i dont want to punk out

Options
I started working out a couple days ago and i know its normal to feel sore and some pain but how do i know if I'm over doing it because my lower back hurts real bad and my thighs and calves are real tight and sore, to the point that i wanna take a few rest days . when i take a "few" rest days i find it hard to start back up

Replies

• upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Totally take a few days to rest from 'working out', and use them to walk or swim.

In a few weeks your recovery will improve and you'll be able to work out more often.
  • KaydaRN
    Options
    if you split up your body parts for different days of the week it will keep you in the gym more often.
    Day 1: Legs
    Day 2: Chest/Triceps
    Day 3: Back/Biceps
    Day 4: Shoulders
    and you can fill in between these days with cardio or:
    Day 1: Upper body
    Day 2: Cardio/abs
    Day 3: Lower body
    Day 4: Cardio/abs
    and repete how ever you like.

There are a lot of other ways to split. Just watch your form, don't go too heavy where you loose your form because then injury can occure. It will hurt, but keep it up, adding cardio days in between will keep you loose and less sore.
  • Rum_Runner
    Rum_Runner Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    ^^agree with above

Do not do the same muscle group two days in a row- unless its cardio but even then you want to gradually increase your exercise.

Sounds like you did not stretch near enough. Instead of a rest day, I'd look online/ google/ youtube some stretching exercises and do that for 30 min for one day and eat a couple bananas (the potassium will help the muscles). Then you should be ready to take on your routine the day after. One rest/stretch day should be fine and then ease back into it - then STRETCH!!
  • wmagoo27
    wmagoo27 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Up your protein intake to help with recovery and ice anything that's sore 20 min. on and 20 min. off for 1 to 1.5 hours after a hard workout. (I like to use a bag of frozen peas) Stretch before AND after a hard workout. Do some light walking or easy cardio on off days. The added light exercise will help get rid of the sore feeling. Don't forget to drink plenty of water.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I'm busy at work, but I hope someone in my FL comes by and offers some actual good advice
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    Muscle soreness is normal but shouldn't be bad enough that you can't work through it. I dont think lower back pain is normal though. What are you doing for exercise? If you are strenght training it could be because of bad form.
  • elprincipito
    elprincipito Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    lower back shouldn't be hurting, you're doing something wrong
  • TaterTotz777
    Options
    drink a ton of water and take some advil, take a day of rest if you need to but dont stop moving. On the days you are sore, go for a light walk or try some yoga!
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    You didn't specify what type of workout you did. Is your low back pain muscular or do you think you messed up a disc or something. If you're sure it's just muscular then work through it. I like to go for a short easy run when my muscles are sore to get things moving and keep everything from stiffening and locking up on me. Keep moving if it's muscular soreness.

If you think you jacked up your back go see a doctor before you do anything else. Disc issues are not to be taken lightly (I know, I did - not good).
  • Ghkffb56
    Ghkffb56 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    the pain is all part of the game.. keep going and you will come to love it. DONT GIVE UP.
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Muscle soreness is normal and good. IF you worked out yesterday or a few days ago and are sore...it's called DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness), that's a good thing. If you did a full body workout yesterday, rest today and get back in there tomorrow.

Or....go for a walk or jog today to get that blood pumping and I bet your muscles will feel better. Don't stop working out. Give yourself a day inbetween workouts, but get back to it!
  • BigDave1050
    BigDave1050 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Maybe get a foam roller and roll out your muscles? What kind workout are you doing?
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    I started working out a couple days ago and i know its normal to feel sore and some pain but how do i know if I'm over doing it because my lower back hurts real bad and my thighs and calves are real tight and sore, to the point that i wanna take a few rest days . when i take a "few" rest days i find it hard to start back up

my advice, take 30 days off, workout for 3 days, then take 45 days off.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    stretching is key.
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Try doing some yoga, or just some low impact cardio. I love the feeling of being slightly sore, it means I worked hard.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    Without knowing the exercise, my guess from your complaint is that you were running on a treadmill or something similar. Make sure you are not running on a zero incline, you should always have some incline, even if a tiny bit.

I do agree with stretching but a lot of training studies show that the stretching is most needed AFTER a work out. This is when your muscles are most pliable.

If you are running, you should be starting with a few minutes of walking to warm up, then gradually increase your speed. Cool down in the same manner, then stretch. Don't just flop onto a chair or hop in the shower. Just because the run is over doesn't mean your responsibility for taking care of your body is over.

I would stagger running days with strength training, and make sure to focus on ab work. Lots of people don't realize that when their back hurts in the lumbar region, it is often because their abs are not strong enough and their back is over compensating. Also, treat yourself to an epsom salt soak once a week at least and massage muscles underwater. It feels amazing!
  • doyewole
    Options
    Muscle soreness is normal but shouldn't be bad enough that you can't work through it. I dont think lower back pain is normal though. What are you doing for exercise? If you are strenght training it could be because of bad form.

mostly Pilates and medium cardio i haven't lifted any types of weights, and any time i start back exercising my back always gives me problems
  • doyewole
    Options
    You didn't specify what type of workout you did. Is your low back pain muscular or do you think you messed up a disc or something. If you're sure it's just muscular then work through it. I like to go for a short easy run when my muscles are sore to get things moving and keep everything from stiffening and locking up on me. Keep moving if it's muscular soreness.

If you think you jacked up your back go see a doctor before you do anything else. Disc issues are not to be taken lightly (I know, I did - not good).

Cardio and Pilates
  • doyewole
    Options
    ^^agree with above

Do not do the same muscle group two days in a row- unless its cardio but even then you want to gradually increase your exercise.

Sounds like you did not stretch near enough. Instead of a rest day, I'd look online/ google/ youtube some stretching exercises and do that for 30 min for one day and eat a couple bananas (the potassium will help the muscles). Then you should be ready to take on your routine the day after. One rest/stretch day should be fine and then ease back into it - then STRETCH!!

i stretch daily regardless if i exercise or not its a habit I picked up from when i used to cheer
  • cjsacto
    cjsacto Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options

mostly Pilates and medium cardio i haven't lifted any types of weights, and any time i start back exercising my back always gives me problems

Work on abs - helps support the way you carry yourself, can help with the back issues. I also do hamstring stretches specifically, a physical therapist showed me some back in my 20s when I was having chronic lower back pain, and they work miracles. Here's a random website with stretches, look for more and find what you like:
    http://www.spine-health.com/wellness/exercise/specific-hamstring-stretches-back-pain-relief

Edit: I also had lower back pain when I started using the treadmill, but it got better and as another poster said a slight incline feels a lot more comfortable.

Edit #2: I also found out back when I was having back pain that I have a slight curvature of the spine and my hips are not even. A visit to a chiropractor may be very helpful.