Need cheering up please

Options
karenjoy
karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
I am feeling a bit sorry for myself and need to get it off my chest, if that's OK?

I have wanted to have the top of my ear pierced for years, first off after my daughter had it and I was surprised that my Mum actually liked it, after she did I thought about having it done and didn't ever get around to it. I then saw Meryl Streep had it done in Mama Mia and though about it again, but once more never got round to it. I set out on my weight loss goal a few weeks ago now and decided that when I lost a stone (14 lbs) I would 'reward' myself with something that was just for me and not a food item, so decided on having my ear done. I have talked about it for some time to my Husband, told him what I planned as my reward, asked him what he though etc, he said yes, go for it, it's your ear etc, then I told him I had reached my goal (and passed it) and that my daughter was home from University and that we were going to go together, I said to him what do you think? He said that was fine, and then joked that if I was having it done I had to tidy away the clean laundry, I went with my daughter, on the way I rang my husband and said I am on my way, are you sure you don't mind me doing this? He said no, that's fine, it's your ear. I then rang him afterwards, very happy with myself and he sounded a bit off, I thought maybe he was busy, so didn't think too much about it. I was excited and happy all day and when he came home showed him, he seemed a bit dismissive and asked how much it cost, I told him it was £15 and he said 'oh less that I thought' I then have friends round, show them my ear all excitedly and they liked it. Later on when they have gone I came on here to enter my food and notice that under my post about 'being pierced' he had put 'pffft' I asked him about it and he said that he didn't really like it, thought it was a 'lame' place to have pierced and that it was not a piercing he 'liked' as much as 'some'. I was taken aback and said 'but I asked you' and he said you asked me what I thought and I told you it was your ear, I then said to him but I asked you if you minded me getting it done, but he then got angry and said I didn't, said it was a 'lame' piercing again. and I just felt horrible, I had been so exited and then I just felt totally deflated, I tried to talk to him, but he got cross at me saying that why was I upset and I said because you waited until AFTER I had it done to tell me you don't like it, he then said it's not my favourite piercing, I think it looks dumb' I said to him that was not fair, and that I had asked him, he said that he told me it was my ear, I said I know, but why wait until AFTER to tell me you think it's lame and dumb? He just got cross and shouted at me and said why should I care what he thought if it's what I wanted and it made me happy? But what I can't make him understand is that now I know he thinks it's lame and dumb that it doesn't make me happy, he then said if I felt like that I should take it out. I then tried to ask him why he waited until it was done to say this and said that it was not fair. He got all defensive and I could see it was not going anywhere, but I could have cried, I still feel bad today, it's taken something away from me and I feel so sad about it, I know that every time I see it I will think that he thinks it's lame or dumb and that makes me feel like crying.

I just feel so down today, that I could give it all up and just eat junk and not care about my diet. I don't understand why he waited to say that stuff until after and then tells me that I shouldn't care what other people think if it makes me happy, but I DO care what HE thinks and I just don't know if I am being stupid or if he is being unfair.

I just wish I had not done it now.:brokenheart:

Replies

• ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm... Being a married man I understand that sometimes we agree to things that we don't care for just to keep the peace, but once done we don't usually disagree with it openly. If your guy had a real issue with this he should have said so up front. Sounds like you offered him every chance to disagree. That too may have put him in a corner. He said it was fine once and then couldn't find a way to back out.
    Also - being a man - he will get used to it, he's in shock that you didn't read his concerns when he was telling you 'It's your ear". I would just move on. I am sure your relationship is stronger than this little thing. A few months from now it won't even be an issue (unless he holds grudges :huh: ).

That's what you get for marrying a "MAN". :smile:
  • jenstrausbaugh
    Options
    Wow.

Has he met a milestone yet? If not maybe he is a little jealous. I would be mad at my husband too if he did that!

If you like it, leave it in! I got my nose pierced last year and I have some that like it and some that hate it but it is my nose so it doesn't matter!

HUGS!!!!!
  • kellykat
    kellykat Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Who cares what he thinks? He had every opportunity to tell you no, and he didn't - so screw him! If the piercing makes you happy (and before he was negative about it, it did) then enjoy it. You worked hard for that earing. Don't let him take that away from you. He will get over it and this will teach him to speak his mind next time instead of making you feel bad about an award you earned by completing a goal. I have the upper ear piercing and I love it! Your friends and your daughter love it. Enjoy your piercing and wear it proudly as something you worked hard for. I'm sorry he had that reaction, but he will get over it.
  • Mimis5
    Mimis5 Posts: 19
    Options
    Honey, maybe this isn't about you at all....just maybe this is about him. He just may be feeling that he should make some changes in his life and it isn't as easy as having your ear pearced. Be thrilled about the grand things you are doing for yourself! You deserve to celebrate! Just Love him anyway even when he's being a poop!
  • ruby1025
    ruby1025 Posts: 7
    Options
    I think it is great that you set a goal and you met it and you did something nice for yourself! Congrats to you! Men have it easier, from what I have seen, with loosing weight. They don't realize how hard it can be for us to even take off a pound. He may not understand what it really symbolized for you and how much it meant to you for him to be happy about it. Unless you feel talking it out would help, I would just move on and be proud of your accomplishment and your piercing. Weigh to go!!!
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    Well, men can be strange about certain things. When I told my husband I was doing this, he was really excited for me. As I get smaller and more fit he's started offering me junk food and calling me "muscles" and telling me I make him look bad. Maybe it isn't so much about the ear as he may feel threatened about your success. Men don't really like change all that well. He'll get used to your piercing. He's probably just shocked by the change in you.
    Keep your chin up, I'm sure you look fabulous.
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    Thank you, he is also losing weight and has lost 23lb so I don't think it's that. I just wish he told me that he thought it was lame and dumb BEFORE I had it done, and if he felt he couldn't, then keep it to himself after.

PAH man are hard to understand
  • Fit4Vet
    Fit4Vet Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I think he's being silly and childish. BUT, that's just "IMHO"!

Regardless of what he thinks, you obviously liked it - twice, three times actually - and YOU did the work & YOU deserved the REWARD!

Besides that, I understand that sometimes we just feel like giving up, but look at how much better you feel after having lost a stone!

Sure, there may be a lot of other piercings he likes better...maybe he can make suggestions for other milestones...BUT, this one is your's (i.e. NOT HIS), so don't let him ruin it for you!

M....E....N....pffffttt, indeed!
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    My opinon is that you both are getting way to worked up about this. You told him what you planned to do. He said he didn't care. You like the piercing. Who cares what he thinks? He had has chance to give his opinon and now it is too late. It is just an ear piercing (and I say that having 6 in each ear). It's not like you got a more private area pierced.

Enjoy your reward. You earned it. :smile: