HARDEST FOOD TO GIVE UP DURING WEIGHT LOSS JOURNEY

Options

Replies

• deb3690
    deb3690 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I would have to agree with the "all things in moderation" groups.....but I definitiely don't desire junk food any more...but it was a lot of time spent being away from it that finally made it easy to see how bad it is....no more fast food fries! Baked home fries are ok once in a while....but they are almost like a different food altogether. Nope....no more fast fries for me :bigsmile:
  • LButterfly201
    Options
    Hardest? Probably biscuits...they are my weakness. Also i kinda miss normal cereals, but i used to eat farrrr too much of the wrong ones! now i have my porridge every morning without fail :)
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Giving up foods is treating the symptom, not the disease.

Learning how to enjoy food you like while fitting it in to your calorie allowance is the cure.
  • verdancyhime
    verdancyhime Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't have to give up anything. All things in moderation. I couldn't go the rest of my life without ice cream. So I just don't eat half a gallon. One scoop and I'm done.

That's the thing, though. Most westerners have a disordered relationship with food, especially most overweight people.
    There are certain foods I can not eat in moderation. Maybe one day I will be capable of that, but I am not today, and keeping them in my house too often is just going to make me depressed because I will overeat and feel like a failure.
  • Rachelle_Ohh
    Rachelle_Ohh Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Pie.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I don't agree with everything in moderation philosophy for everyone. Some can do it; some find some foods triggering. If you can do things in moderation, do it. If not, don't. For me, I miss ice cream. I mean, I miss eating it whenever I want in whatever quantity I want. I miss the feeling of eating it out of a pint in front of the TV. I give up sugar for months at a time to sort of detox (and also for Lent) but do enjoy it occasionally the rest of the year. But keep in mind everyone, that different people have different issues with food and you don't know their background. Sometimes people do have to give something up, even on doctor's orders.

For me, I'm more likely to binge later if I eat sugar at all. I've been working on mindful eating but it's easier just not to eat it at all.

Your profile says you've been diagnosed specifically with a Binge Eating Disorder. Rather than "everything in moderation" not working for everyone, it's more of a "It works for everyone BUT those with a disorder."

This is hardly true. Just because a person admits to suffering BED doesn't mean their words about moderation don't mean much for the un-diagnosed. Plenty of people in this world do not suffer particular disorders but have "weak spots" for special foods, drugs, and activities. It's called having a preference. Lots of us, ED or not, have favorites that we know we can't keep around if we want to make any kind of progress with our weight loss.

Lots of people choose to keep desserts as something you only have if you go to a restaurant or something. Does that mean they have a disorder? No. It means they are making a conscious choice to limit their exposure to something to eliminate temptation.

I don't know many people that can buy 2 candy bars today and leave one for next week.

So you're using anecdotal experience to generalize the entire populous? That was my intent with my original comment: just because YOU personally, or someone you know personally, has issues of moderation doesn't make the "everything in moderation" concept invalid.

As I said initially... someone's personal experience being categorized by a specific binge eating disorder kind of makes their statement, "I don't agree with this!" purely anecdotal. I've dealt with anorexia for over a decade, and I initially thought anyone doing IF or AF or even JUDDD was "going to ruin their metabolism" or "spiral into an ED," until I learned more and realized that *I* had a perspective that was outside of the normal way of handling things, not the other way around.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't completely give up things you love. It will eventually break you.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I don't make anything off limits. I tried making ice cream and chocolate off limits and I'm glad that I can eat one serving of each (not in the same day) as before I would eat 3-4 servings of ice cream and bags of chocolate. Chips was another weakness as i would sit and eat an entire bag, now I only have 1 to 2 servings and i make sure they are less then 200 calories per serving.

I did give up fast food and ironically now it makes me sick, even just the smell of it.

I know I wouldn't be able to go without sweets and junk, but i have them only if I have made good food choices for the day and I exercised. Some may yell at me for it, but I believe in moderation and can say that i never have drank regular soda (it makes me sick) so i have diet pepsi only after so many glasses of water.
  • verdancyhime
    verdancyhime Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I don't agree with everything in moderation philosophy for everyone. Some can do it; some find some foods triggering. If you can do things in moderation, do it. If not, don't. For me, I miss ice cream. I mean, I miss eating it whenever I want in whatever quantity I want. I miss the feeling of eating it out of a pint in front of the TV. I give up sugar for months at a time to sort of detox (and also for Lent) but do enjoy it occasionally the rest of the year. But keep in mind everyone, that different people have different issues with food and you don't know their background. Sometimes people do have to give something up, even on doctor's orders.

For me, I'm more likely to binge later if I eat sugar at all. I've been working on mindful eating but it's easier just not to eat it at all.

