, it's more of a "It works for everyone BUT those with a disorder."