scale addict

Options
2»

Replies

• wmoomoo
    wmoomoo Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    When I went to a cross-fit gym to lose weight, I weighted myself everyday because I wanted to see result. However, during that time, I gained 4 lbs which is the opposite of what I wanted. And that stopped me from going for 1 month thinking I will lose them if I stop exercising, but of course, those lbs just stayed there. I was depressed but I wanted to be healthy and happy. So I start doing researches on how to lose weight "correctly" and only step on the scale bi-weekly. I learned to let it go, scale number doesn't mean anything. I am working toward lowering my body fat, and that's the goal I am going for.

During the Christmas party, everybody said I lose weight since Thanksgiving. But in reality, I weighted the same as I did during Thanksgiving, but I am a little bit more tone than I was.
  • Yaya1976
    Yaya1976 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I only weigh myself on Saturday mornings. I don't stress out about the scale. I just keep track once a week. Not sure how to help. Have someone hide your scale and have them bring it to you once a week. Or just get rid of it all together.
  • Yani51
    Yani51 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I regard the scales as an invaluable tool in losing weight. However if you weigh yourself "multiple times every day" and the scales freak you out, you are using them for the wrong purpose. I learnt months ago, from that inspirational MFP member 'California gal', that weight loss occurs in chunks. It is not linear. So freaking out over what the scales measure "multiple times every day" is pointless. For me, the scales can show zero weight loss for most of the week and it won't bother me because I know there will be other weeks where my weight will drop more than I expected (then I freak out that I may be losing weight too fast - lol.)
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    No harm. Last time I was a member of MFP (deleted and restarted since then), I would only weigh once every two weeks to one month. It was triple-discouraging to weigh in after working hard all month and see that I was up 3 pounds. Now I plan to weigh more often so that I can see a trend much sooner. I notice that I can go up or down 3 pounds in a single day, so I guess I just weighed in on a heavier day, but it really freaked me out.

I had something like that happen to me about 10 weeks in. I was weighing only once a week (sometimes every two weeks) at my mother's and for 3 weeks in a row, I had no loss, and once a 1 pound gain. Each time though, I found myself later that day running to the bathroom every few minutes, like I had been retaining water and it was flushing itself out of me. But I had no way to go back and recheck until the next week. That's when I bought a scale and I weigh every morning, just once. I want to be able to see the trends, especially if I have a reason to think I might be retaining water. I feel I have a good handle on what the number REALLY means so I got brave and weighed myself this morning after 4 days of Christmas overeating/diet break and saw a 7 pound gain! But I KNOW this has to primarily be water because I have eaten so much sodium, plus I did track calories and I know a 7 pound FAT gain is not possible. Still a good wake up call, no matter what the reason for it.

I also take pics and measurements to balance it out for myself mentally.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!