Your profile says you've been diagnosed specifically with a Binge Eating Disorder. Rather than "everything in moderation" not working for everyone, it's more of a "It works for everyone BUT those with a disorder."

This is hardly true. Just because a person admits to suffering BED doesn't mean their words about moderation don't mean much for the un-diagnosed. Plenty of people in this world do not suffer particular disorders but have "weak spots" for special foods, drugs, and activities. It's called having a preference. Lots of us, ED or not, have favorites that we know we can't keep around if we want to make any kind of progress with our weight loss.

Lots of people choose to keep desserts as something you only have if you go to a restaurant or something. Does that mean they have a disorder? No. It means they are making a conscious choice to limit their exposure to something to eliminate temptation.

I don't know many people that can buy 2 candy bars today and leave one for next week.

So you're using anecdotal experience to generalize the entire populous? That was my intent with my original comment: just because YOU personally, or someone you know personally, has issues of moderation doesn't make the "everything in moderation" concept invalid.

As I said initially... someone's personal experience being categorized by a specific binge eating disorder kind of makes their statement, "I don't agree with this!" purely anecdotal. I've dealt with anorexia for over a decade, and I initially thought anyone doing IF or AF or even JUDDD was "going to ruin their metabolism" or "spiral into an ED," until I learned more and realized that *I* had a perspective that was outside of the normal way of handling things, not the other way around.

Um... saying something doesn't work for everyone doesn't make it invalid. It just means it doesn't work for EVERYONE, as in all people. And anecdotal evidence is perfect for that. If it doesn't work for the people on this board who have chimed in, it doesn't work for everyone. Logic.
  • sissy685
    sissy685 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    No, I have to give it up until I am ready to just eat portions... I am so in love with brownies I could eat the whole thing for dinner with a cup of milk or ice cream and its bedtime for me

I found the best recipe for brownies. I will have to find it and message it to you. It suppose to be a lot healthier and they are still yummy! Ill look for it tonight.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

Um... saying something doesn't work for everyone doesn't make it invalid. It just means it doesn't work for EVERYONE, as in all people. And anecdotal evidence is perfect for that. If it doesn't work for the people on this board who have chimed in, it doesn't work for everyone. Logic.

I literally said that anecdotal or generalized, a concept does not become invalid because of something being said... but that having an eating disorder definitely COLORS someone's opinion.
  • kimmeyjo
    kimmeyjo Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I gave up caffiene because I just couldn't drink just one every so often. I would get headaches for having no caffiene so when I quit, I quit for good. No more sodas or tea for me and I definitely don't have anymore headaches. I had a soda a couple weeks ago when I was feeling sorry for myself and it was the nastiest thing ever. I thought I was drinking pure sugar.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Right now I am giving up grains, not so much to lose weight as attempt to get control of my ulcerative colitis. Many people with UC can't have grains, dairy, fruit, and/or seeds and nuts. I am testing grains first. I hope I don't have to give up all of the above.
  • rrrayondesoleil
    Options
    Artificial sweeteners :) I was so used to using them in coffee and salad dressing and such.
  • MzFyreKitty
    Options
    I definitely need to give up most sweets. I am addicted and once I begin eating certain (if not all ) sweets, I can't stop eating. So I am giving up cookies and sugar free candy. I'm pretty much like an alcoholic when it comes to those sweets. I can control myself with sugar free vanilla ice cream and limit that to 1/2 a cup. I've also found that if I eat fruit, it will appease the desire for junk type sweets about 90% of the time!
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    WHY give up anything?

Unless it's a trigger food of course - then that is often best.

I believe you said you were giving up brownies : (

Ohhhhh .. find a healthier brownie variation and eat in moderation and ENJOY!

It's life - gotta find a way to eat for LIFE that works for you and keeps the body fat GONE.

Brownies - off the top of my head: If you use a mix. Nix the oil - mix with plain greek yogurt instead! Cuts calories and adds a bit of protein to boot.
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I never gave up anything believe me life without the good unhealthy stuff is life not worth living. I just eat it only every once in awhile. If we get pizza I have one slice instead of 3, portion control my ice cream and buy chips sparingly. Believe me Breyers carb smart ice cream has been a life saver for me same great taste but lower in sugar, carbs, fat and calories per serving.
  • hayleyrhiane
    hayleyrhiane Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    My stumbling blocks are liquor and deep fried seafood. I've been pretty good considering it's the holidays and Mardi Gras is just around the corner.
  • JenMek11
    JenMek11 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    PASTA and cheese! I do not have much of a sweet tooth but I can down the sodium... I love comfort food can could live of pasta and cheese. I know that I need to reduce the intake if I want to ever see any kind of results; also not to use food to "celebrate" or as a reward.
  • sweets, not a whole lot, just when I need a pick me up, I try to stay away from them, and eat fruit, but if its chocolate, gooey, something, than I have to take a bite.