Running calories vs. walking calories- are they the same?

Options
This is probably a dumb question, but are all calories burned the same?

For example,
I walked 3 miles today in about 40 minutes and burned about 300 calories.
If I run 3 miles (it usually takes about 30 minutes) I burn about 400 calories.

Obviously I burn more running than walking, but are calories burned while running better than calories burned while walking? I guess in my head, walking isn't as intense as running so those calories don't count as much?

Like I said, it's dumb and maybe I just need validation. Any input?

Replies

• Carlyannabelle
    Carlyannabelle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Calories burned are calories burned no matter how it is achieved.
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I see more value in calories burned at higher intensity, but I use low intensity exercise to offset food intake.
    Both are good.
  • calisunrise
    Options
    calories burned are calories burned, therefore they are the same
  • EnderNC
    EnderNC Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I do know you have an "afterburn effect" after you run. You burn more calories for a short time after while your body is getting back to its Resting Metabolic Rate. Walking has a much, much shorter afterburn, so you burn fewer overall calories.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I am so confused......there aren't different types of calories..
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    If you earn $1 while digging a ditch, and you also earn $1 while reading a letter, the $1 you earn digging the ditch won't buy you more just because it took more effort. A dollar is a dollar. A calorie is a calorie.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I do know you have an "afterburn effect" after you run. You burn more calories for a short time after while your body is getting back to its Resting Metabolic Rate. Walking has a much, much shorter afterburn, so you burn fewer overall calories.

This
    But if one can't run due to impact pain then walking is very good for calorie burn.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Calories burned are "generally" calories burned however there is some difference in what type of calories are being used based on the intensity.

If you are walking, jogging or running at a slower pace generally you are using fat stores as energy which are harder to convert to energy. ~65% of your max heart rate

When you start running faster you actually start using your carbohydrate/glucose stores (you have fewer of these) but they are easier to turn into energy. 85% and higher of your max heart rate
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    That's what I thought, and what makes sense, I guess I just needed someone else to tell me to make me feel better about not running lol. I've been sick for awhile so I haven't been able to exercise until today when I went on a walk. I guess I felt kind of guilty? I don't know lol. Thanks!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Calories are a unit of heat. Its like saying its 69 degrees in here, but I used a gas furnace instead of my electric heater.

no matter what, its 69. One might cost more money and have different side effects, but heat is heat.
  • Sarahbara76
    Sarahbara76 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Your heart rate is higher when you run so that uses more fuel (think what you ate earlier that day)and with walking & jogging (slower running) you burn more stored calories..
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    The only difference between walking and running is that running will get you to your destination faster.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    It only seems like she is asking about the calories. What she is actually asking about is metabolic effect. And the metabolic effect of running is much greater than walking. Calories are calories, but intensity of effort changes the results you will experience
  • BigDave1050
    BigDave1050 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    This is like one of those "what weighs more, a ton of bricks or a ton of feathers?" questions.

Calories burned are just that, calories burned. your body constantly burns calories (well as long as your alive it does)
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Running burns slightly more calories per mile than walking the same distance. There's negligible EPOC for either activity unless you're doing sprints. Higher intensity excercise is much more likely to improve your VO2max. The better exercise is the one you like and will continue doing long term.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    Yes, they.............wait..................what?