Filling meals?

Options
I've noticed for the longest time that I'll eat, like A LOT, and then still want more and more :S are there any meals that full you up for a long time but aren't necessarily bad for you?? Thank you so much!!

Replies

• DreamerOfFastFood
    Options
    Oh and if you also have the recipes or something that would be awesome!! Not necessary though :)
  • AphelionPDX
    Options
    I don't have any recipes for you at the moment, but foods that will help you feel fuller longer are good fats. Avocado, nuts, olive oil, olives, seeds, dark chocolate. Beans also work.
  • JustANumber85
    JustANumber85 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Eat balanced, portion controlled meals at regular intervals and you wont/shouldnt over eat.

For example at lunch, dont just eat a sandwich and call it lunch. Of course youll want more! Eat a sandwich (peanut butter or turkey are good and filling), fruit & veggies or even a small side salad.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Foods high in fiber and protein seem to do the trick for me. For example a chicken breast, sweet potato, and 2 cups of broccoli.
  • cnash1303
    Options
    Protein is the key when it comes to filling meals. It is the slowest burning/digesting, thats why beans make you fill full. Lean protein such as chicken and fish (tuna is my choice) are good places to start. When i get hungry, i usually just put a little salt and pepper (or lemon pepper seasoning) in a can of tuna and just eat it right out of the can. Of coarse water plays a big part too, make sure you are hydrated.

You can also take the high fiber route. Granola, whole wheat bread, and almonds (also have protein, great for filling up...usually i eat ten and then drink some water and wait a few minutes and if I am not full I will eat five more) are a few examples.
  • katemateg
    katemateg Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Also look at whether its real hunger or something else. Most of us tend to eat way more than we need to, often because everyone else around us does. I also find when I am stuffing my face with chocolate its not hunger. If you want say an apple or one thing heathy you may still be hungry but if you want more pasta or cheese or pudding for example you are probably enjoying the flavours more than your body is telling you it needs more.
  • DreamerOfFastFood
    Options
    Gahh I've got to write all of this down somewhere :) thanks a lot!!!
  • Marieevans813
    Marieevans813 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Add a flax muffin to your day. You can google the recipe. It has made a huge difference in my eating. It really fills you up and impacts your eating for the remainder of the day.
  • novarugger10
    novarugger10 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hydrate hydrate hydrate. A lot of the time, we think we're hungry when really we're dehydrated. Drinking a glass of water before every meal will fill you up a bit and prevent over eating. Drinking plenty of water throughout the day will also suppress feelings of hunger. Small, protein-rich and/or fiber-rich snacks between meals will also help. Baby carrots/raw veggies, hard boiled eggs, mixed nuts are all good snack foods.
  • Stdavis53
    Stdavis53 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Someone mentioned it above, but Sweet Potatoes are your friend. A large is less than 200 calories and full of vitamins and nutrients. Not to mention they are super filling!

*edit*
    I also have a cup that is 24 oz that I drink before I eat any meal. That way I am full and don't overeat.
  • Yani51
    Yani51 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I found this documentary from another MFP member and I think it is a terrific educational guide to weight reduction.

http://documentaryheaven.com/10-things-you-need-to-know-about-losing-weight/

The whole video is worth watching but if you are mostly concerned about 'feeling fuller for longer" start the video at 26:10.
    Tip #5 - (this is well know) Protein staves off hunger pains: Eat more protein - the holy grail for dieters (learn which foods are highest in protein)
    Tip #6 - (@ 32:43) Soup keeps you feeling fuller for longer: Water, blended in soup does not pass quickly from the stomach, as would a separate glass of water.