HARDEST FOOD TO GIVE UP DURING WEIGHT LOSS JOURNEY

Options

Replies

• wendygutie
    wendygutie Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Haven't given anything up yet...that I can think of. hmmmm nope. Portion control is all that is needed and staying within daily calories. Eat a couple cookies, not the box :D
  • whit1108
    Options
    I don't think you should have to give up anything. All things in moderation! :)
  • sofulnaturalee
    sofulnaturalee Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Turtles candy. Really anything chocolate with nuts :cry:
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I don't make brownies or cookies because I will eat all of it. ALL OF IT. However, I haven't given them up totally, I will occasionally have one somewhere else. At a friends house, or at a pot luck dinner or whatever. There I won't eat them all.

I haven't really given anything up totally, I just have changed how much of it, or how often I eat it.
  • SF2514
    SF2514 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Anything from a "____bertos" location and Taco Bell lol.
  • butterfly_94501
    Options
    PASTA, AND RICE....I HATE THE WHOLE WHEAT PASTA. BUT AS SOMEONE MENTIONED BELOW YOU DO NOT HAVE TO GIVE IT ALL UP. I JUST DO A CUP HERE OR THERE. I AM FROM THE SOUTH SO MAJORITY OF MY DISHES INCLUDE RICE. I HAVE TRIED DIFFERNT BROWN RICES BUT NEVER FOUND ONE THAT TASTE THAT GOOD. UNTIL I FOUND ABOUNT MINUTE RICE BROWN RICE. IT IS THE ONLY PASSABLE BROWN RICE THAT TASTE GOOD TO ME. I STILL DO MY JASMINE RICE BUT I SWITCH IT UP FROM TIME TO TIME. AS FAR AS PASTA GO I HATE THE WHOLE GRAIN SO U KNO WHAT I BUY, THE REGULAR KIND AND I ENJOY ALL THE NUTRIENTS IT OFFERS., LOL. JUST USE MODERATION AND U CAN PRETTY MUCH EAT EVERYTHING AND MAKE SURE YOU DRINK WATER............ALSO FOR MY COFFEE LOVEERS I USE TO DRINK STARBUCKS EVERYDAY AND WHEN U SEE THE CALORIE INTAKE IT IS RIDICULOUS. I STARTED A BUSINESS AND I SELL "HEALTHY COFFEE" AND IT PROMOTES WEIGHT LOSS, CURB APPETITE, AND ITS FREAKIN DELICOUS. IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED INBOX ME AND I'LL GIVE YOU MORE INFORMAITON AND EVEN OFFER YOU FREE SAMPLES SO YOU CAN TRY IT OUT. i USED IT FOR 2 WKS AND INCORPORTATED EXERCISE AND LOST 5 LBS. IT'S REALLY GOOD AND AGIAN ITS FREAKIN HEALTHY..I LOVE IT.
  • paperhawk
    paperhawk Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I gave up, bread, potatoes (no big deal) and all grain based pasta, Ben and Jerry's and anything sugar based. Now that I am on day 260 I don't even miss that stuff.

I have a piece of Dove Dark Choc now and then, but it was easier for me to knock out whole categories of food, since reading the Primal Blueprint book by Mark Sisson, my energy levels are way up and I feel so much better.

The everything in moderation thing just doesn't work for me. Too easy to rationalize (for me). Moderation is the first step on the road to hell, for me anyway.
    Down 51 pounds since April 10 2012. I am pretty happy withe the slow loss, the lifestyle change is the best part, this is not a temporary thing. I will keep doing my MFP and my Excel Spreadsheet of exercise, BP and cal/carbs tracking for my next 50 years....

Jon Hanson
  • squishyjenn
    squishyjenn Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Hm...I'd say sushi. All you can eat sushi, to be exact.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I don't agree with everything in moderation philosophy for everyone. Some can do it; some find some foods triggering. If you can do things in moderation, do it. If not, don't. For me, I miss ice cream. I mean, I miss eating it whenever I want in whatever quantity I want. I miss the feeling of eating it out of a pint in front of the TV. I give up sugar for months at a time to sort of detox (and also for Lent) but do enjoy it occasionally the rest of the year. But keep in mind everyone, that different people have different issues with food and you don't know their background. Sometimes people do have to give something up, even on doctor's orders.

