Food Uniform

Options
I have what I like to call my "food uniform" for breakfast and dinner. For breakfast, it is a hard boiled egg, a piece of fruit and a cup of coffee. Dinner is a piece of protein, salad and wild rice. Easy. Done. Brainless. Every day. I love it, and find comfort in knowing the calories, and I can vary it enough that I do not get bored.

My issues is lunch...to me the worst meal of the day! I'd love a 'uniform' for lunch, that is simple and easy to make.
I'd love any suggestions if you have a go-to meal every day.

Thanks!

Replies

• cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Salad made with baby spinach or mixed greens, grape tomatoes, cucumbers, avocado, some leftover grilled chicken or deli turkey, or sometimes chick peas, a tablespoon of blue cheese or feta crumbles, dress with salt & pepper, oregano, and a little olive oil and balsamic.

You can switch up the type of greens, proteins and other veggies, but it's pretty basic.
  • Sarah1023
    Sarah1023 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I have what I like to call my "food uniform" for breakfast and dinner. For breakfast, it is a hard boiled egg, a piece of fruit and a cup of coffee. Dinner is a piece of protein, salad and wild rice. Easy. Done. Brainless. Every day. I love it, and find comfort in knowing the calories, and I can vary it enough that I do not get bored.

My issues is lunch...to me the worst meal of the day! I'd love a 'uniform' for lunch, that is simple and easy to make.
    I'd love any suggestions if you have a go-to meal every day.

Thanks!
    I eat the same exact breakfast and lunch daily...My lunch is pretty easy...baked chicken or fish with steamed green beans or asparagus and recently I've added 1/2 sweet potato. Filling and yum!
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    how long have you been doing this? Is it really realistic and sustainable?
  • dantrick
    dantrick Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's - Organic Free Range Boneless & Skinless Chicken Breasts Accurate, 4 oz

Green Giant - 100% Natural Valley Fresh Steamers W/ Broccoli, Carrots, Cauliflower & Cheese Sauce, 1 container (1 1/2 cup cookeds ea.)

its a simple lunch but lots of protein and complex carbs. best thing is the steamers are microwaveable for that on the go style lunch.
  • verdancyhime
    verdancyhime Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    That sounds yummy! I am hoping to come up with something like this that is easy to pack ahead and bring to work with me, individual portions of spinach or mixed greens with some cheese would work well, and I could keep a bottle of an appropriate dressing at work.

Because I work a lot of shift work, my lunches at work tend to be too small and consist of "grab and nom" stuff like hardboiled eggs, string cheese, etc.
  • verdancyhime
    verdancyhime Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    how long have you been doing this? Is it really realistic and sustainable?

I eat like this a lot of the time whether I'm trying to watch what I eat or not... Some people get tired of eating the same few things over and over and some of us can eat the same meal for a couple weeks as long as we like the taste. It depends on the kind of person you are. You can always have one or two components you switch out, too, like OP said, or decide to make an effort a few times a week.

This is why fast food is so appealing to a lot of people. You don't have to think about what you're eating, you just do it on autopilot. If it works for the people who eat the same hamburger several times a week it should work to program your brain to default to eating healthier alternatives.
  • latsirk
    latsirk Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Ohh...I like the idea of adding in the sweets potato. They are so good! I can bake a few off on Sunday, and be ready to go.

I have been doing this for years, and for me, it is very realistic and sustainable.

The 'uniform' idea actually came from a nutritionist that I went to. She had told me that many people, who have a food routine often find success. I travel quite a bit for work, and often, I do not eat the same breakfast. I never feel as good as when I have my egg and fruit. For me, it is the perfect start. 25 pounds ago, I started out with 2 eggs, then went down to one, as my needs to feel full changed.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will need to look into those TJ's chicken breasts.