Any ladies/couples loosing weight to help conceive?

Options
124»

Replies

• arcticflower
    arcticflower Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have been TTC for 2 years now with no success. I'm hoping that losing some weight will help my chances.

I've lost about 15 pounds so far over the last six months mostly through diet. I'm changing my weight loss strategy to include exercise, as I feel weak and tired a lot. I used to be a crazy athlete and I miss the feeling of being fit. So the new plan is to exercise moderately at least 3 times a week. I hope to lose a pound a week. I live in the arctic so I don't do outdoor stuff such as jogging (too cold!), so my exercise tends to consist of hitting the treadmill or doing a workout video. Lately I like Jillian Michaels 30 day shred and P90X. Though I am not fit enough right now to do all of P90X (it's crazy tough!), I keep up as best I can. I am seeing improvement and am able to do more and more each time I do the workout.

I'm new to these boards, and looking for TTC friends that are also trying to lose weight, so please feel free to add me if you like. We can keep each other motivated! I'm trying to lose another 25 pounds.
  • lawandfitness
    lawandfitness Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    I felt the need to reply to this thread even though it was started a few months ago...

Me and my hubby wanted to start a family shortly after we got married. We were TTC for about a year with no result. I weighed around 255 and knew I was living an unhealthy lifestyle. I started eating properly and walking vigorously 4 times per week. 3 months later, after 25 pounds gone, I got pregnant (and weighed 230) I got pregnant with my second at 272 (didn't lose after baby #1)

I just wanted to let all the posters who are TTC know that it can happen!!! All the best!!! Friend me or message me if you have any Q's I will be happy to help (if I can!)
  • mightyafrodyte
    mightyafrodyte Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Bump for later reading.
  • tinydancer4
    tinydancer4 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    We're planning on trying in 2013. I haven't got that much to lose, so for me it's not about losing weight so much as just being healthy and getting the nutrients I need to conceive a healthy baby.

In the past, I've gone whole days eating zero fruit and veg and drinking a ton of wine and coffee. I have been known to eat cake for dinner. It's not a good way to live!
  • starrynigh8
    starrynigh8 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I am trying to lose weight in order to conceive and to also have a healthy pregnancy. I was diagnosed with PCOS last January and my doctor said the more weight I lose the easier it will be to conceive without hormone treatments and what not. We are hoping to start trying next fall/winter, which around the time we'll turn 30. I am hoping to reach my weight loss goal at least a few months before we starting trying to have a baby...I'd like to enjoy having a nice body before I get big with a baby. lol I've also been looking into workouts that are safe for pregnant women so I can keep exercising even after getting pregnant.
  • kuriboshoe
    kuriboshoe Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am hoping to TTC this year as well, although we don't have an exact time to start trying, and I want to lose weight first. I lost 80 pounds a few years ago (287 to 205ish) and have kept it off, but I am having a lot of trouble losing the rest. I want to get out of the obese range at least, which for my height would be 185. I'm so tired of trying to lose weight over and over and not making progress - it was so relatively easy before!
  • mommalove1956
    mommalove1956 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    26 and had 4 m/c. the only thing the drs can tell me is to lose weight. So I am starting now. I want a baby more than anything. But I also want to be healthy. Feel free to add me as a friend! I am one of those that likes to tell people to get off their butts and start moving!
  • DKrisAn
    DKrisAn Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are trying to conceive as well. I am at 184.6lbs. My gyno also told me it would be much easier to conceive if I get closer to a healthier weight. I started walking 3 miles a day and doing Jillian Michaels' Body Revolution program with my hubby. We are both encouraging each other to become healthy.
  • LioshaM
    LioshaM Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    8 years ago :-) I decided I would do Weight Watchers, Core Plan. I lost 30 lbs in 5 months (January-May). Although I wasn't actively trying to get pregnant; however, I did stop taking BC pills December of that month. I got pregnant May of that year after losing the 30 lbs, my baby boy just celebrated his 7th birthday this past week.

I was at 245 and dropped down to 215 before conceiving. I really do think the weight loss had a whole lot to do with it. Although I've known some morbidly obese women to conceive and give birth, it was very difficult as they developed high blood pressure and other complications as the due date neared.
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I'm done with having babies but last year we discovered my 35yr old sister who doesn't have any children was going through early monopause. After TTC for years it was such a blow for her and brother in law.

Last year I told them I wanted to donate eggs for their IVF treatment. There is a 3+ year waiting list around here for a donor.

I started to lose weight as an incentive for this as the hospital policy was that I would need a BMI under 30. As it turned out the hospital said to keep losing weight but that if I was healthy and suitable I would never be turned away due to high BMI.

So it was the kick up the bum to start me off on my weight loss, although the weight loss got easier once they said that as it took some pressure off. I managed to lose 40lbs by the end of the year and am sticking with it to lose the remaining 40 to get to a healthy weight.

Just had blood tests the beginning of January to check FSH levels and all the other stuff and just got results back and all levels are perfectly fine and healthy. So hopefully we'll be kicking the process off next month and I am so so hoping and praying that it results in a baby for my sis!!

Anyone in a similar boat feel free to message or add me as a friend xxx
  • JennsPups
    Options
    My husband and I got married in November last year and would like to start trying to conceive this summer. We both want to lose some weight so I can have a healthy pregnancy and so we can be good examples for our family. I'd like to lose 50 pounds at least.
  • katielinds
    katielinds Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Yes! I am 29 years old, and I am ready to be a mom. But my body isn't. I need to lose some weight before we begin trying, and thankfully, my husband is extremely supportive (and also on a weight-loss journey of his own!)

We have been going to the gym as often as we can (our minimum goal is 3x per week) and doing 40 minutes on the treadmill each time. We are going to start circuit training soon.

I have my MFP app set so that I'll lose 1.5 lbs per week. I have a lot to lose, but don't want to push myself too hard in the beginning. I want this to be long term and realistic. I have been debating setting it to '2lbs' per week. We will see in a few weeks how I am feeling.

I am hoping to have some decent weight loss by July, and then we will begin trying to get pregnant. And my weight loss journey won't end there!

Having a baby is so important to me. It's the best motivator I've ever had. With my already high blood pressure, shortness of breath on exertion, etc.... I've finally gotten the message loud and clear. Enough is enough!

Best of luck to you! You are NOT ALONE!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!