i dont want to punk out

Options
2»

Replies

• iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    Muscle soreness is normal but shouldn't be bad enough that you can't work through it. I dont think lower back pain is normal though. What are you doing for exercise? If you are strenght training it could be because of bad form.

mostly Pilates and medium cardio i haven't lifted any types of weights, and any time i start back exercising my back always gives me problems
    So what you're saying is that your back hurts for a couple of days when you first start exercising, but after that you can do it pain-free? Or are you continously in pain even after a while? If that's the case i would see a doctor.
  • crazy4lulu
    crazy4lulu Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    you just started working out. therefore your body is not used to anything you have just done to it. do not stop... what you are feeling is the DOMS... delayed onset of muscle soreness. This is a good thing. what is not good is if you hurt sooo bad you cant possibly move as in skeletal pain. muscle soreness is a good sign that you have woken up those parts from a very deep sleep. make sure you rest well and drink plenty of water. keep going whatever you do dont stop. this too shall pass and before you know it you will be adding more weight to your strength training and getting stronger by the day!!! . keep going DOMS is a good thing!
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Separate each body part trained by at least 72 hours. E.g. train arms, don't do them again for 72 hours. Best IMO is a 7-8 day split, training each body part over about 8 days in total and the beginning again. May take you 2 weeks to train the whole body but you'll get good results as each part will be fully rested.
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Lower back soreness is okay, pain not so much. It is normal though to be sore especially just starting out. Water, rest and good food.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    I totally read this as "idw to put out." sorry. now. Serious.

Take a rest from your serious exercises and do some low impact, stretching based stuff. pilates, yoga, swimming. that way you're not getting out of your groove, just taking an active rest!
  • Lalouse
    Lalouse Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    take a break for a couple days, then go back to something light like the others are suggesting.
    always stretch after you are done with your workout
    eat protein after you are done with your workout
  • doyewole
    Options
    thanks for all the suggestions guys
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I started Pilates a couple of weeks ago - very, very beginner stuff - and found that initially some of the poses (the yoga types, especially, where you lay on your stomach and raise yourself with your arms) freakin' KILLED my lower back. It HURT. I decided to space it every other day to give my back a chance to rest.

After a week and a half of that, it didn't hurt near so much. I've now upped it every day - I can still feel it, but it hurts less and less everyday. It may just take time for your muscles and bones to become more flexible - giving yourself rest days is not a bad idea.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I started working out a couple days ago and i know its normal to feel sore and some pain but how do i know if I'm over doing it because my lower back hurts real bad and my thighs and calves are real tight and sore, to the point that i wanna take a few rest days . when i take a "few" rest days i find it hard to start back up

did you stretch after you worked out?

I had issues with the tight sore thighs and calves when I started doing barbell squats. I asked the trainer if the pain would ever go away and he told me I needed to stretch after EVERY workout. He all but took me by the hand and showed me where the stretching charts and mats were. I went and stretched that very day and the pain started to go away. Ever since then I just do more light stretching when I have any kind of tightness or pain.

do you have access to a hot tub or whirl pool? Soaking in one for like 15 minutes and taking a dose of ibuprofen should help. Also, WALK to keep your legs from getting tighter.
  • doyewole
    Options
    I started working out a couple days ago and i know its normal to feel sore and some pain but how do i know if I'm over doing it because my lower back hurts real bad and my thighs and calves are real tight and sore, to the point that i wanna take a few rest days . when i take a "few" rest days i find it hard to start back up

I had issues with the tight sore thighs and calves when I started doing barbell squats. I asked the trainer if the pain would ever go away and he told me I needed to stretch after EVERY workout. He all but took me by the hand and showed me where the stretching charts and mats were. I went and stretched that very day and the pain started to go away. Ever since then I just do more light stretching when I have any kind of tightness or pain.

do you have access to a hot tub or whirl pool? Soaking in one for like 15 minutes and taking a dose of ibuprofen should help. Also, WALK to keep your legs from getting tighter.

aside from the cool down stretching at the end of the videos i dont stretch, do i need to do more that that ?
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options

aside from the cool down stretching at the end of the videos i dont stretch, do i need to do more that that ?

sounds like you might need to. Maybe go through them a second or third time, holding them longer?