Replies

• Jess05071981
    Jess05071981 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Mine is not a food it is WINE!!!!
  • ChinniP
    ChinniP Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I'm like an alcoholic when it comes to food ... i didn't get fat because i have will power. :) Two things i find tough to turn the spigot to "off" on are noodles and martini's. And the more martini's, the more noodles i want! :blushing:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,659 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't have to give up anything. All things in moderation. I couldn't go the rest of my life without ice cream. So I just don't eat half a gallon. One scoop and I'm done.
    THIS. Diets and weight loss regimens fail when people abstain from foods they like to eat. Once they eat it again they lose will power and the weight returns. Learn how to moderate what foods you like to eat and you'll never have to give up anything.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Chips and dip, cookies, ice cream, cheeseburgers, jalapeño bites, pizza...lots of stuff I could devour lol I just had too much of it before
  • Jkmumma
    Jkmumma Posts: 254
    Options
    I didn't give up anything. I just eat less of everything.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    Honestly? I don't like Fiber One brownies. I'd rather spend the 90 calories on something really good. A box of those brownies won't stop the urges to eat, and you'll end up with a most uncomfortable impact on your budget and your colon if you are not at a point where you can handle your portions.

I haven't actually "given up" things but what I told myself was that instead of buying the discounted stuff and getting a lot, I buy the super good stuff and get one. I make sure the times I do indulge, it's sooooo worth it. If I have a pint of ice cream in the fridge, it's gelato that's costing 8 bucks a tub but is phenomenal, because 1. I don't eat it wastefully and 2. it's amazing.

Completely understand not allowing it in the house when you know that you have a huge weakness. That in itself is a sign of self control. It's like when you quit smoking... having a pack in the house allows you to cheat, sneak, etc.

I recommend working in Luna bars for sweet chewy snacks. Chocolate whole grain cereals... I like Kellogg's Krave. When I have the money to support the habit, I keep chocolate royale SlimFast shakes in the fridge, not because I'm on that diet BUT because they provide good nutrients, protein, and fiber while giving a decent choco-fix.

Good luck finding what works for you :)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Moderation is being mindful of what you eat, not just cutting back on everything all the time.

^^this

I have not given up any foods and have full portions of the foods I like, I just fit it into my day/week.
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Popcorn. It just isn't ever going to happen. Wouldn't be bad at all if I didn't insist on drowning it in butter.
  • karibj2010
    karibj2010 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Pizza...even though I can now limit myself.
  • 3RachaelFaith3
    3RachaelFaith3 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    chocolate of all kinds.... although i agree about moderation. but moderation w chocolate is hard for me so i just about have to give it up.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't have to give up anything. All things in moderation. I couldn't go the rest of my life without ice cream. So I just don't eat half a gallon. One scoop and I'm done.

that's nice that you can do this but some people don't have the willpower so really the best thing is just staying away. everyone is different with this aspect of weight loss. so if you can have a little, great for you. i have to stay away from mini candy bars or i will eat 5 once i have 1.

If you don't train yourself, you will never have the willpower. :ohwell:

Self-control is a learned trait; it's not something you are born with.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    I don't agree with everything in moderation philosophy for everyone. Some can do it; some find some foods triggering. If you can do things in moderation, do it. If not, don't. For me, I miss ice cream. I mean, I miss eating it whenever I want in whatever quantity I want. I miss the feeling of eating it out of a pint in front of the TV. I give up sugar for months at a time to sort of detox (and also for Lent) but do enjoy it occasionally the rest of the year. But keep in mind everyone, that different people have different issues with food and you don't know their background. Sometimes people do have to give something up, even on doctor's orders.

For me, I'm more likely to binge later if I eat sugar at all. I've been working on mindful eating but it's easier just not to eat it at all.

Your profile says you've been diagnosed specifically with a Binge Eating Disorder. Rather than "everything in moderation" not working for everyone, it's more of a "It works for everyone BUT those with a disorder."

This is hardly true. Just because a person admits to suffering BED doesn't mean their words about moderation don't mean much for the un-diagnosed. Plenty of people in this world do not suffer particular disorders but have "weak spots" for special foods, drugs, and activities. It's called having a preference. Lots of us, ED or not, have favorites that we know we can't keep around if we want to make any kind of progress with our weight loss.

Lots of people choose to keep desserts as something you only have if you go to a restaurant or something. Does that mean they have a disorder? No. It means they are making a conscious choice to limit their exposure to something to eliminate temptation.

I don't know many people that can buy 2 candy bars today and leave one for next week.
  • LitaRose77
    LitaRose77 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Don't give anything up, instead cut back. You're allowed to cheat a little bit, but keep it to that, a little bit!
  • tiffanymariebrown
    tiffanymariebrown Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    It would definately be sweets! Anything chocolatey or pastry. They're just sooo good. lol. If I do cheat and eat them I have to make sure I exercise alot that day.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    I gave up nothing. It's made it all the easier to live life the healthy way.
  • 3RachaelFaith3
    Options
    lol at martini noodles post,
  • 3RachaelFaith3
    Options
    I'm like an alcoholic when it comes to food ... i didn't get fat because i have will power. :) Two things i find tough to turn the spigot to "off" on are noodles and martini's. And the more martini's, the more noodles i want! :blushing:

touche, my friend lol
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I've given up foods marketed as 'low fat', 'low calorie', 'diet' etc. etc. .

I now eat sensible portions of more nutritious food.
  • cinbol
    cinbol Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I agree with a previous poster - sometimes you just have to give up on some of your trigger foods - for me, I am on a low carb diet per Doctor's orders - my sugar levels were starting to climb and she labeled me "insulin intolerant" meaning my body just isn't converting the carbs the way it should - so my love for breads, potatoes, pasta was slowly doing me in - I am a WW lifetime member but just could not seem to get back on track counting points because I was still eating way too many carbs.... in 6 weeks I have lost almost 15 lbs - I am nearing my first goal of breaking thru the "00" and I am feeling the weight loss - my pants are looser and I can do stairs without getting out of breath. I have not been able to loose like this for the last 10 years... it was more like 1 lb a week so I would give up after the first month.... not this time!

All that said, with permission I was able to enjoy a few "goodies" over the holidays and as others have said 'in moderation" - instead of eating the whole batch of homemade sugar cookies I had 4 over two days - and that box of Godiva Chocolates that a co-worker gave me - I allowed myself 1 hour to indulge and had my hubby take them away and enjoyed every single bite!

So while for many people it is about moderation and just watching calories, there are some of us who just eat the wrong types of food and need to find the correct balance of the better foods for our metabolism.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I don't know many people that can buy 2 candy bars today and leave one for next week.

I wonder how many of them actually tried. It's called "delayed satisfaction." Yes, it comes naturally to some, but anyone can learn to do it.