DISNEY VACATION...?!?!

Options
What do you do on vacation? Yes, I hear all the time, "just eat because it is vacation". And that is what I plan to do but I don't want to gain 10 pounds and last time I went to Disney World I gained 5 pounds. Which, that is not just horrible bad, but I am down 10 more pound from where I was the last time I went back this past May, we are going again in February. So, what are your tricks and tips to not binging and what do you do to stay motivated and on track? I believe I am going to keep in mind that this is vacation, not a picnic, and keep in mind as to how I will feel when I eat to much and I am yuck and bloated and miserable. I did that during Thanksgiving and Christmas and it worked perfect and I didn't gain. It's just with DW there is nothing healthy there and I will be eating the food at least 2 times a day and snacks. TIPS PLEASE!!! Thanks friends!

Replies

• cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I've gone to Disney twice while on my weight loss journey, and I've lost weight both times. There are healthy options, such as fruit and veggies available for snacks, though they aren't as available as ice cream. My biggest tip is to continue to track everything you eat, it keeps you honest on how quickly those treats add up. I also took advantage of the hotel fitness rooms and worked out at least a couple times each trip. If you don't want to track while your eating, take a picture of your food so you can go back and track it later.
  • NatashaShen
    NatashaShen Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I'm going to Disneyland in Feb also. I just plan to do everything in moderation (get the small not the large). I wont be able to track while I'm gone so taking pictures of the food is a great idea, thanks.
  • simplyshrinking
    simplyshrinking Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I'm going on a cruise in July and I'm curious about the same thing... Food is available 24/7 and I need to know tips! :-S
  • MaryRegs
    MaryRegs Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I was there this past April-and lost 5 pounds with walking and watching what I ate. Logged it all. Wasn't about to go off track!
  • a_mandolin_
    a_mandolin_ Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I always lose weight when I go to Disney - unintentionally! You spend all day walking and the food is far too expensive to eat, lol. We bring granola bars or something similar to snack on, or if we do splurge on food at the park, get something small and share it with everybody.

I'm going in March, I can't wait to see the scale after ;)
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    I know you just said what everyone says.....but it's vacation, screw it!! Whenever I gain weight from a vacation or holiday, it's always gone again within a week if I get back to my good habits as soon as I return. This past August I went to FL for vaca....got back home and found I had gained 8 pounds. I got back to my normal routine as soon as I got home, those 8 pounds were gone in about a week. Good luck to you!
  • Heather1899
    Heather1899 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I took a 3 day vacation and didn't go anywhere!! I stayed home/read/hung out on the porch/went shopping ect.
    Some good things to carry around maybe:
    Portable protein like: turkey jerkey, almonds, cans of tuna (could make little tuna sandwiches)
    Healthy fruits and veggies that don't need to be in a fridge all the time-apple, banana, canned fruit?
    Things like whole grain bread and crackers to make sandwiches, dip into your tuna...
    Peanut butter-you can make sandwiches with peanut butter or dips veggies like baby carrots or celery
    Lots of water

Does this help? I guess you just need to be creative with meals and realize it will only last like a week...
  • 6packb450
    Options
    You'll do LOTS of walking... and there ARE healthier choices... just have to plan better. :flowerforyou:

Love the World!
  • Heather1899
    Heather1899 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Oh and something else!!
    During my vaca I went to live classes at a fitness center I'd never be able to go to during the day because I'd be at work. I tried a Zumba class and Turbo Kick class.
    Are there any cool exercise places available to try? Like swimming or special places to walk/hike?
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    We just went to Disneyland in October. It was a lot of fun. The first night we had the ginormous Disney turkey legs for dinner, met with hubby's sister & her family for dinner the next night, went to medieval times for dinner on third night, my mom came down to play with our 4yo so we could have an adult day and took us to dinner, and... yeah. It wasn't too bad. During the day we kept food in our room (went grocery shopping to get the food we wanted to eat to stay healthy) and the hotel offered healthy breakfast options every morning.
    Don't stress it.
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    At Disney it is easier to keep things in check. Mostly because you are walking/standing a TON during the day. I found that I burned enough calories to maintain despite eating horribly.

