Stuck at a desk all day, want to eat everything.

Options
That's how I've gotten where I am, but I'm trying and I've done so well all day...but now the 2pm slump hits and I'd love nothing more than a bag of chips and a bag of M&M's and a large Caribou latte....... and that was my daily treat, for months, but it has to stop! And ideas? I'm snacking on green grapes and ice water. It isn't cutting it. I do have room in my calorie allotment for a bag of M&M's but once I start I cannot stop.

Replies

• Skinny_Kitty
    Skinny_Kitty Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you. It's so hard to eat well at work. Especially when the vending machine is calling your name! :)
    Today I brought a baggie with cherry tomoatoes, celery and carrots with 2 tsp. of ranch. It's 120 calories total and it's working. I cant eat it fast and the crunch is helping me from wanting chips. :flowerforyou:
  • fitfreak120
    fitfreak120 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I sit at a desk all day too, and when I started I noticed I was not as toned as I once was despite my frequent trips to the gym. So I started to do better by intensifying my gym routine and sticking to a clean, yet fully nutritive meal plan. I eat oatmeal with peanut butter for breakfast ( i use water for the oatmeal) and that alone keeps me going for quite a while. I stick to the serving size and although small and low call, its super filling and keeps me energized- most of the time i have some kind of fruit with it. Then during the day I snack on low fat yogurt with granola and mixed nuts. For lunch I have wheat/whole grain pasta with any kind of veggie- then chicken and a salad for dinner. After working out and walking i still have enough calories in my day to treat myself to a coffe (latte) from starbucks and a something sweet to keep me healthy but on track. The trick is to eat foods that are healthy and filling. It's hard to get rid of the empty calorie snacks- but once you do you feel so much better. It's not bad to treat yourself though. I always plan out my meals and snacks for the week so that if I get a craving- I know im not going to completely undo my gym time or ruin my day by feeling guilty because I've counted it in.
    I don't have a super strict diet- and for lunch I'll mix it up with sushi (with brown rice), or a mexican style chicken and rice mix with salsa and guac to keep my tase buds healthy- but I make everything my own so I know EXACTLY whats going in me- its still healthy- just not boring. I also stand up as much as I can and do leg raises under my desk- Even though i sit all day i do anything I can to move around.
  • fitfreak120
    fitfreak120 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    *taste buds happy*

Ps- I hope this helps
  • bogle34
    bogle34 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I hear U on that one! I stay busy at work and also get hungry and have the munchies. I fill up my water and make sure I keep drinking my water, I also can take 2 - 15 minute breaks one in the morning and one in the afternoon - if I have time! I try to bring healthy snacks from home and of course when I get home I keep eating - I notice the more you work out the more hungry I get - it can be frustrating but don't give up :sad:
  • Leah651
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses!
  • Angie_Fritts
    Angie_Fritts Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I bring snacks to work with me. Usually a cut up apple, almonds, string cheese etc. To keep me from the vending machine, I don't bring any money to work with me including change. That way when I am tempted to hit the vending machine.....I can't.

I am like you.....once I have one sweet treat (chocolate) it is all over.....

Planning is key.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I find that if I have something really salty, then I want to hit the vending machine for the candy, all the sodium makes me crave the sweet. I generally try to keep yogurt and apples and that is both filling and sweet enough to keep the vending machine from calling my name. When it is really bad, I get some hazelnut flavored coffee and that usually does the trick. The calories in the cream and sugar I put in the coffee is a lot less than in the candy.
  • Leah651
    Options
    Something else that is good - microwave popcorn! A whole bag is around 70 calories! And it is delicious and satisfies the salt craving. Thank you all! I allowed myself 1 bag of M&M's and I'm still well within my limit for the day.
  • dynamodi
    dynamodi Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Oh god yes this totally sums me up as well! I've been snacking on tiny portions of fruit and nuts at my desk to try and get rid of the cravings
  • veganashley
    veganashley Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I plan two snacks into my workday so I never have to go more than 2-3 hours without eating something. Boredom overtakes me sometimes, and having snacks planned helps to break up my work day and give me something to look forward to (that sounds kind of sad, but it's true!).

Most of the time I try to pack my lunch bag with everything I plan to eat for the day (pre-logged the night before!), and I don't stray from that. What's in the bag is what I am allowed to eat. It works for me. I do keep backup protein bars in my desk in case I leave my lunch on the kitchen counter or something, but I don't eat them otherwise.

Drinking a lot of tea during the day helps, too. Plus, refilling my mug gives me a reason to get up and walk around.
  • beige2012
    beige2012 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I plan two snacks into my workday so I never have to go more than 2-3 hours without eating something. Boredom overtakes me sometimes, and having snacks planned helps to break up my work day and give me something to look forward to (that sounds kind of sad, but it's true!).

Most of the time I try to pack my lunch bag with everything I plan to eat for the day (pre-logged the night before!), and I don't stray from that. What's in the bag is what I am allowed to eat. It works for me. I do keep backup protein bars in my desk in case I leave my lunch on the kitchen counter or something, but I don't eat them otherwise.

Drinking a lot of tea during the day helps, too. Plus, refilling my mug gives me a reason to get up and walk around.

love these ideas. they work for me too! I try to eat a snack right before I leave work so that I don't get home on an empty stomach and so that I can get a quick workout before dinner.