staying under goals for day but no result

Options
Hello all...I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing my disappointment? I have (For the most part) stayed under my calories, fat, carbs, proteins, etc for the day with added exercise and I feel like I am staying at a stagnant weight? I am not gaining so that is a positive but I am also not losing like I was hoping for, especially by staying under my allowances for the day. Any ideas or tips or encouragement would be very much appreciated! thanks!

Replies

• andieooh
    andieooh Posts: 5
    Options
    Hi! A few thoughts:
    Great job on staying under your calorie goal and adding exercise! I would say stick with it! Maybe try a new class at teh gym or change your cardio from running to doing the stair machine or add some stairs in to your jog if possible...or jump rope. Your body gets used to doing the same exercises and you need to trick it by mixing it up every now and then. I would go with trying that before I took any more calories out of my diet.

Best of luck!!
  • lorivent1
    lorivent1 Posts: 16
    Options
    That has been happening to me too....It is frustrating! However, I started MFP in Feb/March and still waiting to lose the weight I thought I would. I have noticed, however, that I am certainly toning up and losing inches.

My recommendation would be to size your waist, hips, thighs, etc. and focus on the inches. Also.. go try on a pair of jeans that are maybe too tight and do not fit. Check back with those jeans in a month or so and see the difference. Dont always rely on the weight.
  • krystin
    krystin Posts: 14
    Options
    I'm guessing you're doing the same old routine (as mentioned above)! An easy change is to try swimming.

If you can do laps continuously, do it. The fly would give you the biggest workout (I personally think the breast stroke would do the least for a body).
    If not, most pools should be able to provide you with a kickboard. You can get a total leg workout AND lower stomach workout :D you can do normal kicking, but dolphin kicking - aka the fly kick - will again get the best results.
    If no to the above, see if the pool has aqua jogging equipment - you could probably go and buy your own even. Water jogging gives you cardio AND a huge amount of force to work against - so no need to do strength training for the day!
  • 44flasher44
    Options
    Thank you all so very much for all your comments and support so far with my topic. YOu all have helped out and have given me new ideas! Thanks so much!
  • faerygal
    faerygal Posts: 51
    Options
    From a different angle,have you eaten enough?Going under your calorie allowance and exercising more causes your body to hold onto it's fat reserves,especially if you have dieted before.I recommend upping your cals a tiny bit.Your metabolism will be fooled into thinking that the "famine" is over.
  • stuart1512
    Options
    A couple of things spring to mind:

Are you eating enough? You should be eating around your daily allowance, including your exercise calories. Under-eating can slow the rate of loss.

Are you drinking enough? You need to be making sure you are drinking sufficiently and not getting de-hydrated.

Are you varying your exercise? Your body can get used to a routine and a change can kick start the loss again.

Once in a while have a day off and eat what you want (within reason!!). It can fool your body into starting to lose again afterwards.

It could simply be your body adjusting to your lower calorie intake and a normal plateau.

Keep at it, it WILL work!

Good luck

Stu
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    If you're not losing under your current settings, my advice would be to change your goals and a different type of exercise to the equation.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    I didn't lose my first month for several reasons. First I went from not exercising at all to going 6 days a week. Then I kept my cals at around 1200 no matter what exercise I did. Lastly, my digestive system wasn't functioning properly and I was bloated and miserable. I did lose inches but only lost about 2 1/2 pounds that whole 1st month. I changed up by exercising only 3 days a week. I ate all of my allotted calories including the exercise calories. I increased my water. I started using Dieter's tea to flush out my system every night. Lastly, I started taking Calcium w/ Vitamin D added. I lost 10 pounds the second month.
    I would suggest just switching some things around to see what will trigger your body to let go of those pounds.
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I agree with those telling you to eat more. If you stroll around the message boards and look at those who have had great success on MFP - you'll find that they are advocates of eating ALL of your calories and at least some of your exercise calories. I can tell you that the 27 lbs I've lost have been the easiest I've ever lost in my life and I am a "lifetime dieter".... I am NEVER hungry and I eat more now than ever before in my life... anywhere from 1500-1700 calories BEFORE my exercise calories! And I lose pretty steadily.

Don't try to eat under your calories... eat your food so that you can fuel your body and it can burn the fat.
  • snookeroo
    snookeroo Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Hello all...I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing my disappointment? I have (For the most part) stayed under my calories, fat, carbs, proteins, etc for the day with added exercise and I feel like I am staying at a stagnant weight? I am not gaining so that is a positive but I am also not losing like I was hoping for, especially by staying under my allowances for the day. Any ideas or tips or encouragement would be very much appreciated! thanks!

This just happened to me yesterday. Tuesday is my weigh in day. I have been on here for about a month and like someone else said, losing these 11 lbs was a breeze. But I got on the scale yesterday and I lost nothing...just stayed the same as the week before. I was so disappointed! I have also stayed under my calories. I average about 4-5 miles of brisk walking (4 mph) a day. Every day! Perhaps I should follow some of the advice and eat more of my calories and not leave so many left over. Sometimes I have as much as 200 to maybe 700- 900 calories left over.

The bright side is we didn't gain. Let's keep at it!
  • 44flasher44
    Options
    Thanks again so very much everyone! I appreciate it so much and will definitely keep in mind all your advice. This is such a wonderful website thanks for the support and suggestions!