3 Meals but still have 700 calories left?

Options
So, I have no idea what I did today, but I had a very full breakfast (bacon, waffles, milk), homemade beef stew for lunch, and what we call "floating biscuits" (biscuits on top of a creamy chicken soup) and I still have about 700 calories left to eat according to my calculator (factoring in my calories burned from 30 Day Shred today). Say what?!

I feel like that can't be right, but even after going back and reading all the nutrition labels for everything I ate today, the number is accurate.

I can tell my body is going to be hungry soon and I am hanging out with a friend later. Maybe treat myself to a chicken quesadilla (no creamy jalepeno sauce) at Taco Bell?

What do you guys do when you've eaten too little calories for the day?

Replies

• NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    If I'm hungry, I eat them. If I'm not, I don't - I 'bank' them for another day when I'm sure to be hungrier than my goals permit, haha :flowerforyou:
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I would eat a peanut butter sandwich and a glass of milk.
  • rrrayondesoleil
    Options
    I would gorge myself on peanut butter.
  • Heyyleigh
    Heyyleigh Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    PB sandwich and milk sounds gooddddddddddddddddd!

I need to be able to see ur diary to know what your doing.
  • a_certain_shade_of_green
    Options
    have a beer :drinker:

or... maybe just something that youve been wanting for a while but you've thought better of. for example ive had a box of fererro rocher looking at me for 3 days, and i finally gave in today and had 5 cos i had spare cals :blushing:
  • lrose50
    lrose50 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    700 calories is a lot - I never eat back all of my excercise calories (how many did you burn?) I usually have a handful of good nuts and a glass of milk, however, if I had that many left I might induldge in icecream LOL
    What about snacks? Are you eating snacks or just 3 meals a day?
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Yeah, how do you calculate your exercise calories? If you use the MFP numbers, they are quite often very much above your actual burns. This is why most people who use those numbers don't eat all their cals back. If you are using a HRM, and are measuring and weighing all your food accurately, then just take the extra cals burned as a bonus, if you aren't hungry.
  • meetmyalterego
    Options
    3 meals usually. I'm not really a snacking kind of person. If I'm a little hungry and it's not too close to dinner or lunch, I'll have a piece of cheese. I know I should be snacking because apparently that keeps your metabolism up, but I really hate crunchy food and that's where most snacks tend lean towards (pretzels, chips, crackers). I'm trying to find a good snack that's not just yogurt, lol.
  • meetmyalterego
    Options
    Yeah, how do you calculate your exercise calories? If you use the MFP numbers, they are quite often very much above your actual burns. This is why most people who use those numbers don't eat all their cals back. If you are using a HRM, and are measuring and weighing all your food accurately, then just take the extra cals burned as a bonus, if you aren't hungry.

I use a HRM monitor and it's always been pretty close to the MFP for my 30 Day Shred which I log as circuit training. Without exercise, my surplus would have been about 557.
  • deksgrl
    Options
    Snack on fruits and veggies, hard boiled eggs, nuts, use hummus as a veggie dip.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I agree with other posters - add nuts, eggs, other high fat/protein items to your snacking. They will fill in the gaps and are not a lot to eat if you are not real hungry.

You could also save those calries for another day or have ice cream. I would have ice cream. :happy:
  • raeless2011
    raeless2011 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I tend to only eat my daily amount, and not eat the exercise burned calories.
  • bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I honestly eat them if I'm hungry, but like others said MFP numbers aren't as accurate as they would be with an HRM. I would say that your best bet is eating a bit if you are hungry and then leaving the rest to help if you go over another day. My calories are weekly not daily. :)
  • Shas2228
    Shas2228 Posts: 187
    Options
    I never, and I repeat NEVER eat back the calories I burn. Ever. I only eat if I'm hungry. I figure over eating is what got me in trouble in the first place, so I don't push it.

I've lost 50 pounds since September 12th, and I stay between 1200 and 1600 cals even though MFP has given me 1770.

With the exception of today. I'm at 1,018. And I'm not hungry and satisfied after dinner. So I won't eat again till tomorrow.. which could very well end up being a bigger calorie day. Every day varies.

If you're too worried about it, as suggested above.. eat some peanut butter. A couple TBS is over 100 cals I believe.
  • meetmyalterego
    Options
    I'm not going to try to eat back all the calories, but I am starting to get a little hungry so I may indulge just a bit.

The funny thing is that I wasn't really looking at calories or worrying at all today! I do need to switch to turkey bacon, though. It's much healthier.
  • ducoteycd
    ducoteycd Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I would eat a peanut butter sandwich and a glass of milk.

This! Healthy, lots of calories, and delicious.
    Maybe slice up some banana and make it peanut butter and banana sandwich!
  • meetmyalterego
    Options
    I ended up treating myself to a sweet tea and chicken quesadilla and got it down to 7 calories remaining. :)
  • stonel94
    stonel94 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    don't eat till your hungry
    I always have calories left (even on christmas) because I work out a lot, and I want to leave at least 100cal bumper incase my calories burned are off or i underestimated a portion size or something, so I would sugest never eating all your calories unless it's like a special occasion
  • deksgrl
    Options
    She does use a HRM so her calorie burns are not just guesstimates, so she should be okay with not leaving a buffer.
  • L_Stradford
    L_Stradford Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I eat anything sweet and I'm guaranteed to meet my goal if not go over at that point.