Cruises are harder because there isn't usually as much walking. More relaxing going on. Plus, the food is usually all included so it's FREE. >_< You could make an effort to walk the entire boat often or hit the gym facilities if they have some. Swimming is a great workout, but the pool is likely going to be too crowded to do laps. :/
  • gimmegimmemoar
    gimmegimmemoar Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I'm going to DIsney World in February.. The last two times I went to Disney I didn't gain anything luckily. I think it was because I walked so much when I was there! We made sure we had a big breakfast and had our meals and a few little snacks, so I feel like my family didnt eat a massive amount, but we grazed!
  • bcmlam1001
    bcmlam1001 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips guys =) One problem is that we purchase the Dining Plus plan that includes a snack, quick service meal and sit down meal a day. My hubby likes the nice places to eat and we will be going to 3 Character dinings also. So, Our trip includes alot of dining and snacks and we stay at the resorts so we don't leave DW the entire time we are there. I do agree that the walking and being on the go all day more than likely does help since I only gained 5 last time and I ate until I thought I couldn't eat anymore. I am going to attemp wiser choices this time around for sure tho and see what a difference it makes =) And yes, I am the type that can splurge on vacation and go back to normal when I get home and lose is pretty quick but I just really wanted to make it a healthier vacation this time!
  • KariAnn14
    Options
    First of all, I LOVE Disney World! We went this past January utilizing the Dining Plan also, and much to my surprise, I ended up losing 3 pounds. The biggest thing for me was choosing better snacks and drinks. Instead of getting a sugary soda, I'd drink water, or unsweet tea/coffee with splenda if I wanted caffiene. And instead of getting an ice cream sundae with syrup or a side a fries, I'd get a Dole Whip (yuuum), fruit or something 'green'. With those guidelines in place, I basically ate whatever I wanted during the meals themselves... you really do walk a ton, so that helps burn mega-calories! I was a little stressed prior to going because I didn't want to feel like I was "dieting" on vacation, but I didn't want to eat terribly either - same as you. When you look for it, there are lots of healthier options at Disney at every single meal. Hope ya'll have fun!
  • lissavlog
    Options
    I'm going on a cruise in July and I'm curious about the same thing... Food is available 24/7 and I need to know tips! :-S

take the stairs!!! haha. last time i went on a cruise i didn't gain or lose anything. i made a conscious effort to take the stairs - never the elevator. and take advantage of the gym - that's one thing i didn't do. i'm going on a cruise again in april & i vow to use the gym this time around. also, every ship has a lido deck where you can walk laps around the ship. they also have jogging tracks.
  • sarahmania
    sarahmania Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm at Disney now and it's Christmas time so kind of double whammy against dieting. I've been here a week now and no idea what I weigh which is kind of killing me! We are staying in a villa do I'm going for a healthy breakfast (porridge unsweetened and half a grapefruit) and trying to eat healthily the rest of the time. There are plenty of healthy snacks out there but it's tough on the will power for a greedy person like me. I haven't been logging on mfp at all but just trying to be really disciplined and not undo all the good work that I've done before getting here. I've lurked lots on this site and the posts are really encouraging and I've done stupid things like looking in the mirror and telling myself how well I'm doing before a potentially tricky meal. I've walked loads tried to eat when I'm hungry and I've I've fancied something naughty had a bite of some one else's. This is a holiday of a lifetime do have tried to get any weight gain into perspective but ideally hope to have maintained while I'm here. Hope that helps , oh and you can bring healthy snacks to the parks with you. Xx
  • threeonethree
    threeonethree Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Just try to make healthier choices. Sounds easy but it can be difficult. Stop eating when you feel full. You are on vacation, enjoy yourself!

I was on vacation this past year for a week and actually lost alot of weight. Ate at some nice restaurants too.... guess the walking in 105 degree heat made up for everything. haha
  • mmmnhmr
    Options
    I was at disney world on the same dining plan in nov. I found that for quick serve, they didn't have healthy options on the menu but usually had carrot sticks or fruit if you asked for it. I took some crystal light single serve powder to spice up the water a bit which helped me avoid soda too.
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    You will do a lot of walking when you are at Disney... and honestly You will probably put on a few pounds when you are there because you are eating foods that you aren't used to eating... but it isn't 'real' weight... Just water retention from your body not knowing what to do since you are out of your routine... should come back off in a week or two once you get back... Just avoid the scales until you've been back for 2 weeks and I'm sure you will be back to normal :)

Really watch your sodium intake if you can... that packs on the most pounds the fastest for me... and watch sugars if you can help it... but those mickey bars are delish...
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I love going to Disney! I tend to gain a couple pounds but once back home it comes right off. We walk a lot. We enjoy treats but don't go over board. There's no calories at Disney right :-)