So, I want to run a marathon.

Options
2»

Replies

• joyosplash
    Options
    Depends on your goal. If you just want to finish it no matter how long it takes, you can totally do it in 4-5 months. I know, because I did it.

However, if you want to have a great time, and include speed work in your training, then take your time! Train for smaller events and work your way up.
  • cms721
    cms721 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Get fitted for some NICE running shoes and train properly - do not overdue it - your body will rebel. The sorness will go away, your accomplishments are forever.
  • Michshellars
    Options
    You can definitely do it! I'm sure I'm repeating what many people have said already, but here are my thoughts. I had started training for a marathon about 8 yrs ago and got up to 10 miles and couldn't walk. I had such painful achilles tendonitis, it was so painful to even walk. I had to drop out of my training then, and was kind of scared of running again, until I tried the Galloway run/walk program. Basically, you do intervals of running and walking. For me it made it so much better and I was able to complete a half marathon in 2011. This year I had been training for another one and was again sidelined by injuries. So here's my advice:

1. Be consistent. I would do 2 short runs a week and then one long one. You must get the short runs in, the long runs build up your endurance but you need to keep doing the short runs too.

2. Give yourself enough time to train. If you are at a mile now, and let's say you think it will take a year for you to build up to running a marathon, sign up for one next fall/winter. You can do it! You don't want to pick a date that is too soon and stress yourself and your body out by overtraining and injuring yourself.

3. Stretch!!! Seriously, take time to stretch properly. This can prevent many injuries. It's debatable whether you should stretch before or after exercise or both. It's up to you, and read up on it.

4. Wear proper gear. Invest in a good pair of running shoes and a good sports bra, those are key.

5. Put your running clothes on your dresser/someplace super visible so you see them and don't start rationalizing why you shouldn't run today. Getting out there and the first mile or so is definitely out there, so pat yourself on the back every time you get out there!

Good luck, let us know how it goes!
  • ChristyU74
    ChristyU74 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    What a fantastic goal! I ran a half marathon a few years ago, and found the book "Marathoning for Mortals" by John Bingham to be pretty helpful. He has training programs for half and full marathons, and he answers a lot of questions about training, fueling, shoes, etc.

Good luck!!
  • jsickman12
    jsickman12 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Here is a training schedule I used for my first marathon. Saturdays are long run days, and most important, especially the 20 mile run day. Rest days are important to avoid injury, and so is cross training(biking, swiming, etc.). It works. Good luck!
    Week Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday
    1 Rest 3 mi Cross Train 3 mi Rest 4 mi 3 mi EZ
    2 Rest 3 mi Rest 3 mi CT or Rest 5 mi 3 mi EZ
    3 Rest 3 mi CT 4 mi CT or Rest 6 mi 3 mi EZ
    4 Rest 3 mi Rest 4 mi CT or Rest 4 mi 3 mi EZ
    5 Rest 4 mi CT 4 mi CT or Rest 6 mi 3 mi EZ
    6 Rest 4 mi CT 4 mi CT or Rest 8 mi 3 mi EZ
    7 Rest 4 mi CT 4 mi CT or Rest 10 mi 3 mi EZ
    8 Rest 4 mi CT 4 mi CT or Rest 8 mi 3 mi EZ
    9 Rest 4 mi CT 4 mi CT or Rest 12 mi Rest
    10 4 miEZ 4 mi Rest 4 mi CT or Rest 10 mi 3 mi EZ
    11 Rest 4 mi CT 4 mi CT or Rest 14 mi 3 mi EZ
    12 Rest 5 mi CT 5 mi CT or Rest 10 mi 3 mi EZ
    13 Rest 4 mi CT 5 mi CT or Rest 16 mi 3 mi EZ
    14 Rest 4 mi CT 5 mi CT or Rest 12 mi 3 mi EZ
    15 Rest 4 mi CT 5 mi CT or Rest 18 mi Rest
    16 3 mi EZ 5 mi Rest 6 mi CT or Rest 12 mi 3 mi EZ
    17 Rest 4 mi CT 6 mi CT or Rest 20 mi 3 mi EZ
    18 Rest 4 mi CT 4 mi CT or Rest 12 mi 3 mi EZ
    19 Rest 3 mi CT 3 mi CT or Rest 8 mi 3 mi EZ
    20 Rest 2 mi CT rest CT Rest rest
  • SatchGallamax
    SatchGallamax Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I haven't run a full marathon (although it's one of my goals) but I'm finding that weight lifting is really helping me become a much faster/better runner (and it helps prevent injuries).
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I just got my butt chewed by an orthopedic dr for not having several years of running experience before running a marathon - I didn't tell him I'd ran 2 :) So based on his advice - run a lot before taking on a marathon, he said 5 years - I've been running since 2010.

If anything - I'd tell you to work up - train for a 5k first, then a 10k, then a half marathon. Make sure you have a bunch of time to commit, marathon training really does take a lot of additional time away from friends, family, work commitments. Make sure you have time to run, eat, sleep, stretch, cross-train, get massages, and repeat daily for 18 weeks.
  • secretladyspider
    Options
    Wow... I did not expect so many responses! Thanks, all of you guys!