For me, I'm more likely to binge later if I eat sugar at all. I've been working on mindful eating but it's easier just not to eat it at all.

Your profile says you've been diagnosed specifically with a Binge Eating Disorder. Rather than "everything in moderation" not working for everyone, it's more of a "It works for everyone BUT those with a disorder."

This is hardly true. Just because a person admits to suffering BED doesn't mean their words about moderation don't mean much for the un-diagnosed. Plenty of people in this world do not suffer particular disorders but have "weak spots" for special foods, drugs, and activities. It's called having a preference. Lots of us, ED or not, have favorites that we know we can't keep around if we want to make any kind of progress with our weight loss.

Lots of people choose to keep desserts as something you only have if you go to a restaurant or something. Does that mean they have a disorder? No. It means they are making a conscious choice to limit their exposure to something to eliminate temptation.

I don't know many people that can buy 2 candy bars today and leave one for next week.

I bet you would find a lot of successful people have learned to do EXACTLY that. This is my candy-corner in my kitchen right now- I live alone- this is all mine. Tonight, I ate exactly one caramel smidgen. It was delicious. I will eat the rest as I see fit, within the confines of my calories, and I will meet my goals while doing it.
    candy_zpsdb491c47.jpg
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Carbs
  • keenesmom
    keenesmom Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Hookers and blow...

I just LOLLed for real...
  • cjsacto
    cjsacto Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I didn't give up any food groups so I'm still eating most of my favorite foods, some modified to be healthier. I did give up everything on Taco Bell's menu and I haven't been to Starbucks or Panda Express or Cold Stone Creamery in over 60 days. Surprisingly, I haven't really missed them but I always notice when I drive by one and have a little flash memory of what I used to get.
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Kraft Dinner. Processed box of heaven.
  • mocoston
    Options
    For me, it is definitely chocolate and Godiva's chocolate bar with almonds (230 cals) to be exact! I LOVE those things!!
  • SLRamirez2012
    Options
    Taco bell... I still eat it sometimes... just about half or less of what I used to eat (yes,I ate that much...)
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    I didn't give up anything. I don't believe in restricting food groups or products. My only requirement is that they need to be all natural.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    For weight loss, I didn't give up anything. To feel better overall, I gave up pop and ALL fast food. Both make me feel like dirt and aren't worth the calories anyway.

Everything else? FAIR GAME if I want it! I make sure I read what a serving size is and follow it.
  • Daisychain65
    Daisychain65 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Pringles
  • lithiumkat
    Options
    Pizza, but I've found that I can make a healthier version on a whole wheat english muffin or a high fiber low cal tortilla using a healthy can of spaghetti sauce on it with some low fat variety of cheese and turkey bacon with garlic powder and baked. Is it the same as binging on Domino's...not by any means, but I will occasionally (like once a month) allow a couple pieces of the order out variety and try to stick with something simple like a hand tossed pineapple variety. It's all about willpower and sometimes creativity to make something similar enough to satisfy that craving and taste great, without breaking the calorie bank so to speak or just pumping yourself full of fat. I want something I can stick with for the long run and that I'm not going to just get frustrated and give up and start binging on "forbidden foods." But there is something to be said about simple avoidance for things that you know are hard to control yourself around, I have to do a little bit of that as well.

And in reply to the post about the buying candy and saving it. I had several mini candy bars and hershey's kisses in a drawer in my room for MONTHS and though I've eaten some of them over the past several months. There are still some stuck in there in the stash. For when I FEEL like working them in and rewarding myself to one. But I can open that drawer, and see that stuff in there and close it and it's all right here in my bedroom and I won't take it out and eat it until I consciously decide to do so...
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    Nothing