how do you get your fiber in on a lower carb diet?

Options
I am working on my grocery list for this next week... and I have decided that I am going to be watching my carbs for a while. Not for the sole purpose of losing weight,(although I hope that is a side effect) but because I want to boost my protein intake and also because I think I have a real carb problem. When I am not monitoring myself I probably consume upwards of 300 carbs per day, and the majority of them are not the good kind...Not going super low carb, It will vary between 75-ish and 200 grams per day... but trying to kick this habit I have of reaching for all things starchy. So I wont be buying crackers and pretzels very often and I wont be serving potatoes with dinner all of the time... But I also want to make sure I am getting enough fiber... so do any of you have tricks for boosting fiber intake while still keeping my carbs under control? I am not big on supplements, but I will consider it.

Replies

• mactaffy84
    mactaffy84 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Veggies. Greens, salad greens, legumes (I particularly like peas), nuts, beans. Berries like raspberries are loaded with fiber. Fruit also, though I tend to eat way more veggies than fruits. You should have no problems getting your, fiber up if you eat these things.

Good luck!
  • Katalyst77
    Options
    Thanks!
  • mamajenb
    mamajenb Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Many of the lower carb breads and tortillas like la tortilla factory are very high in fiber
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    you can always supplement with metamucil if needed.

when I was on a low carb diet I never had any trouble in the bathroom area, which is really the only thing you need to worry about fiber for.
  • Katalyst77
    Options
    you can always supplement with metamucil if needed.

when I was on a low carb diet I never had any trouble in the bathroom area, which is really the only thing you need to worry about fiber for.

LOL! That is what I am worried about! Good to know!
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

LOL! That is what I am worried about! Good to know!

typically with low carb, you'll up your protein and fats. and the fats/oils seem to keep things working well.

coconut oil sends a lot of people to the toilet. never bothered me.