Eating for your Dosha

Does anyone follow an ayurvedic eating plan? If so do you feel healthier for it, have you list weight...and what dosha type are you?

I've recently started to eat for a Kapha dosha imbalance and feel less lethargic and think more clearly, I've ltd. a little weight but not much and can't be sure if it's a loss due to the food or not.

The Ayurveda group's been very helpful, but there's just a couple of people interacting,and I'm hoping to hear of an ayurvedic weight loss success :)

Replies

• I am a Vata/Pitta and have eaten for my dosha in the past.
    I can say that I felt the best I have ever felt when I ate that way but I gained too much weight from it.
    I need to go back and find the balance.
  • ladams562
    ladams562 Posts: 26 Member
    I didn't know what this was so I went to check it out. Is it a coincidence that all the foods I live are the ones they tell me to stay away from? Also, does anyone do this with a SO? Because our recommended diets are pretty much opposite and I am not sure how to make that work.....
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    I did this several years ago. I can't remember what my dosha was but I tried to avoid the stuff it said to avoid and focus on the stuff it said to eat. After a few weeks I said "fck that" because it said I shouldn't eat spicy food and I dearly love spicy food. I sh!tcanned the whole idea and went back to eating whatever I wanted. I saw no difference.
  • I am a Vata/Pitta and have eaten for my dosha in the past.
    I can say that I felt the best I have ever felt when I ate that way but I gained too much weight from it.
    I need to go back and find the balance.

I'm feeling a lot better too. I read about Kapha dosha a few months ago, but the only change I made was to stop eating dairy. It's had an amazing affect - I'm asthmatic and have felt less chesty since I stopped using milk. I use Rice and Almond Milk substitutes. Although it's helped me feel better it hasn't really affected my weight, but this is going to be a life time change as I love waking up not looking puffy and feeling sluggish.

The other diet changes are challenging, as Kapha's have to stay away from all the stodgy, sweetish foods Vatas get to have. Kaphas are also the only body type advised that skipping breakfast will be beneficial - and I've only just gotten into the habit of five small meals.
  • I didn't know what this was so I went to check it out. Is it a coincidence that all the foods I live are the ones they tell me to stay away from? Also, does anyone do this with a SO? Because our recommended diets are pretty much opposite and I am not sure how to make that work.....

What is an SO? The list of foods that work for certain doshas is interesting. Before I read up on Doshas my sister started to eat lots of raw foods and lost a lot of weight. I tried the same diet and wasn't getting the same sort of energy boost she had, plus my digestion slowed down a lot. Then I started to read about doshas and turns out my sister is a pitta and the diet she happened to be doing is actually recommended for her dosha...and Kaphas like me are told to say away from cold foods, that are raw.

Warm, well cooked foods, spicy foods are good for Kaphas. I feel better with peppery soups than I do eating carrot sticks.

I think I'll stick with it, maybe the weightloss will come while I'm feeling healthier from staying away from/ reducing dairy and sugars.
  • I did this several years ago. I can't remember what my dosha was but I tried to avoid the stuff it said to avoid and focus on the stuff it said to eat. After a few weeks I said "fck that" because it said I shouldn't eat spicy food and I dearly love spicy food. I sh!tcanned the whole idea and went back to eating whatever I wanted. I saw no difference.

Thanks, that's interesting you noticed no difference, definitely doesn't sound like you had an incentive to restrict any foods.

It sounds as though you're either Vata/Pitta or a combo of the two. Vatas are told not to have spicy stuff because they naturally have a ton of energy and the spices further increase the metabolism which in turn can affect the nervous system - increased insomnia and anxiety. Pittas are also advised to reduce spicy stuff, but I don't think it's as strong a recommendation for them as for Vatas. Kaphas are advised to have spices because their prone to lethargy and depression and need that sort of 'heat' to fire up the metabolism.